NOT so complimentary compliments?

Options

Replies

• SweetTeaBlossom
    Options
    Someone told me I looked less "rotund". LOL. I didn't ask but whatever.

I try not to talk about losing weight with others, but I'm prepared if they want to try. I'll just ignore them.

3138468.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • frugal2
    frugal2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

One guy I dated told me that I had "great fat distribution".

*face palm* I think if someone had told me that I may have busted out laughing from the absurdity .... lol oh my god, what do you say to that? Thanks?

I didnt' know what to say! It could have been his way of saying that he liked where by fat is located (but & boobs maybe? I don't know!?) LOL!!!! totally absurd...but I got the feeling he meant no harm. who knows?! But it makes for good story-telling!
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I had a guy tell me he was showing off my before and after picture to a friend. He said, and I quote:

"I showed him your before picture and he was like, "Ew! Ugh!", then I said, "Wait!".
    Then I showed him your after picture and he said, "Ah, I approve!"

But the guy kept saying the "Ugh" part of the story over and over as if I'm soooo much less gross now then I was before. It's like,

"Hey! I used to look like that 24-7, thanks for agreeing that I was once "repugnant"!"...Ouch. What an a**hole.
  • ifeelsqueaky
    Options
    I haven't had any comments so far - it's almost as if people are scared in case they say the wrong thing maybe? I don't know - I can tell that I look better so surely other people must be able to?
  • mejustmichael
    mejustmichael Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Me: "OMG Brandy I've lost 16lbs"

My best friend: "Don't jinx yourself"

Me "*****! don't be mad because you found them"

Lol... You can tell we are BEST FRIENDS!

If you dont understand it must be a gay thing... lol.
  • mejustmichael
    mejustmichael Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My friends jokingly called me "Skinny B****" lol... it made me laugh... My response was "Hopefully soon enough"
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My grandmother "I see you have lost a little weight, how much have you lost now?" Me "20lbs" and she replies "oh, you're doing great dear, it's a shame you have such a long way to go!'
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,341 Member
    Options
    My grandmother "I see you have lost a little weight, how much have you lost now?" Me "20lbs" and she replies "oh, you're doing great dear, it's a shame you have such a long way to go!'

Oh wow...my Dad is like that! "Capt. No Filter" is his name. :)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options

Your grandmother and my mom would be the best of friends.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,341 Member
    Options
    And recently people like to tell me I look like Snookie, in my book thats a put down, nothing against her, but that's not really something thats a confidence lifter. IDK.

Anyone else deal w/ this crazy bs?

SNOOKY? I certainly don't see it. Natalie Portman maybe. :) There's actually another actress, less famous, that you totally resemble, but I can't think of her name at the moment or anywhere that I've seen her so that I can imdb it. :/
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Oh wow...my Dad is like that! "Capt. No Filter" is his name. :)

:wink:
  • NobodyKnows
    NobodyKnows Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Were you bent over in a skirt with your crotch showing?

If not, I don't see any Snookie resemblence.
  • kelly6485
    kelly6485 Posts: 78
    Options
    Were you bent over in a skirt with your crotch showing?

If not, I don't see any Snookie resemblence.

HAHAHAHA Awesome
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    "You're a lovely big girl" - this wouldn't have bothered me 100lbs ago, but seriously.....
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    There is a mom at my boy's school who every single time she saw me would ask if I lost weight. This was when I was not losing weight and actually probably putting some on. She and her children are painfully thin and I don't know if she was trying to shame me into trying or what. I just stay away from her now.

My close friends and I are all trying to lose so we encourage each other and notice where we lose and such. But other folks just kind of eye me - it's probably good that most of the people I know don't know what to say so they don't say anything.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have gotten almost no compliments or comments yet after 20 lbs and 2 months of busting my *kitten*. After reading some of these, I guess thats a good thing.
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I tend to run into the opposite situation. I may gain 20 or even 40 pounds (which I am trying to lose right now again) and if I happen to mention that I need to start exercising again to lose the weight I gained, many folks will say." What, Oh really, you gained that much, you do not look any different":). What is that supposed to mean? Is that a compliment or does that mean that I'm lucky and 40 extra pounds do not show? Does that also mean that 40 fewer pounds do not show too? That would be amusing or maybe just the luck of being a taller guy, we can hide it more successfully:)
  • nikkigiesige
    Options
    Back a few years ago i lost 40lbs and all my customers at work would come in and say WOW you lost alot of weight...and you would think thwy would stop there but NO they say You were really big, Which i know i was but do you have to make me remember all the years i walked around and that is what EVeryone was thinking or saying about me!! Im good with just the compliment...simple an easy lol
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    A customer asked me two weeks ago "HOW much MORE weight do you plan to lose???" "Next time you come here, wear some pants that fit."

Hurt my feelings because I thought I looked pretty okay that day. And I'm far from skinny - have another 15-20 pounds to lose. So I'm not sure where his comment came from other than maybe he meant it as a compliment.

My hubbys sister told me when I was dieting for my wedding - "You have lost so much weight! But you are just gonna put it all back on." Really hurt my feelings.
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    A customer asked me two weeks ago "HOW much MORE weight do you plan to lose???" "Next time you come here, wear some pants that fit."

Hurt my feelings because I thought I looked pretty okay that day. And I'm far from skinny - have another 15-20 pounds to lose. So I'm not sure where his comment came from other than maybe he meant it as a compliment.

UGH male customers can really be the worst when it comes to body comments - in my last job I spent about 90% of the time wanting to smack someone. Its like hello, my body isn't freaking public property, mind your own damn business!

I haven't lost much, so no one really has noticed yet ... I plan on avoiding my mom forever, LOL, as she's pretty much always my worst critic when it comes to weight.