Under active thyroid

Options
Any tips on diet and fitness for people with an under active thyroid?

My calorie goal is 1000 and I am doing at least 30 min exercise a day but it is very hard to shift any pounds at the moment!

My BMI is still classed as "overweight".

Replies

• FoodAdict
    FoodAdict Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I imagine its because 1000cals is far too low, and your body is doing the 'starvation mode' thing, and clinging on to your excess weight.
    Up your cals to 1500 (of healthy foods though) and take a Kelp supplement to help your thyroid.
  • sgreb
    sgreb Posts: 6
    Options
    YOu may want to get your levels rechecked. I have an underactive thyroid, but when I am on the right dose of medication and everything is regulated the weight just melts off. Just another suggestion.
  • melissamauney
    Options
    You probably need to up you cals to atleast 1200. Sounds to me that your body is in starvation mode.I know it sounds crazy but the more you eat the more you lose, and don't forget to drink you water.
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree, you are either not eating enough or your meds are off. I have the same issues and when my meds are right, I can eat a "normal" amount of calories like anyone without thyroid problems and lose weight. 1000 is way too low and with such a low amount of calories, all other things aside, you're likely not even getting the right amount of nutrients to your body. My calorie goal is set to 1410 to lose 1 lb/week and with exercise I usually add about 200-400 calories to my daily net. I've been steadily losing 1-2 lbs a week for the last 2 months despite my thyroid
  • Momma2r
    Momma2r Posts: 3
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid as well but have recently lost 16 pounds. I started taking a supplement called "Thyroid Energy" that I take in the morning, on an empty stomach, with my medicine and a small glass of grapefruit juice. I also drink Yumi Mate Lemon Green Tea every afternoon (one cup). Stay away from taking your throid meds with coffee and avoid soy, which both interfere with the absorption of the medicine. For more info on dieting and weight loss google Mary Shomon (I don't know if I spelled that right). She wrote a book called "The Thyroid Diet" and it tells you all kinds of useful info. You can also find her on Facebook.
    Make sure you're mixing up your workouts. Don't do the same thing everyday and try to incorporate at least 20-25 minutes of cardio with some weight training. You also have to increase your calories! Your body needs fuel... be mindful of what you consume.
    Good luck!
  • mjanet
    mjanet Posts: 54
    Options
    Someone already mentioned to get your thyroid levels re-checked. I have the same condition, but ever since I've been actively taking my medication the weight is coming off. Also try to eat the excersice calories. It's already tough to feel energized with the thyroid problem, but without enough calories you really are going to feel lathargic. Good luck!