Iron

Options
After a week (ok almost a week) of logging my regular eating habits, I realize I'm consistantly below 50% of reccomended iron. Any ideas / reccomendations of how to get more iron into my life. I know there are suppliments out there... but that's not my first choice.

Thanks!

Replies

• nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I just had a physical and was told my iron was incredibly low, that I am anemic. I also want to find out a way to boost this without taking iron pills.....so I will be watching this thread.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want more iron in your diet ditch the non-stick (via coating) cookware in favour of a cast iron pan, when properly seasoned these are non-stick anyway.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    there are plenty of iron fortified cereals, oatmeal is good with iron, spinach, beans/legumes, artichokes..

i wont recommend meat since i'm a vegetarian and against my morals.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I just take a regular women's multi-vitamin and it always helps me get to my RDA of Iron.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    most of the foods in the MFP dont seem to have their iron content logged. I tried to log iron for a while, but it kept coming up as zero iron even in foods i knew had some in it, so i stopped as it was impossible to calculate.
    I just take a multivitamin and mineral to be on the safe side
  • 85specialk
    Options
    I'm anemic, and although it would be great to not have to take supplements, I can't get enough iron in my diet to get my levels up, so I've got to take the supplements. However, if your iron levels aren't too bad just make sure you eat enough red meat (i'm bad with this, hardly ever eat red meat), spinach (great source of iron!), beans, broccoli, fish. These are all iron rich foods. Also, if you have low iron levels, take vitamin c or eat foods high in vitamin c as this helps the iron absorption in your body.

hope this helps!
  • lolo907
    lolo907 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Red meats, fish, and poultry are some the the best sources of iron. If you don't eat meal then beans are a really good source as well, there are also a lot of fortified foods out there such as cereal and oatmeal. Also vitamin C helps your body absorb iron. A lot of the iron supplements can cause constipation.
    This web site might be helpful
    http://www.healthcastle.com/iron.shtml
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    (Pre-menopausal) Women do need to be mindful of their iron. As the above stated, meat, beans, spinach are good sources. We take a multi, and the women's have iron in them. I know you said you don' take them, but I'd recommend them.