Why does this hurt soooo BAD!!!!

Options
I pulled my back playing basketball on Saturday. How do I recover from this? It is now Monday and I still cant barely walk let alone run or do some kind of cardio. Altogether I lost a total of 5 pounds last week and it was all due to cardio!! If this pain doesn't subside, does any one have any cardio recommendations for someone who has a bad back?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I pulled my back playing basketball on Saturday. How do I recover from this? It is now Monday and I still cant barely walk let alone run or do some kind of cardio. Altogether I lost a total of 5 pounds last week and it was all due to cardio!! If this pain doesn't subside, does any one have any cardio recommendations for someone who has a bad back?

If you lost 5 pounds last week, I am guessing it was more than cardio. While exercise can aid a person in losing weight, you cannot out exercise a bad diet. You must be eating better, and if you just started that, you probably lost a lot of water weight. That, by the way, is a good thing since that extra water weight is not healthy either.

You can lose weight without working out. 80% of weight loss is diet. The exercising will help, but is not absolutely necessary.

As for you back, I would get that checked out. Backs and knees are not things you want to mess around with. Since the pain is lingering, and it is effecting your ability to walk, you need to have it checked out by a professional. Don't put that off as it can cause more problems than you want later on.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I would say go to a local recreation center, gym, YMCA, and do some laps in the pool ... if your back doesnt stop hurting son i also would consult my Dr.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My husband just hurt his back last week and put it off and kept working (he's in construction) and had to go to the ER last night b/c it hurt so bad (and b/c he helped someone move Saturday :frown: .
    Anyway, take it easy (see if a Dr if you can), ice it and relax.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I also have problems with my back, some days it is so bad that I can barely get up to the bathroom.
    It is very important to have it checked out by a clinician before you begin to do any type of exercise as it could aggravate the injury depending on where you caused the trauma.

I can tell you, if along with the inability to walk, you have tingling or altered senstation in your feet or hands that you need to seek medical attention immediately. These can be caused by pressure on nerves and if not addressed can become a significant issue.

That being said, if it is muscular in nature, the best exercisies are not cardio, but rather muscle strengthening and stretching to ease the tightness and help build the muscles to improve their ability to protect you in the future. But once again, see a health care practitioner first.

(I am on muscle relaxants and antiinflammatories along wiht pain killers whenever I flare up and they tend to make movement easier but I also see a physiotherapist)
  • dmcg123
    dmcg123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My advice? Go see your Doctor TODAY.

I tweaked my back last summer playing golf and figured it would just go away. It felt stiff, but far from debilitating.

Instead, it seemed to get progressively worse until I could barely move w/o sharp pain. When I went to the Doctor, he told me it usually takes as long for the injury to heal as it takes for the patient to get in to the Doctor. For me, that was about 2 weeks. If this ever happens again, I'm going to the Doctor the same day...

On the good news front, there are some good treatment plans out there. My medical provider sees enough of these lower back injuries that they've developed a special treatment plan. They use electrical impulse therapy followed by ultrasound. They also recommend stretching and ab excersizes, as they told me 99% of back issues are due to weak abs... It's the ab muscles that hold the back in alignment.

Good luck - see the Doc, stretch, and work on those abs; you'll be back on the court in no time!