Low cal sausage roll?

Options
Help! My OH bought a pack of 12 sausage rolls. I love sausage rolls, but at almost 250 calories for one its not worth it. Does anyone know of any low(er) calorie sausage rolls?

Replies

• abbey1234
    Options
    Sorry I don't know of any recipes! I buy them for the family when we're out and have been tempted a few times but resisted for the same reason as you but I guess if I REALLY fancied one I would have it with a nice healthy salad as a meal rather than just a snack!
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    Can't imagine how you could get low cal pastry - for sausages venison sausages are about half the calories of pork/beef - and damn tasty.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Why not just have one and not worry about it? Sausage is in general a very high calorie, fatty meat. Bacon looks very healthy when comparing it to sausage :D
  • zilla
    zilla Posts: 46
    Options
    A bit of DYI. Lean mince, cooked with some onion, garlic, herbs and spices - then use a couple of sheets of filo pastry. I mean, it's not as healthy as a salad... but it's how you can have your sausage roll minus the guilt.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    To lower the calorie of the sausage; try getting lean meat? Venison sausage? Vegan/vegetarian sausage? Mix the meat with something lower calorie to bulk it up?

For the pastry: Basic puff pastry is flour and butter. Try a low calorie margarine? Use less of the pastry? Use something else entirely? (Nothing really comes to mind, true).
  • Shofie_1910
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll give these ideas a try =]
  • barbsus1991
    barbsus1991 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    sainsburys do a low fat one xD not much cal difference but still better =] and Quorn sausage rolls are tons better, not sure if they'd be as good though!