Do you comment to friends that don't ask?

Options
I have a "friend" I don't normally look at diaries but happened to look at hers today. I have noticed that some days she is only netting 500-800 calories. I don't want to preach or sound like a know it all (because I sure as heck don't) but maybe she really doesn't know about NET and really I don't know her situation..maybe she is under doctor care or whatever.

Do I just let it be or would you mention something? On one hand of course it isn't my business but on the other hand if she just doesn't know then I am letting her go down a possibly distructive path.

Replies

• ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    I remove friends from my list if they are starving themselves..they seem to have completely different fitness goals than me so they just get the boot lol
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    ooohhh...tricky. i'd probably mention it - i have a big cyber-mouth. that way, if she doesn't know, she'll have learned something new, and if she does know, you'll know to refrain from comment in the future. even though that eating style is probably going to come back and bite her in the *kitten* eventually - unless it's something doctor ordered, like you mentioned.

but what a sticky place to be! good luck!
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    the site is all about helping ............i say run the risk............ what the worse that can happen??? your friend says "yea i know".

on the other hand you could really help them. tell them that you noticed and thought you would mention it just in case.

lee.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    You could maybe send her a personal message. Just word it very carefully. Let her know you are concerned. Good luck!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    yes i agree...send her a personal message...
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    Are you sure she is logging everything? I know for me sometimes I will not log dinner if I have like 400 cals left and I know my dinner will be around there... Its possible she's not logging all of her cals ALL of the time.
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There are often question on MFP regarding how many calories to eat. I for example have set my caloric intake at 1200 calories. by exercising it is easy for me to get at that 500-800 calories a day. For the first three weeks I didn't realize that I had to "eat back" my exercise calories.

Do you think this is what could be happening to her? If so, you should definitely tell her.

If that is not the reason....well...I would still tell her. It is not healthy to try to live on such low calories.

Hope this helps! :)
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I get really annoyed when people make comments about my exercise or calories. Like when I get excited about a run and write an update on it and then I get people giving me fitness advice and saying about interval training etc. I know they are trying to help but what they don't realise is that I AM doing intervals at a very high intensity all the time but it's easier to just log it as "power walk/running". I know what exercise I did, I don't have to break it down for my mfp friends. Another time someone wrote me a big long message saying they thought I was at risk of an eating disorder and I got really angry because they hadn't seen my food diary, they don't know my genetic background or the type of body I have always had and they don't know my fitness levels or lifestyle (I was told by this person that I was over exercising to the point of obsession, I exercise for an hour a day and I am a student so an hour is not very much time from my day. I am also very very fit so I can burn more calories in a short time frame). My best advice, if you are really worried about this person, would be to send them a message and just say "hey, not meaning to get in your business but I saw your food diary and you're net calories and I'm concerned." ask them a bit about their exercise regime and the kind of lifestyle they have. It's when people come across as preachy or know it all that I get mad because I'm usually already well aware of whatever they're telling me. I'm Australian, healthy lifestyle and knowledge of health is pretty massive here.
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I remove friends from my list if they are starving themselves..they seem to have completely different fitness goals than me so they just get the boot lol

I'm with you its sooo annoying. theyre are so many people out there that have no idea what theyre doing...the whole point of using a website like this is to research the food that your eating and to really see where you need to make a change.

i have days where ive only had about 600 calories and ive left status like "need to find a quick meal before bed" and have gotten responses like "you don't need to force yourself to eat, the less calories the better"
    I'm sure we've all had those days but when you notice it as an all the time thing and the person barely needs to lose weight just delete it because it will bring you down

and incase you havent notice, this website is a haven to alot of girls that are anorexic, who are trying to get adds from other girls that are supportive of them doing that...so she probably doesnt want you as a friend either if your concerned no offense
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I agree a personal message but I would be clear that you were just poking around and let her know that you have had some success by eating X amount of net cals. Of course you don't want to assume that she is starving or this is a bigger deal than it is. You said it was her net cals so it is not like she is not getting her base calories for the day. I would say that is a much larger risk. Just out of curiosity, is this a normal intake for her or was it just one day? We all know we have days that we struggle to get the cals. Maybe she has been ill and not really wanting to eat. I think it is just important that it is not assumed that she is restricting. Could just be one of those things. Good luck.
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    You don't know someone's situation, mentioning it may make something worse.
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, out of concern if it's a daily tend. I've looked at diaries whose days totals (not net even) are below 1000 frequently. Maybe it can be something like, " I hope all is well, I've noticed you aren't eating that much..." Or more direct you can recommend something to eat to boost their day's calories to give it the fuel it needs for all that hard work they've been doing. Yes you can personal message her too, but the reason I will leave a comment sometimes is because some people will leave a trail of "WTG" and so forth without ever looking at that person's food... and I never want to unintentionally cheer someone on to starve themself or eat poorly.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes send a personal message asking if everything is OK. I would NOT put that in their profile wall.

