Is it bad to go over mfpals saturated fats????

Angielova
Angielova Posts: 23
edited September 25 in Introduce Yourself
I am new to this and I went over my saturated fats and iron without barely eating anything.As you all probably know it turns red when you go over those things but I still am below my needed calorie intake. For example my saturated fat says -14 should I feel bad about that? Its irritating looking at that highlighted in red. Can someone please let me know about that. Thanks

Replies

• utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Eating a lot of saturated fat can increase your risk for cardiovascular disease.

I can't see your diary to see what type of foods you're eating that are so high. The FDA recommends about 12 g of saturated fat a day I think. So for you to be over by 14 that's double.
  • Angielova
    Thanks for replying:) I had a 1/2 of pita, one hard boiled egg, and I was already over it! Is that for real?! I am also over in my vitamin A and in my vitamin c when I ate some grapes a little earlier and over in my vitamin c by 50%! should I seriously stress about it?

6050562.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • I wouldn't make it a habit with the saturated fats, it can lead to cholesterol problems among other things. Since your new at this a lot of the foods that you eat are going to surprise you. I remember when I first started I was shocked at some of the foods that I thought were healthy. Best of luck!!!
  • Angielova
    that's very surprising because people eat these foods every day like it's normal. I though it was normal....:/ It kinda scares me in to being healthy! I didn't think I ate that bad compared to most people around me lol
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Saturated fats are bad for your heart. But going over on your vitamins (through nutrition) is not a bad thing at all. I find it difficult to get even get close to my daily allowance of fats. And with saturated I'm usually in the low single digits. I always go over in carbs - I'm a complete pasta fiend. I can't imagine going over your sat fat allowance on one egg and 1/2 a pita, unless that pita was stuffed with bacon grease...Now I'm so curious I'm gonna go research eggs and pitas...
  • rlc1968
    rlc1968 Posts: 1
    Hi, I am new to Myfitness pal as well. Read lables on everything looking at the grams of fat, sugar, cholesterol, protein, etc. Breads can have a lot of fat in them and it is mostly added fat, so watch out for that. Don't stress about anything you eat. There are no bad foods, just foods that are better than others. Instead of a whole boiled egg try just the white - that eliminates almost all of the fat and cholesterol in the egg. :flowerforyou: YOu are going to be fine, do get too worked up about stuff, that often leads to falling off the wagon so to speak.
  • Angielova
    lol your funny OK you know what I think did it! I had a lean cuisine for lunch it was spinach and artichoke panini that was 310 calories that's why I ate it. BUT let me tell you I was already over before that with just having that hard boiled egg and 1/2 of pita. But I think the lean cuisine really did it. I know that Lean cuisine is high in sodium but I didn't realize it might be so high in saturated fat....

6050562.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    My suggestion is you start by just watching your total carbs, fats, and protein. Once you keep those balanced and consistent then add the other values and work on keeping them all balanced. Try eating some of each during each meal. Also, it's ok to go over on Vit C and A, the problem is being low in those areas.
  • Angielova
    thanks ric1968 and everyone who is responding:) I will not get stressed out about it I will just be more mindful
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    I don't worry about going over on my vitamins (A, C, Calc, Iron). But watch fat, carbs and protein. Sodium as well. Anytime i know I'm having a lean cuisine I usually have like oatmeal and like pasta/barley with some veggies for dinner.
  • The idea that saturated fats should be restricted to improve heart health or prevent obesity is controversial. Always has been. You would do better to look learn how to limit your omega-6 intake. Google "Your Brain on Omega 3" and "1 of 4 Bill Lands" and "Susan Allport" to get started learning about the omega-6 hazard.

For reassurance regarding saturated fat intake, Google "Controversial Saturated Fat" and "healthy saturated fats" and "Heart Surgeon Speaks."
  • arodriguez24
    arodriguez24 Posts: 81 Member
    Not all sat fats are bad, some are good for your heart, I think there are about 12-15 types of Sat fats. It all depends on the type of food.
This discussion has been closed.