An epiphany

Options
This is from my blog entry today ...I read some other peoples epiphanies and it helped me get to my own..so I thought I would share!

As some of you may or may not know I spent the weekend away at my parents house to watch the lil alien demon of a dog they have.

My husband and I were initially not at all excited about this as we like our little home and hate spending too much time away from our very needy lovable cat. Especially to watch a mean little dog!

Well what I didn't realize is that besides the payoff of free laundry and unlimited cable access ,that I would benefit from this experience of being out of my element. I learned a LOT about my habits just form being away and thrown into a different environment.

One major thing that dawned on me is that I have basically been giving myself excuse after excuse to splurge on bad food. Now whereas I usually eat really healthy all week, the weekend I usually go overboard. Rationalizing my bad behavior as "well I earned it". or "we are celebrating!" or "Just one more weekend and then Monday I will really do this!".

What I have accomplished with this mindset is pretty much nothing. I will lose 10lbs, then gain back 3...lose 2 gain back 5...basically I have mastered maintaining my weight. And although I have not gone over my start weight...I have been at this almost a year and haven't seen much change. I am definitely a little more active so i have managed to drop a size in jeans and tops.

I don't really see this as a success though because I want MORE for myself. For whatever reason this pasty month has really begun to be filled with major changes and accomplishments in my mindset.

One being that this past week I cut out booze and wine from my weeknight life.Reading an article about the effects those calories have through me for a loop. I had no idea that so few calories could make your metabolism slow down by 73% becauise of the content of the calories.

Another no cheese, fried foods, or cookies.

And you know what? I stuck to the latter for almost 20 days with no major upsets. However, last night I decided I deserved a celebration so I had some margaritas, some chips and salsa and even a tiny bit of cheese. And even though I felt guilty about it I went and splurged again this morning.

One little upset and I am off the wagon for almost 24hrs? I can't believe it!

What I can believe is this.

I am aware of it now! That is a HUGE step for me. I am AWARE that I am weak when it come to food. i am aware that like a drug, one little taste and I want more!

So even though I am proud that I went the 17days with no issue..I know I will feel even more proud if I do it again with no upsets. I know I will feel better...I know that with cutting out the liquor I will lose faster. I know that I can't reward myself all the time for small accomplishments.

I need to save those rewards for the milestones. All in moderation doesn't mean eating it all when that moderation time comes.

I am AWARE the less crap I shove into my mouth hole the more energy I will have to move my body and get the workouts in!

I am AWARE that I need to stick to my guns and not let the little voices of over rationalization trick me again!

I am AWARE that I will benefit from my smart choices all week long and not just Monday through Friday .

Here is to a new week and a more AWARE me!

Replies

• biodeb
    biodeb Posts: 19
    Options
    Wonderful insights. And after being good for a while - one day won't derail you unless you give up. Just never give up. Keep moving forward no matter what. You will reach your goals. Give yourself big hugs for your accomplishments. But allow yourself a free meal once in awhile - it's normal.

Wishing you the best success!! Deborah :wink:
  • MeaganAnn84
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! Being aware is a wonderful thing! I love everything you said, alcohol will get ya, it's a naughty thing. I love to have a glass of wine or two, or a few beers, etc. but it has to be a special occasion almost. I went from having probably one drink a night, to none for a few weeks. I did the whole "it's the weekend/a special occasion" etc thing but honestly, you could almost celebrate every day, if you try to rationalize it. LOL Great job, keep up the being tough on yourself, I've found it really pays off. I have one cheat day a week, where I eat one meal that I want, the rest of the time I'm a good girl. :) You really, honestly do feel better and have much more energy when you eat well, I have found that out. Good luck to you!
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    I did the whole "it's the weekend/a special occasion" etc thing but honestly, you could almost celebrate every day, if you try to rationalize it.

Up until I realized it this weekend I was the QUEEN of rationalizing it! I can't believe it took me so long to figure this out but now that I have I am so much more determined to beat my brain at it's own tricks!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I am aware of it now! That is a HUGE step for me. I am AWARE that I am weak when it come to food. i am aware that like a drug, one little taste and I want more!

You should also be aware that foods with refined sugars, salt and fat trigger the body to want more. Intentional or not that is the impact the food manufacturers want, so you buy more. If you cut refined sugars, white flour foods, and reduce salt intake you will see a huge difference. Food will not control you anymore. Eating whole grains, lean protein, good fats, and fiber put you in control. you will feel full and be aware of everything you eat and it's impact to your body and even your mood.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    No one is ready for a thing until he can see himself attaining it.

You are aware of what you want and now you shall have it. Keep your eyes on the prize, state your goals out loud to yourself morning and night, have a clear plan on how to get there and stick to it.

(thoughts from Think And Grow Rich)
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    *[/quote]
    You should also be aware that foods with refined sugars, salt and fat trigger the body to want more. Intentional or not that is the impact the food manufacturers want, so you buy more. If you cut refined sugars, white flour foods, and reduce salt intake you will see a huge difference. Food will not control you anymore. Eating whole grains, lean protein, good fats, and fiber put you in control. you will feel full and be aware of everything you eat and it's impact to your body and even your mood.
    [/quote]*

I am aware of that and I do try to stick to a clean diet most of the time...it was the weekends that were killing me. I won;t be doing that anymore though :)