Food Staples

Options
I am going grocery shopping today to stock my house with some friendly snacks and food to help with my weight loss. What are some of your favourite must haves? Any and all ideas are welcome. I am always looking for new foods :)

Thanks!

Replies

• LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I stopped using processed shredded cheese in my salads and now I use a fruit flavored goat cheese....so yummy! :)
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Thin buns & thin bagels (Arnold, Thomas & Natures Own make these)
    Canned fruit (fresh fruit is expensive and goes bad too fast right now for me)
    Granola bars (I like Nature Valley Peanut butter variety)

I haven't had my coffee yet, if I can think of more I'll come back! :drinker:
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Brown rice
    Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Frozen fruit (berries in my case--excellent in smoothies!)
    Skim milk
    Low-fat cottage cheese (the non-fat has so much more sodium that it's not worth it to me)
    Laura's Lean Beef (very low-fat ground beef)
    A few Lean Cuisines for emergencies
    Hummus and baby carrots
    Yogurt
    Organic spring mix (salad greens)
    Sweet ptoatoes
    Whole wheat pasta
    Kashi Go Lean cereal
    Oatmeal (not the instant kind--the sort you actually have to cook!)
    Whole wheat tortillas or Carb Balance tortillas
    Reduced fat cheese
    Eggs
    Peanut butter
    Almonds

If you haven't cooked much at home before, you're probably going to end up buying a lot of spices so you can add flavor to things.

That's off the top of my head. Maybe I'll think of some more after coffee! ;)
  • catwoodard
    catwoodard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bran Crispbread - its only available around me at the health food store - but low calories with high fiber.
    Hummus
    Kellogg's Fiber Plus Bars - these are my chocolate fix, it feels like I am eating a candy bar but for only 120 calories and 9 grams of fiber.
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Nestle fat free hot chocolate - 20 calories a pack . It doesn't taste great, but it's not bad and it does help with the chocolate cravings. Oh, and grapefruits.
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Breyers smooth and dreamy ice cream sandwiches (160 cals), weight watchers toffee bars (100 cals each), ww ice cream candy bars (150 cals), laughing cow cheese (35 cals), special k crackers ( 17 for 90 cals), chocolate kisses (22 cals each), marshmallows (25 cals each), and 100 cal mini bags of popcorn . These all satisfy my snacking, which by the way I love to do.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Add:

Eggs (you can separate out the whites!)
    Oatmeal (Plain)
    Low Fat / Fat Free Yogurt (Great in a smoothie!)
    White Wheat bread
    Bananas
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    fat free half n half
    brummel and brown yogurt butter
    sara lee 45 calories bread
    turkey smoked sausage
    greek yogurt
    fat free sour cream
  • fitnessfoodtravel
    fitnessfoodtravel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    KashiGoLean
    Whole wheat and spelt flour to bake loafs and muffins
    Dried fruit like goji berries, cranberries, etc.
    Cashews, pumpkin seeds, and walnuts
    Frozen bananas ( I put them in the food processor with a bit of soy milk and a teaspoon of cocoa powder for a healthier version of ice cream/frozen yogurt)
    Veggies
    Hummus
    Brown rice cakes
    Kale chips
    Home-made chutneys
    Home-made baked sweet potato chips

Here is a website with some ideas for you and shopping lists for overall meal planning: http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Meal-Planning.aspx.

You have a great list to get you started!
    PS I would stay away from processed foods with artificial sweeteners, chocolate milk, etc. I don't want to be rude, but some of the stuff other people recommended is actually bad for you, ie. WW toffee bars, fat free half and half, and 20 calories hot chocolate.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Onions, tomatoes, butter beans, cannelini beans, vital wheat gluten, hemp powder, bread flour, rice, red peppers, chickpeas, baby spinach, houmous, high bake water biscuits, apples, bananas, grapes (freeze them!), wholemeal bread, oatmeal, soy milk, garlic puree, tomato puree, vegetable stock cubes, lentil soup.

The houmous and biscuits make a nice snack/mini meal. High bake water biscuits (not sure what they're called in the US) are like crackers, but smaller and thinner, and so slightly less calories each. That adds up.