Sometimes there really is an issue with eating disorders and the like, but often the person has some special dietary requirements or is going through a rough patch unrelated to food that's affecting their appetite, or some medication is affecting their ability to eat, etc. I don't jump to the conclusion that someone is intentionally undereating as it's usually not correct.

Kind notes asking if everything is OK and offering support are rarely received poorly.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Just ask her about what type of program she is on. Say you've noticed how low the calorie intake is and wondered if she was on a restricted plan. Naivete goes a long way....act innocent and curious - rather than judgmental and all-knowing...
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If her net after exercise is low, leave it alone, MPF is not right about everything
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm Australian, healthy lifestyle and knowledge of health is pretty massive here.

Really interesting comment, I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to decide if I agree with you or not. I'd tend to say that I disagree, but I think it does depend on the people you mix with.

My sister is studying health and nutrition at uni and we often chat about the research she does into trying to better educate the generaly public. I also have heard statistics about the number of obese Aussies, also now going shopping with my toddler I am painfully aware of all the junk food that is directly marketed at her, and she's only 1.5 years old, but the things that she can reach on the shelves are all terrible sugary snacks....

anyway, it's got me thinking....
  • Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just ask her about what type of program she is on. Say you've noticed how low the calorie intake is and wondered if she was on a restricted plan. Naivete goes a long way....act innocent and curious - rather than judgmental and all-knowing...

I agree with the above, sounds like a good plan ;)
  • shaunarlr83
    shaunarlr83 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should judge anyone off of their diaries, many people do not log everything! Liquids for one can have many calories but a lot of people do not log them, on the other hand some people consume great amounts of liquid and I am sure it is hard to stuff your face full of food after that. i was never one to drink very much during the day, hitting 6 glasses of water a day is a great feat for me, but I have seen people drink whole pots of coffee and up to 20 glasses of water, there is no way I could eat 1200+ cals on a day like that! I also have had a few days when my nets were extremely low but usually I snack late into the night and add that as I go.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do comment. I mean, after all, what are friends for if not to express concern? Besides, it's not like you have to become anorexic or starve yourself to support someone else who is. Nor do you have to support another in her abusive decisions. You simply have to have compassion and understanding.

When I comment, I don't allow concern to sound negative, critical or condescending. Instead, I pick something they are doing well, healthy, and praise it. And when I am truly concerned, I say so. I will write something to the effect, "I am concerned about you and your under-eating."

As far as I'm concerned, people who eat incredibly few calories may be anorexic in their thoughts and actions and don't need anymore criticism than someone who over-eats and is obese in her thoughts and actions.

Of course it could be that this person you speak of is not anorexic in her thinking but is simply believes that in reducing her calories drastically she'll lose the weight fast. And she just might lose weight that way, albeit unhealthy.

The thing is we all try in different ways. Some of us try to do things our own way and seek out people who support our thoughts and actions and quickly reject anyone who is not in line with our thinking. Others try by gravitating to any new fad out there. Still, I think most of us try through trial and error, by asking questions, doing research, being somewhat receptive to other people's suggestions and persistently changing our approach until something works for us.

Expressing concern towards someone you think is on an unhealthy path is a loving act of kindness. However, not everyone is receptive to these loving acts and can become defensive or worse, attack. Personally I seldom if ever allow other people's attacks against me prevent me from expressing my loving concern. That said, once I've stated my concern, I leave it up to the person what she wants to do with it. If she roots it out and throws it away, so be it. I'm not trying to 'change' her, merely bring her attention to what can be unhealthy.

If you express concern with the intention of being right, you'll never win anything. However, if you express concern with the intention of caring, you can never lose. And even if the person rejects your concern you still don't lose because you weren't trying to win anything in the first place. You will have been true to your intention - to express caring concern. Ultimately it's still up to her what she's going to do.