Steam Room & Sauna Insights

Options
So I recently started using the steam room and sauna at my gym. First time in my life and it feels great to go in after a workout. I really feel refreshed.

Does anyone have insights on their routine or which you should do first, second along with shower? I see guys go in and out of the steam room, sauna and shower and not sure if their is a recommended routine?

Any suggestions or insights would be great!

Thanks,
George

Replies

• fooligan
    fooligan Posts: 14
    Options
    I never used the steam room... Some guys just go in to sit there,,,,
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    After my morning workout I like to sit in my steam shower and use Eucalyptus oil in the oil reservior. I feel that it opens my pores, clears my lungs and warms my muscles and bones, then follow with a shower. Many people like to steam/sauna and follow with a quick brisk shower to close the pores. If you have sensitive skin I suggest you spend only 10 minutes or so as the heat can irritate the skin.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The way I learned in Finland (sauna) is:

Shower yourself and dry yourself thoroughly under warm water. This will open the blood vessels and pores and make you sweat more while in the sauna. Then you go in, get used to the heat (a sauna above 80º C is hot, anything below that is tepid) and sit on the lower benches first, because it's cooler there. Take a ladle full of water and sprinkle some on the hot stones to get the ions in the air going. The objective is not to make steam, but to create löyli a delightful sudden explosion of water vapor. After you've been in the sauna for a few minutes, go out, breathe in the air (outside, preferably, you need to have cool air in your lungs), then when you've cooled off a bit, go in again, lie down on a higher bench and stay as long as comfortable. Build this up gradually: perhaps you can only stay in for 5 minutes, that's fine. After you feel it's been enough, go out, first get cool air inside your lungs and cool off a little, then take a cold shower, or jump into a cold pool or tub, dry yourself off and thoroughly rest before going for your next round. Repeat all previous steps. Three rounds is ideal. You give your heart a workout this way. Note: in between rounds in Finland, you usually have a nice cold beer (!)

Enjoy. Sauna is a religion in Finland, and rightly so.

I never go into steam rooms: they feel tepid to me.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    The way I learned in Finland (sauna) is:

Shower yourself and dry yourself thoroughly under warm water. This will open the blood vessels and pores and make you sweat more while in the sauna. Then you go in, get used to the heat (a sauna above 80º C is hot, anything below that is tepid) and sit on the lower benches first, because it's cooler there. Take a ladle full of water and sprinkle some on the hot stones to get the ions in the air going. The objective is not to make steam, but to create löyli a delightful sudden explosion of water vapor. After you've been in the sauna for a few minutes, go out, breathe in the air (outside, preferably, you need to have cool air in your lungs), then when you've cooled off a bit, go in again, lie down on a higher bench and stay as long as comfortable. Build this up gradually: perhaps you can only stay in for 5 minutes, that's fine. After you feel it's been enough, go out, first get cool air inside your lungs and cool off a little, then take a cold shower, or jump into a cold pool or tub, dry yourself off and thoroughly rest before going for your next round. Repeat all previous steps. Three rounds is ideal. You give your heart a workout this way. Note: in between rounds in Finland, you usually have a nice cold beer (!)

Enjoy. Sauna is a religion in Finland, and rightly so.

I never go into steam rooms: they feel tepid to me.

Especially the beer part! LOL My in-laws are Finnish...love them!