Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help... Mirena and weight gain?

So TMI alert but I had my Mirena put in April 1st of 09. I was heavy before I had my youngest daughter. When I had her I weighed around 350. After she was born, at my two week checkup I was back down to around 317. I was nursing and of course taking care of a baby. No big eating or lifestyle change.

I had the Mirena put in. Still no big eating change and still the same amount of activity. But when I weighed for the first time in Dec of last year I was 384. Honestly I had NO clue I had really gained that much. I just chalked it up to gain, but I was talking to a friend who has a Mirena about some other issues I am having with it and she said because of the hormones and chemicals, a lot of women notice a big weight gain on it.

I have been gaining and losing the same 2-3 pounds now for over three weeks. I have varied exercise and eating habits. I was losing good and hit a brick wall.

I'm planning on getting this thing removed, but curious if anyone else has noticed or thinks there could be a connection?

Replies

• I also want to add it's really screwing with my appetite. I am having my TOM 2-3 times a month and it's anyone's guess when it will hit or how bad. Some days I am starving and others (like today) I can barely eat.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    I really wish I could help more. I have the Mirena, but it has had no effect on my weight. Good luck hun!
  • nuttybuttersmommy
    nuttybuttersmommy Posts: 77 Member
    I have had no problem with mine... I actually have a cycle maybe every 3 months... you might just need to change your birth control method... I cant think of the name, but it comes in a shot and you have to have it done like ever 3-6 months and it suppose to stop your periods.... and I had major problems with that one... Talk with your doc there maybe something better for you body...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    According to my ob, hormonal birth control has no effect on weight gain. The average gain on hormonal bc is 3 pounds a year, the same as without using bc.

I had a Mirena for a couple of months, but I had a miscarriage with it in and had it removed immediately. I did gain weight, but I wasn't exercising and had terrible eating habits. I had been gaining weight before I got pregnant with those same habits and since I wasn't able to breastfeed it's no surprise that I continued to gain.
  • DimenaZhena
    DimenaZhena Posts: 102
    I had Mirena put in 3 years ago and I remember gaining a little weight. They say that it doesn't, but my body went through so much the first 12 months I started Mirena. I bled for 6 months straight! (Everyone varies, of course.) But my hormones were all out of wack! I could feel it! Somedays I'd be hungry as ever and other days I wouldn't be. You're not alone, definitely. But like I said, everyone who uses Mirena experiences different things. I thought for sure that bleeding for 6 months wasn't good, but my OB GYN said that women have this type of bleeding until 12 months! I'm like, what!? I thought the commercial said 3 months! What a jip! lol. But I do admit everything panned out and I barely have a period now and the eating/gaining has subsided.
  • nachisdoll
    nachisdoll Posts: 192 Member
    I had the mirena put in about a month ago cuz the copper IUD was making me go mad (8-10 day long periods with cramps etc) it doesnt seem to a problem with my weight loss...but i have heard it cuz make it tough to lose the last 10 lbs.....dunno...sorry wish i could be more helpful...ask your ob!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    the shot is called deprovera (depo) and it can result in gains also. if you just had it put in it may take your body up to 6 months to get adjusted but if you can't live with or are worried about the side effects call your doctor and get their opinion.
  • marlabelle
    marlabelle Posts: 55 Member
    I had Mirena "installed" June of 09 but have not had the issues that you have had. Maybe it just doesn't jive with your body's chemistry. I would talk to your doctor. Hope this is resolved quickly for you because it sounds frustrating!
  • jen1516
    jen1516 Posts: 77 Member
    I've had one for 5 years, but didn't gain weight until 2 years ago when I went from a very physical warehouse job to a desk job. But everyone reacts differently to them and it could be the cause of your gain, but then again....maybe not. Good luck to you!!!
  • jen1516
    jen1516 Posts: 77 Member
    I had Mirena put in 3 years ago and I remember gaining a little weight. They say that it doesn't, but my body went through so much the first 12 months I started Mirena. I bled for 6 months straight! (Everyone varies, of course.) But my hormones were all out of wack! I could feel it! Somedays I'd be hungry as ever and other days I wouldn't be. You're not alone, definitely. But like I said, everyone who uses Mirena experiences different things. I thought for sure that bleeding for 6 months wasn't good, but my OB GYN said that women have this type of bleeding until 12 months! I'm like, what!? I thought the commercial said 3 months! What a jip! lol. But I do admit everything panned out and I barely have a period now and the eating/gaining has subsided.

Ugh I was spotting/bleeding for the full 12 months. Thank goodness I haven't had anything for over a year now. After the 1st year I would spot a couple of times a year but now nothing.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    According to my ob, hormonal birth control has no effect on weight gain. The average gain on hormonal bc is 3 pounds a year, the same as without using bc.

