Is this site accurate?

Options
2»

Replies

• SusieB01
    SusieB01 Posts: 89
    Options
    I've learned that calories burned is subjective. Even most of the machines need to be set to each person specifically. It is slightly more accurate to use a person's height and weight to calculate how much they'll burn doing a set number of minutes of a specific exercise, but not much. For years I have had thyroid problems (low), and I've found that I generally burn less than the average. In general, men have a higher metabolism because they have more muscle than fat, and muscle uses more calories than fat. And, guess who has more fat cells? Ladies, ever try to lose weight with your husband? My husband would lose 3 or 4 lbs. a week eating more than I did to lose only one! NOT FAIR! This is one of the reasons they tell you to do strength exercises to build muscle when you're trying to lose weight.

Another 'rule of thumb' that I learned was that if it's an activity that you regularly do, you shouldn't count the calories as part of your weight loss calories. For example, I used to walk a lot in my job, so I was burning that amount anyway and I was not losing. If I wanted burning calories to help me to lose weight, I had to do something extra. (So, if you want housework to help you to lose weight, It shouldn't be something you regularly do).

BUT, I've found that as far as calories, this site is extremely accurate, and one of the best out there!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am newish to this site- I decided that I would continue to count my calories and not "eat" my exercise calories-that way I am not having to worry how close it is. Because I am currently in a non weight bearing cast due to heel surgery I cant do typical aerobic so my exercise is pilates on the ground or "chair dancing" so a heart monitor does not give me an accurate account of my exercise either. But so far I do LOVE this site.

5659877.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!