Carrying over calories?

Options
I was under my net calories by 300 the other day (and wasn't an exercise day for me). Someone told me I should carry those over throughout the next few days in order to make up for this a little. Is this the case or should I just move on and forget about them? I'm just worried about messing up when I'm only a week in =( and understanding everything else as far as net calories, eating exercise (mostly), etc. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't... it's not like cell phone service with rollover minutes, hehe.Your body can only digest so many per day, and you only need a certain amount of energy. Stick with a balanced, healthy diet every day (to the best of your ability) and start each day fresh! :smile:

Edit to add: there's no need to "make up" for calories you didn't use. As long as you're staying at a healthy amount of calories, you're good to go!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You "reset" every night when you go to bed, no "carry-overs".
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I do mine for the week instead of the day... That way if I'm sick or if I pig out one day... it doesn't affect my whole week!

The longer you are on this site the more you will see that on almost everything there are a hundred different opinions, and for most of us, it works! So do what feels right to you!
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you couldn't save those calories. What you're talking about sounds very similar to zig zagging or calorie cycling, which some people have used with success to break a plateau:

http://www.answerfitness.com/316/zig-zag-dieting-fitness-nerd/

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#

Search these boards, too, for posts.
  • welcominganewself
    Options
    Whatever works for you is best. I personally do not do that, but I also don't let myself stress if I go over a little bit every once in awhile. I figure that even if I go over occasionally I am doing better than before I joined this site.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the idea of "carrying over" or "saving" calories. Your body doesn't know that if you eat 300 extra calories on Friday that you didn't eat on Monday that that's why you're eating more calories. It's not like you can reserve 300 of the calories that you burned on Monday to add them to what you burn on Friday in order to cover those extra 300 that you eat.
  • Fenyx
    Fenyx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm glad to know that at least overall I don't have to worry about it lol. That day was such a fluke, but now that I have all of your helpful tips I know what I'll do (just not worry about it for now). It's also good to know that that is a method for dealing with a plateau (which I have yet to hit so I'm sure it's coming). Thanks again. =D