BMI question

Options
So right now my goal weight is 140lbs. The lowest I've gotten in adulthood is 139lbs and that was before children. I am eating well as is my husband so this is a lifestyle change. I am losing weight every week and busting my butt in the gym. So here's my problem the BMI calculator says my ideal weight is 127-132lbs. I haven't been that small since high school. I'm 29 and 5'1 so do I attempt the BMI weight or stick with my goal? I'm not naturally a skinny person. I am fighting hard against fat genes!

Replies

• carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Stay at whatever weight you feel comfortable at =).
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    BMI, while a good guide, is a pretty flawed measurement of "success" in terms of a healthy weight. Since I'm not an RD or an expert on weight loss, I've added a link here. This is a blog I follow, written by an RD, and just about everything she writes is fantastic. The link should get you straight to a relatively recent post she did specifically on BMI (and where it goes wrong). Hope this helps!!

http://dropitandeat.blogspot.com/2011/02/where-bmi-goes-wrong-lessons-from-cupid.html
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    Just find the weight and size that makes you feel healthy and confident!! You will know when you reach that point!! Good job keep up busting booty in the gym!!
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    BMI is not really a good scale to go by cause its so generalized. It doesnt say anything about bone structure etc.
  • heatherzotigh
    Options
    get your body fat tested at your gym... the BMI is a reference tool and is generally inaccurate... for the longest time by BMI standards I was overweight--yet my body fat was 23%--which is in the 'normal' category... weight really doesn't really matter--it's you muscle mass compared to fat mass--so I say again, if you really wanna know if you are at a healthy weight (for lack of better word) get your body fat tested--usually costs around 10 bucks at a gym...
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I am under 20% body fat and according to my bmi I am obese lol.