If I have 100lb to lose, should I still eat back burned calo

Options
I know this probably sounds like a question thats been asked 1000 times fold before. However I am wondering if I should eat them back if I have a lot of weight to lose(100lb..)

Thank you..

Replies

• Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    As far as im aware yes you should, i have 60 something to loose, and i ate them back this week and still lost 5lb :)

If you dont eat them back, you will send ya body into starvation mode....which make it wanna keep those unwanted lbs
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    Yes, your body will go into starvation mode if your not giving it the number of calories it needs.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Yes, that rule applies to all trying to lose weight!
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I know this probably sounds like a question thats been asked 1000 times fold before. However I am wondering if I should eat them back if I have a lot of weight to lose(100lb..)

Thank you..
    Great question, I have wondered the same thing :)

Bump
  • ShelleyBowman
    ShelleyBowman Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Here is a great post explaining the whole "eat your calories" theory... it is from a knowledgeable MFP member we call "Banks"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-cal

Best wishes!
    :)
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    This website is designed for that yes... However, you will get many folks on here saying both yes and no.

I do. I view eating cals for gaining and or losing weight. Exercise is only to build strength, both muscle and cardiovascular. So I eat back the calories to keep my workouts fueled. Plus you obviously can get your body more nutrients the more you eat.

I lose weight the exact same pace when I work out or not.

Good luck
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    You may refer to the site on my sig for clarification, but yes. Even if you have an excess amount of weight that could withstand not eating back your exercise calories, doing it right the first time around is more beneficial for your body. Especially if you're there's a question of excess or loose skin later on. Doing it slowly will minimize the skin issue, on top of the fact that incorporating strength training for muscle retention and building lean muscle mass in order to burn fat more effectively, will also help.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    That was a great question... the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked?? Right? I just ate something and I feel stuffed, but it was only part of my exercise calories so I am supposedly ok to eat them. I am wondering about that... if you are not really hungry when you eat them, even though they are allowed, should you do it even if you are not hungry???
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i never have, i just joined this site. ive been loosing weight snce christmas, 23 pounds and 25 inches off in 3 months
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Everyone's going to say YES YES YES! Always eat back your exercise calories. The problem it, you do have a lot of stored fat to burn, and most professionals I've consulted said NO!!! The only ones who say YES are people on forums, and it seems to have worked for some of them.

That said: If you DO eat your exercise calories, make sure you really burned 2,500 calories "running errands" and doing "light house cleaning" before you break open that box of donuts. It's VERY subjective and difficult to know what your true cals were. DO NOT TRUST MFP's "peer built" exercise calorie database. It will tell you you burned 900 calories riding your bike leisurely for 30 minutes.
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    Everyone's going to say YES YES YES! Always eat back your exercise calories. The problem it, you do have a lot of stored fat to burn, and most professionals I've consulted said NO!!! The only ones who say YES are people on forums, and it seems to have worked for some of them.

That said: If you DO eat your exercise calories, make sure you really burned 2,500 calories "running errands" and doing "light house cleaning" before you break open that box of donuts. It's VERY subjective and difficult to know what your true cals were. DO NOT TRUST MFP's "peer built" exercise calorie database. It will tell you you burned 900 calories riding your bike leisurely for 30 minutes.

Actually Crazy Steve, not only do people on forums say this but this site is designed this way. Why do you think it adds calories back to eat when you input the burns?

With that said everyone should find their own way, while weeding out the advice they dot not want.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    yeah, the link in Phil's sig will provide the most information, but the way it works out for me is this: if i have a deficit for the day of 1000 calories or more, i'm gonna eat them back.

in fact, i JUST changed my goal thingie to "lose 2 lbs a week", so the website builds in that deficit. so, i try to eat back all my exercise calories. i, also have 100lbs+ to lose.

the other rule of thumb: if your net calories are under 1200 or 1300 (ish), you probably wanna eat those calories back. the way that seems to work best is to plan your workout, and just add a few calories to each meal or 1 to 2 extra snacks. thataway, you don't end up having like 600 calories left at the end of the day when you're not hungry. i'm sure someone will show up and say get a heart rate monitor to track your exercise, and i agree. the calorie calculator onsite is sometimes WAAYYY off.

