I gained weight?!

Options
Last week, I weighed in at 122 lbs. Now I have been around 123-124ish. I have been following the plan and working out.
Is the weight gain from muscle weight?? Is my body used to all my regular exercises? I would like to get down to 120 and then maintain that weight.

Help anyone? :(

Replies

• ekbontje
    ekbontje Posts: 36
    Options
    I actually had the same issue this week! I was under my calories every day, worked out 3 times, and am weighing in a pound or two higher than last week. I am no expert, but it could be that our bodies are building muscle, or we just need to give it some time. I made an executive decision to "skip" this week's weigh-in, continue to make healthy decisions and work out this week, and try again next week. I also want to buy a tape measure, so I can see if I am making a difference in inches at all. Keep up the hard work girl, your body will love you even if the scale is deceiving!
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    For me normally I have one day out of each week that I weigh the least LOL and then the other days really range from my weight of that day up to 5 pounds more :( It sucks, but the one thing I always look at, so if I get my lowest weight one day... thru the week I watch to see how far it goes up, so as long as it's not to much of a rise no biggie... sooner or later you will begin to see the highest you weigh and it'll be less then a couple weeks ago.

does that make any sense? So I basically say yay to my lowest weight, but at the same time when I'm at my heaviest if it's lower then my usual heaviest weight I'm happy as well... just shows that I am really losing weight it's just taking a few more days
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Thats what happened to me last week...so I decided to change my sodium intake (less or even to what MFP has it at), excercised a bit more, and ate different foods but still met my calorie goal. Then I lost around 4-5 pounds this week, very happy indeed!
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Playing the devil's advocate for a moment, what's with the magical **120-lbs** ? I mean, it's a nice number and all, but I think most people's weights fluctuate within 5 pounds or so throughout the day or the week. Depends on how much water you've drank lately, when you last pooped, what mood your scale's in, etc. (But in all seriousness, most home bathroom scales are NOT that accurate.) My take on it is this: once you're down into a "healthy" weight range and wearing a pants size that makes you comfortable and looks good, focus on your measurements, muscle tone, and overall nutrition. Weigh in once a week or so to make sure you're keeping things in check (within that 5-pound range, for example), but there seems to be little use in obsessing about 3 pounds.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    you can not gain muscle on a calorie deficit. if you work out too much, you can build up water in your muscles, that may be adding to the weight. also around TOM makes you gain.
  • rebecca916
    Options
    Well I am only 5'1. I started my MFP journey at 132 lbs. A few extra pounds on short people is a lot more noticeable than on average height people. I let my eating get out of control over the past six months. I'm a college student, so I am always in class or working. At first, I was fully committed and feeling motivated to eat healthier and work out. Now I am starting to feel less motivated :(
  • arussell53
    arussell53 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm 6'5 and when I was 320 people said I didn't need to lose weight (when I would say I wanted to lose 100lbs). When I was close to 230 they said I was too thin - Even though I was "overweight" according to the BMI. I want to get down to around 200 and people act as though I am trying to be "manorexic". <-- a term my wife used today that I had never heard... lol

Tall people wear weight A LOT differently than short people.
  • Cydnie197
    Cydnie197 Posts: 38
    Options
    Rebecca, don't lose the modivation!! I started out this "I need to get back in shape thing" right around 155!! I am 5'2", so you can imagine, I'm sure. Today I am at 131! I am 40 now, so, only looking for another 5-10 lbs. 120 would put me back to what I weighed as a senior in High School (wearing a size 3). I SO wish I had gotten a handle on all of this in my 20's, it is MUCH more difficult now!!!
  • rebecca916
    Options
    Thank you Cydnie!
    It's getting harder for me to resist birthday cake when it is given to me at work.
    I work at a jumphouse place for little kids.
    We host birthday parties on the weekends and customers often give us their leftover cake and foods :(
    It's been tempting. I am going to workout more often so I can eat more.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
  • Cydnie197
    Cydnie197 Posts: 38
    Options
    Honestly I get some kind of sick thrill every time I DON'T eat something dumb. When I worked in an office, they would bring in doughnuts and bagels ALLLL the time. Often I would pick out my favorite one, put it right where I could see it all day long and just be so proud of myself every time I could look away from it, or stick my tongue out at it, telling it that it had no power over me! Even now that I am a stay at home mom, I will make food for my husband and kids, but not sneak tastes. It's not quite as obvious as it was before, but I do have an entire pantry of no no food to stare at (and walk away from) whenever I'm feeling weak. Maybe I am just strange.