Middle of the Night Sugar Cravings

ladougg
ladougg Posts: 13 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
I am a bit baffled by an almost uncontrollable urge to eat or drink something sweet in the middle of the night. Usually it's about 3am or 4am when I awake and then I can easily eat an entire carton of ice cream. (Ben & Jerry's size) I've even been eating peanut butter with a spoon. I've tried having an apple before bed but that doesn't seem to stop the cravings. I've tried a few appetite suppresents and those haven't really helped. I do take Lunesta nightly and I wonder if maybe that is causing part of the problem. I feel like I'm totally conscience when I raid the fridge it but I just can't seem to say "no". I do know that I am horribly disappointed if I go in and there is anything sweet to eat.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced anything like that. If so, I'm curious how you handled it.

Thanks for taking the time to read about my crazy habit.

D.

Replies

• ladougg
    ladougg Posts: 13 Member
    I am a bit baffled by an almost uncontrollable urge to eat or drink something sweet in the middle of the night. Usually it's about 3am or 4am when I awake and then I can easily eat an entire carton of ice cream. (Ben & Jerry's size) I've even been eating peanut butter with a spoon. I've tried having an apple before bed but that doesn't seem to stop the cravings. I've tried a few appetite suppresents and those haven't really helped. I do take Lunesta nightly and I wonder if maybe that is causing part of the problem. I feel like I'm totally conscience when I raid the fridge it but I just can't seem to say "no". I do know that I am horribly disappointed if I go in and there is anything sweet to eat.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced anything like that. If so, I'm curious how you handled it.

Thanks for taking the time to read about my crazy habit.

D.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    There is a term for that but I can't think of what it is......... hm. I have heard others talk about having this problem as well. I myself am not a sufferer but I'd say the best way to handle it is to keep only heathy options on hand. If you raid your fridge at midnight and find only carrot sticks and cottage cheese you're either going to have a healthy snack or you're not going to have anything at all.
  • I know that I am responding to an old post, but I recently found this article which makes perfect sense to me. I have had this issue most of my life, more often during high periods of stress or when trying to lose weight. Hope it helps.

http://doctorkatend.com/blog/what-really-causes-waking-in-the-middle-of-the-night/
  • It could be the lunesta. I've noticed that when I have taken sleeping pills, I felt hungry if they didn't put me to sleep right away or I'd wake up a few hours later (3-4) and feel hungry. I used to grab things like apples, veggies, a serving of cereal or a cup of milk, etc depending on the amount of calories I had left over.
This discussion has been closed.