Protein Drinks?

Options
Does anyone know of any good tasting Whey Protein drinks/powders? Or at least a good thing to mix the powder with to make it taste better? I started with my peanut butter chocolate protein mix last week and I darn near threw up after just mixing it with water! Any help anyone can give is very much appreciated!

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of jay robb. I've tried several and it's by far the best. not to mention 1 carb and ff.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I use body fortress and instead of water I use almond milk and usually throw in a banana or berries or something along that line. I do not like the way protein powder coats my mouth but this one is good. Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition!!! SO delicious I would drink it all day :D

I add milk tho :]
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition gold - Cookies and cream. I put in one banana. I love it. Tastes like a banana shake.
  • k1richm
    k1richm Posts: 1
    Options
    Shakeology Chocolate I mix it with just water,ice and a spoon of peanut butter . You have to order it off of there web site but it is the best I've tried .:smile:
  • snobuny032
    Options
    I love the Maxpro - Vanilla (; O add it to my oatmeal or plain Greek yogurt in the morning and it tastes great all by itself! Low carb/calorie low sugar and 130 calories and 30g of protein in 1 scoop!
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    I use body fortress and instead of water I use almond milk and usually throw in a banana or berries or something along that line. I do not like the way protein powder coats my mouth but this one is good. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Sounds yummy!
  • Kathy11174
    Options
    I have to agree with you the Peanut Butter protein is really nasty. I use Syntha Phase from Vitamin World and the flavor is fantastic. You can mix it with water and its still good. I have put it in my coffee or in the blender with some fruit and tofu.
  • SDLester
    SDLester Posts: 24
    Options
    16oz of crushed iced
    8 oz skim milk
    1 med Banana
    1 6oz low carb yogurt

Blend in your blender after the smoothie starts getting creamy add 1 or 2 scoops of protein powder of your choice...I use ISOPURE Zero carb creamy vanilla. I also add 6 tbsp of splenda to make it sweeter

That will make about 40 oz of protein smoothies at a total cost of 360 calories if you drink the whole blender. I make it a meal ;)

Feel free to add me as a friend and view my daily food diary
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    For Goodness Shakes taste just like normal milkshakes.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I've only tried one, Pure Protein Vanilla. I got vanilla because you can add whatever you want to it to change the flavor.

I usually prepare it this way:

8 oz skim milk
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 cup frozen berries
  • lifeaccordingtolily
    Options
    I use one scoop of the EAS myoplex chocolate mixed with the yoplait triple berry smoothie ( a little frozen bag of strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries with little frozen chunks of yogurt ) and about a cup of milk. I think it completely hides the taste and it is really super yummy, sometimes I even put a scoop of flax in it for a little extra fiber. Plus it's breakfast on the go because it just takes a second in the blender and out the door you go. I need things on the go ya know always busy busy busy!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I normally stick with plain tasting protein powders like plain, vanilla, and strawberry and then add frozen fresh fruit like strawberries, pineapple, banana, peach, mango, etc. I also like to add chia seeds (you can also use ground flax) for fiber and omega 3's and 6's, but also because it is more filling as chia swells when in water. You can use psyllium husks if you prefer.

Sometimes I add GREEN powders that not only contain greens but fruits as well. I prefer Green Max Energee (available at most health food stores).

When I want a chocolate fix I add 1/4 cup coconut milk, 1/4 cup chopped pumpkin & sunflower seeds, 2 tbsp cacao nibs, 1 tbsp maca powder, and a whole banana. And when I want something tropical I add 1/4 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup frozen pineapple and 3 tbsp ground flax or chia seeds. To make these sweeter, add 1-2 tsp Stevia powder (an all natural sugar replacement without the sugar).

As for you, it's really up to your tastes buds to decide. I recommend you start experimenting with very small batches (half cup to start) until you find a taste that works for you.

Good luck!!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the brand you bought, but the protein I'm currently using was recommended to me by a woman. GNC AMP 60, has an excellent taste and is ultra low in calories and fat. I'm not a fan of mixing any protein with water but this protein I can actually get away with just water if I need too.

Otherwise, I mix it with UNSWEETENED Almond Milk which is 35 - 40 calories per cup depending on the brand you buy. I'm new to Almond Milk and went crazy just recently, buying the 90/60/40 calorie/cup versions in both silk and blue diamond brands.

The protein mix has a sweetener so there's no real benefit of having a sweetened liquid which just adds calories.

It's creamy, much thicker than water, good for you on top of it all.

Here's a couple of ideas I've been testing.

2 c Almond Milk
    Vanilla Protein
    1 Banana
    1/3 c Oats
    Pumpkin Spice or Cinnamon

If you want extra rich and thick, drop a raw egg or some egg whites in it. If you want to save some calories, go half the banana, no oats, or 1 c Almond milk and 1 c water. Totally customizable.

I've tried fresh berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries) and I just don't get the flavor I want so I usually skip them all together.
  • bigbluejim
    Options
    I used to do a LOT of power lifting in my younger days, before my shoulder blew out on my. If you go to any of the lifting boards, all the serious lifters go to one place, and it's the only place I've bought from for the past 12 years or so... proteinfactory.com The protein is super high quality, and you can order different flavors and different types of sweeteners, and as a bonus, you can have all sorts of nutrients added in, like vitamins.

I know a lot of people here lurking about order there, because they are also in the database.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    It is pretty tasty Autumn! :bigsmile:
  • brandynie
    Options
    My Husband likes Muscle Milk, but I don't care for it. I think it makes a difference that he mixes with Milki, where I use water to save calories.

Personally, Syntha-6 (BSN) makes great ones, also, they are the cleanest protiens you can buy with the lowest amount of artificial ingrediants of any other protien powder. It can be expensive, but order it on amazon and you'll save a lot.

I also like Pure Protien, I bought it at Target because I was out and needed something quick and was surprised at how good it is.