Losing weight is great!!!!!!!!!!

bman756
bman756 Posts: 4 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
Losing weight is awesome but it seems like I am losing muscle also, arms are not quite as big. What should I do, eat more protein or workout more?

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    I'm no expert but I think loss of muscle means you're not eating enough,
    Others will know more and will comment.
    Good Luck
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    If you're not doing weights or not eating enough protein, then that would cause muscle loss.
  • with exercise you lose fat and the fat cells that are in your muscles are being used, you need to do more strength training. triceps, biceps, deltoids.. you will see the change
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Up that protein and stop in GNC to see if they have other supplements you should be taking as a man. Don't go under your calorie limit. Eat those exercise cals! You deserve them! Congrats on a great start!:flowerforyou:
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    my husband is all about muscle...if you want to gain muscle you gotta eat a lot of protein 2gr or even more per lb of your weight, and hit those heavy weights!....hes on here if you wanna ask him...username: 305muscle
  • Maidei
    Maidei Posts: 114 Member
    From what I have learned in my Kinesiology and nutrition classes is when you lose weight you will inevitably lose some muscle mass as well. Muscles are made of protein which can sometimes be used by your body for energy. Especially if your workout is has a lot of cardio in it. That is why it is imparative that you include a full body strength training regime 2-3 days a week into your workout schedule as well. Then as you get towards your decided weight, lessen the cardio and start focusing more on strength training to regain your muscle mass. But losing muscles comes with weight loss so don't panic :) You can slow down the loss/ stop it to some extent by doing more resistance and strenght training.

But if weight loss is your goal for now then expect it to happen, then increase your strength and lessen the cardio when you are at your desired weight and are ready to "bulk up". But trust me you will not lose that much muscle at all overall. Just a bit. It's natural. Your body does not have to carry/support a heavier you so everyone tends to lose some muscle mass.

Fact is that most Americans actually eat more than required amount of protein a day. So if you are meeting your daily recommendations, protein supplements will only help you make 'expensive urine' unless you are part taking in a heavy duty strength training workout. So in my opinion that will not help you much. Supplement providers will always tell you what you want to hear but the truth is unless you are going to be using that extra protein in a serious strength training program, it will not help at all and your body will just flush out the excess. So save your $$$.

I'm not an expert but I am a nutrition major and am in my final year of university and will be going for my RD certification soon. Hope this helps a bit :)
  • bman756
    bman756 Posts: 4 Member
    Good information Thank you very much!!!!:happy:
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Losing weight is awesome but it seems like I am losing muscle also, arms are not quite as big. What should I do, eat more protein or workout more?

A protein shake/drink within 30 minutes after working out will help stop muscle loss. It will help repair the muscle tissue too. The key part is getting it in right after working out though as the body it looking for nutrients and will take what it can find, including muscle mass. I make myself a protein shake and toss it in one of those stainless steel water bottles (keeps it cold and has a larger neck to pour into) and keep it in my gym bag. Then just suck it down before you hit the hot tub, shower or in my case while I sit in the sauna to cool down.:smile:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I think you need to incorporate strength training into your exercise routine. This can either be body weight - push ups, sit ups, lunges/squats -of lifting heavy weights in a gym.

You naturally lose muscle as you lose weight. But if you strength train as well, then it lessens the fact.

A lot of cardio can burn fat and muscle when it runs out of energy (glycogen). That's why long distance runners are slim! And short distance runners are muscular.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.