more water=more thirsty

Options
kelsully
kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
I do not drink enough water. Of that I know. I truly prefer coffee but I. Try to drink an 8 oz cup between coffees...not always but onto the inquiry....
I have a kidney infection and thus have really been pushing the water. I remember now I don't drink much water now...it seems the more I drink water the "dryer" I feel. My mouth feels parched..I get a headache etc. I am not drinking so much that I could be hypotonic..just what a person should drink....does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• fairyjester
    Options
    its seems to do it to me when i first get back to drinking proper amounts of water, probably because it flushes out your body. After about the first day of incresing water that seems to go away for me.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    When I first started really drinking water as my primary drink it took my body a while to get used to it too. If you continue with it, maybe increasing by 1 glass a day until you get to where you want to be it might be a little easier.

Have you cut out any other drinks that used to replace your water? Any juice or things that might have had caffeine and/or sugar? Caffeine doesn't impact me too much but if I have too much sugar and then cut it out of my day...things get ugly! Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • bd81
    bd81 Posts: 1
    Options
    I had the same problem for years. I never drank enough water, but when I did I was immediately more thirsty or my mouth felt dry. It was so confusing. I agree with FairyJester - once you're back into drinking enough water on a regular basis that weird response goes away.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    oh good I thought it was just me. I hate to drink water- prefer unsweetend caffeine free tea. When I drink water not only does it not quench my thirst-I too still feel thirsty--it runs right through me. I might as well fill the glass and pour it in the toilet-eliminate the middle man (or woman) my husband says I am crazy, and I will get used to it. Doubt it. Also we live in the country and we are on a well, even with RO and a softner the water tastes funny. My doc said water is better but as long as it is decaf and unsweet tea is better than diet soda any day. Sorry about your kidney infection. Your headache could be a caffeine headache from diluting your usual caffeine amount- try slowly switching to decaf. I know ugh but it is really better for you in the long run. Good luck
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    I have that same problem! i'm glad I'm not alone. Water makes me so dank thirsty and that just don't make sense.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Well it is just odd....
    I do better in the summer because it is hot. I don't drink juice mostle coffee...water. and well diet pop...yes I know diet pop=bad but alas I am human. In the winter I almost always have a cup of coffee in hand just to stay warm...
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i get that too if i dont drink for water for a while, i think the headache is a result of withdrawal, and the extra thirst because even though i drank soda and other caffienated drinks I'm still dehydrated and when the body realizes its getting water then it goes crazy for it. that's what i think anyway lol. As for the kidney infection, that truly sucks. Make sure you push water hard, 3L is what the doc put me on when I had mine, and if you can find any try to get you some pure cranberry juice. It's expensive, around 9$ but it does wonders for flushing out toxins. Not sure why but something in the cranberry keeps bacteria from clinging to to the body.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I do not drink enough water. Of that I know. I truly prefer coffee but I. Try to drink an 8 oz cup between coffees...not always but onto the inquiry....
    I have a kidney infection and thus have really been pushing the water. I remember now I don't drink much water now...it seems the more I drink water the "dryer" I feel. My mouth feels parched..I get a headache etc. I am not drinking so much that I could be hypotonic..just what a person should drink....does this happen to anyone else?

Not a problem. Once you actually give your body enough water, it stops storing excessive water. So yes, your body will expect that you will keep on providing it water!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Well it is just odd....
    In the winter I almost always have a cup of coffee in hand just to stay warm.

This describes me to a T......I also drink tons of coffee in the winter just to stay warm. Got to the point where I gave myself a cutoff of 11 AM to quit on the coffee and go to water (or sometimes a diet soda, yes, I am human too). There is always a pot of coffee on at work, and it's just too convenient. My boss drinks several pots each day all on his own.