is it possible to have too many vitamins?

Options
I recently started taking one tablet a day of vitamin c, cod liver oil, and multivitamins, I never thought you could have too much of that! But my goals on here say that i'm supposed to have 100g of vitamin A and C, whereas these tablets have like 600% of what i need!
So, is it possible to have too many vitamins?

Replies

• christina_michelle
    Options
    yes, but not those.
    niacin, pyroxadine, and iron are the worst to over-take and are toxic
    niacin and pyroxadine are known as B vitamins, I can remember exactly their sub number though in the B vitamins.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It's possible to "overdose" on vitamins. BUT, the supplements you buy over-the-counter are not going to cause you an issue if you're taking them according to the label instructions. If they were going to cause problems, you would need a prescription for them so you would take them only under a doctor's care. Don't worry about it. Don't take more than the label recommends, and otherwise don't sweat it.
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    As long as you follow the label you are fine. There are side effect to too much of anything, there is a such thing as "Too much of a good thing". Even water soluble vitamins like C if taken too much can cause rashes. I take a multi, essential omegas and extra C (1000mg) every day.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Vitamin A is the one you need to watch from those listed...not sure of the dosage but pregnant women or those that could become pregnant need to be extra cautious (hence no liver allowed as the levels are too high) If in doubt ask your pharmacist or Dr

the RDA for vitamin A is 3,333 IU per day, and very slightly higher for pregnant women
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking lots of water if you are taking lots of vitamins.
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    I agree with these previous posts. Especially the one about the over the counter vitamins.... Most of the vitamins you will encounter will exit the body through an increased amount of water intake.... I usually double up on my vitamins in the evening (after taking them in the morning) if i have had a big workout at the gym and perspired a lot....
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It is true that anything over 100% is not absorbed by the body. You just pee it out.try to find a multi where none go over 100%
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It is true that anything over 100% is not absorbed by the body. You just pee it out.try to find a multi where none go over 100%

TO add to this, if you look at the labels on multi-vitamins it will have 200% of some vitamins, 100% of some, 10% of some, etc... and this doesn;t include what you eat.

If you have ever noticed when start taking vitamins your urine is very yellow (usually a sign on dehydration), but in this case it is just your body getting rid of what it can't use.

Don't sweat it. Just take them as labeled.

FYI I would recommend a good multi-vitamin over taking certain ones indivivually.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes it is..I was taking extra B vitamins for energy and it did the opposite.made me very tired. Have to be careful of fat soluble one too!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    in general, vitamin supplements aren't going to give you any where near the amount of usable vitamins anyway, and you shouldn't use them as a replacement for vitamins received through food. The body wasn't designed to absorb vitamins "all at once" and in most cases, you'll receive a percentage of the total listed, in some of the name brand ones, it's a very small percentage. In short, use vitamins as a way to "top off" your vitamins, not fill a large gap.

Google bio-availability for more information.