I make my own baked beans with the onions, tomatoes, and butter beans. They're much nicer and more special than ones out of a tin, plus they have actual veggies in there. Recipe --> http://vegan20eleven.blogspot.com/search/label/Baked Beans

I enjoy baking my own bread rolls. Rivercote ciabatta mix is lovely, simple, and makes nice little rolls that go well with soup. I generally get the bread mix and the soup from Lidl. Their Bulwark lentil soup is 39p for two portions, about 86 calories, low in fat, sugar AND salt.:D And I can generally get 16 small rolls from the breadflour, so each one works out to about 7p. Thrifty.

Frozen grapes are a lovely snack, seriously.

You can make a great salad from one sliced red pepper, some chopped tomatoes, a drained tin of chickpeas, and some rice (about 30g). The rice is not necessary, but I like it. It's so filling, this recipe. I have trouble finishing it. It's good cold too, so I generally take it to work.

Baby spinach leaves are good on sammiches. They taste less watery than lettuce, and have less of a crunh. They're one of the first few leafy things I trained myself to like (I was raised on chips/fries, and didn't learn to eat veggies regularly until last year), and were easy to add in when I made a rule about including some kind of fruit or vegetable at every meal.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    PS I would stay away from processed foods with artificial sweeteners, chocolate milk, etc. I don't want to be rude, but some of the stuff other people recommended is actually bad for you, ie. WW toffee bars, fat free half and half, and 20 calories hot chocolate.

I'd agree. Plus, stuff made from fresh is nicer. And, if you decide to make your own cupcakes or cookies, you can give the rest away. You look generous, get a cookie, and get the rest out of the house!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Larabars organic section
    Almond Milk
    Almonds
    Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla Yogurt (yummo with blueberries and strawberries mixed in with a little granola on top.
    Eggs
    Cabot 50% less fat cheddar cheese
    Skim milk
    Fat Free half & half
    boneless chicken breast
    bananas
    apples
    Grapes
    Strawberries
    Breakstone's - Cottage Cheese 2% Milkfat Lowfat, 30% Less Sodium
    Bake potatoes (yummo with cottage cheese on top and a little pepper)
    Sweet potatoe fries
    feta cheese
    eggs
    Bagel Thins
    Salsa
    Hummus
    Tuna Fish
    Apple sauce
    Edy's half the fat ice cream or store brand 1/2 fat
    Fudge Bars
    Popcorn
    oatmeal
    carrots
    broccoli
    frozen peppers and onions
    Turkey Pepperoni
    Frozen pizza dough
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Clementines, Pistacchios, frozen fruit, greek yogurt, apples, pears, blueberries, oatmeal, cheese, crackers, stuff for salad.

I buy Aunt Mid Garlic Viniagrette Salad dressing. And if I really want ranch I get T.Z. Marzetti's Light Ranch. 80 calories per serving, and no MSG or preservatives.
  • jeannas
    jeannas Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    bump
  • missdeehere
    missdeehere Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas suggested.

Think Fresh, Fat Free or Low Fat & Brown (whole grains)

Can't remember if I saw Low fat popcorn, Fiber One cereal, Chick Peas, kidney beans, (any beans) Sugar Free jello & pudding mix, Fat Free Dressings, Couscous or Zucchini.

I buy very ripe bananas when they are reduced & cut them up & freeze them for smoothies. I just saw on TV the other day if you run the frozen bananas through a processer & add a lil Low Fat Peanutbutter it's a mock ice cream. :-)
  • missdeehere
    missdeehere Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas suggested.

Think Fresh, Fat Free or Low Fat & Brown (whole grains)

Can't remember if I saw Low fat popcorn, Fiber One cereal, Chick Peas, kidney beans, (any beans) Sugar Free jello & pudding mix, Fat Free Dressings, Couscous or Zucchini.

I buy very ripe bananas when they are reduced & cut them up & freeze them for smoothies. I just saw on TV the other day if you run the frozen bananas through a processer & add a lil Low Fat Peanutbutter it's a mock ice cream. :-)
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MelissaGarvey
    Options
    I always keep frozen organic fruit for smoothies (less expensive than fresh), hummus and fresh carrots and celery for good snacks and kale. Kale is a superfood and I sneak it into every meal that I can. It's even good in smoothies!