My doctor said the same - weight gain isn't caused by the BC. She said some types make you want to eat more, but whether you do or not is up to you (and as such, the weight gain is caused by YOU, not the actual birth control).m

That being said, I'm curious - I've been looking into this method for a while and can't decide whether it's something I want to do! I'm gonna creep your thread and read replies!
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    I am a irm believer that it has caused me migraines and about 20 lbs of gain. after all three pregnancies, i was able to get back to 150. (still 10 lbs from where i wanted to be). It is starting to come off with mfp, but it is super slow! i also have hypothyroidism (which is also hormonal) so who knows if the two can be separated. i am looking forward to having it removed, once we have another reliable bc method.
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    hiya, i have to use the copper coil as hormones make me reli ill ( blood clot on my brain, vomiting daily and last but nt least my daughter- all caused by diffrent hormonal contaceptions) i have had 2 fitted and the only problem i have with mine is that one month ill be totally fine no pms no pain hardly any bleeding, next month feel like killing someone and flow is realy heavy and cramps. but i think its worth a go as it has no hormones so can not mess with you weight ect.
  • Hi,

Mirena is an IUD which is supposed to have local hormonal(intrauterine) effects only. But there have been reports of weight gain. When I got mine my obgyn told me about some of her pts who gained weight or were unable to lose. They subsequently got it removed. My ogyn herself had it but she said for her mood swings were the problem. She asked me to talk to her if there was considerable weight gain.
    The following clinical study shows weight gain as the common side effect in the study population:28%.

LNG-IUS study on adenomyosis: a 3-year follow-up study on the efficacy and side effects of the use of levonorgestrel intrauterine system for the treatment of dysmenorrhea associated with adenomyosis.
    Sheng J, Zhang WY, Zhang JP, Lu D.
    Department of Gynecology, Beijing Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100026, China

If you beleive that Mirena is causing weight gain get it removed as obesity is very bad health risk. The hormone progesterone causes weight gain is a known fact. I took mirena because i thought the effects are probably intrauterine and did not think I would gain. I am getting mine removed next week. Hope it helps.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    I had my Mirena put in around Nov 2007. I was 279lbs.. I didn't gain any more. I also only get my periods one or twice a year now. I lost about 20lbs shortly after that and have maintained that up until I started eating better and exercising regularly. If you think it has to do with your Mirena, have it taken out. You may run into the weight gain with any other BC though. I gained 35-40lbs when I was on Ortho Tri-cyclen.

I love my Mirena. It is my best friend.
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Hi,

Mirena is an IUD which is supposed to have local hormonal(intrauterine) effects only. But there have been reports of weight gain. When I got mine my obgyn told me about some of her pts who gained weight or were unable to lose. They subsequently got it removed. My ogyn herself had it but she said for her mood swings were the problem. She asked me to talk to her if there was considerable weight gain.
    The following clinical study shows weight gain as the common side effect in the study population:28%.

LNG-IUS study on adenomyosis: a 3-year follow-up study on the efficacy and side effects of the use of levonorgestrel intrauterine system for the treatment of dysmenorrhea associated with adenomyosis.
    Sheng J, Zhang WY, Zhang JP, Lu D.
    Department of Gynecology, Beijing Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100026, China

If you beleive that Mirena is causing weight gain get it removed as obesity is very bad health risk. The hormone progesterone causes weight gain is a known fact. I took mirena because i thought the effects are probably intrauterine and did not think I would gain. I am getting mine removed next week. Hope it helps.

thanks!! i have heard many self reports, but didn't know that there were studies supporting this!
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    I've had mine for just over a year and have no problems. I'm sorry you think it's causing you problems cause I think it's the best thing since sliced bread!
  • nuttybuttersmommy
    nuttybuttersmommy Posts: 77 Member
    the shot is called deprovera (depo) and it can result in gains also. if you just had it put in it may take your body up to 6 months to get adjusted but if you can't live with or are worried about the side effects call your doctor and get their opinion.

Thank you... my brain was not wanting to function earlier... I am on the meraina now and I like it so much more than Depo. but any who... if your concearned about your choice of birth control I would ask your doc...
  • aimlow
    aimlow Posts: 39 Member
    I had one twice and spotted for 12 months and could not lose my baby weight. I had it removed and bang the weight came of really easily.
    If you are tracking what you eat honestly (weigh every thing etc) and exercising and not losing weight then talk to your doctor about having it out.
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Another happy Mirena user here - I had to have my first one out for unrelated reasons and got another one put it when I could. Didn't gain weight, and have lost some weight recenlty. I love not having periods... As has been said above, they obviously don't suit all women.