hope that helps.
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I DON'T eat back my exercise calories. I started with over 100 lbs as my goal. It's been a little over 2 months and I am 35 lbs down. There's no way I could stuff my face after a hard workout to BURN those cals. It's about a deficit. I have read stuff over and over on MFP about eating exercise cals back- but ask a dietician or nutritionist- to lose weight you simply need to burn more calories than you consume- of course this means eating healthy foods, and staying active! I myself eat 1200-1300 cals a day and exercise at least 40 mins a day. I am not in starvation mode- My hair, skin & nails are all healthier- I have more energy and I'm losing weight steadily. To each their own, but didn't stuffing our faces when we have no appetite get us here in the first place? :) I simply don't have the appetite for more food (I did the first 3 weeks or so). I'm not going to eat when my body clearly is telling me I'm not hungry. Unless you have a Heart Rate Monitor the calorie burns on MFP can be a little off- so if you do eat them back- I suggest checking on other sites to calculate an average :)
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I DON'T eat back my exercise calories. I started with over 100 lbs as my goal. It's been a little over 2 months and I am 35 lbs down. There's no way I could stuff my face after a hard workout to BURN those cals. It's about a deficit. I have read stuff over and over on MFP about eating exercise cals back- but ask a dietician or nutritionist- to lose weight you simply need to burn more calories than you consume- of course this means eating healthy foods, and staying active! I myself eat 1200-1300 cals a day and exercise at least 40 mins a day. I am not in starvation mode- My hair, skin & nails are all healthier- I have more energy and I'm losing weight steadily. To each their own, but didn't stuffing our faces when we have no appetite get us here in the first place? :) I simply don't have the appetite for more food (I did the first 3 weeks or so). I'm not going to eat when my body clearly is telling me I'm not hungry. Unless you have a Heart Rate Monitor the calorie burns on MFP can be a little off- so if you do eat them back- I suggest checking on other sites to calculate an average :)

Very well stated m'dear, and you are so right! Way to go lace!~
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    So how about hearing from someone who HAS lost 102 pounds! YES! I did! In the beginning I ONLY exercised to have more calories to eat! The longer you do this the more, and harder, you will find you work out, and the harder it WILL be to eat them back, but until you get there eat them! Now the only time I would say don't eat them is if it is later in the evening, you have calories leftover, and you are just not hungry! Don't eat calories to just eat calories as that defeats the purpose of what we are trying to teach ourselves!

In the beginning it was all I could do to put in a good 15-20 minute walk and burn 100-125 calories so you bet I wanted/needed those calories. Then I was doing 30-40 minute walks, or bike rides, and burning 200-225 calories so yes still pretty much eating the calories but my stomach was also shrinking so I didn't DEPEND on them as much. Now I am working out 75-90 minutes per day, everyday, and burning anywhere between 750-950 calories per day, my stomach is a lot smaller, and I am NOT eating all of my calories back! I just had a cup of coffee and a container of yoplait, it's 9:15p, and I have over 800 calories left, so it is a safe bet I am not going to be eating those calories!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Oh, by the way, when MFP determines your calories allotted, per day, based on your goals, they already put you at a 500 calorie per day deficit! So you are already at a deficit!
  • katerinab
    katerinab Posts: 107
    Options
    I've been working on losing weight for about 7 months now. For most of that, I refused to even touch my exercise calories and wouldn't even eat all my regular calories, and I was losing good amounts of weight. And I would find that when I even approached eating my exercise calories, my body would hold onto like 5 pounds, I swear. Then I hit a plateau....a month long plateau. So I've decided that I need to try something different, so I'm now eating all my calories plus most, if not all, my exercise calories every day, and my body is actually cooperating with me.

So what I've found is that you need to just kind of experiment, learn your body, figure out its patterns, and find what it wants. For a long time, my body didn't want to follow the norm. Now it does.
  • misslynnpenn
    Options
    I am also having a hard time eating my calories back. I think it is partially do to the amount of water I've been drinking. Prior to joining I never drank this much water (BAD-had kidney stones), but I have been working very hard to get in at least my 8 glasses a day. Today I have the highest deficit I have ever had of over 1300 calories and I just ate because my deficit was more than the amount I was suppose to eat for the entire day. i am very full now and couldn't eat another bite if I wanted to. I will read all of your suggestions so that I can figure out the best way to stay balanced. Great question by the way.
  • monkeyboy881
    Options
    there s nothing i can say that cant be said what thats the beatles ... that hasnt been said eat as much back as you can but just eat till your full dont worry soo much about every cal .... just make sure the cals you do eat back are not empty cals ... i work out super hard every sat playing bball and i get a total of 4500 or so cals to eat i have never ate all those back a slow steady loss is way more beneficial than rapid weight loss
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    As far as im aware yes you should, i have 60 something to loose, and i ate them back this week and still lost 5lb :)

If you dont eat them back, you will send ya body into starvation mode....which make it wanna keep those unwanted lbs

Yep