Simple Sugar Versus Complex Sugar

Options
poustotah
poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
Okay, I am pregnant - 27 weeks now. And I've been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes - AGAIN! After my last pregnancy, I lost 90 pounds, I eat right and none of that mattered soooo, here we go. Anyway, my question has to do with sugar. Obviously, I cut out all of my simple sugars (as many as I can). I use stevia in my coffee, I eat all whole grains, etc. At lunch, I have a smoothie. I typically use the yoplait smoothie (a whole bag) and I mix in 2 scoops of whey protein. So there's like 30mg of sugar in that. I try not to go over 40mg for the whole day and I very rarely do. Now my husband mentioned that since the smoothie is primarily fruit (which is a complex sugar), that I should count ALL of that sugar. I however, think he's lost his mind.

So who's right? And will counting sugar help to keep the diabetes in check? I'm guessing no.

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Anyone got anything???
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You are both right. Even if its a complex carb (sugar) you still need to count it. But you also need to watch your fiber. Eating a high fiber diet will help control your sugar. Look at NET CARBS. Net carbs = Total Carbs - Fiber. That will give you a realistic number for your intake of carbs. Refined white sugar or processed sugar is good to stay away from. Fruits and whole grains are great. Hope this helps.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if the smoothie mix does contain refined sugars, even if it does include fruit. This is also common in yogurt as well.

Smoothies can be a great snack, provided the nutrition is there- check to make sure that most of the ingredients are natural. An alternative to the pre-made mix would be to simply add the whey, plain yogurt, fruit and ice.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Most of those pre-packaged smoothies do contain added sugars. I agree with the last poster in regards to making your own rather than using the pre-packaged type. I usually freeze my smoothie fruits so I don't need to use ice, and they keep longer. When I can find them on sale (berry season is nearly upon us!) I buy several pints while they are cheap and freeze them right away. You can also find bags of frozen berries and other fruit at a reasonable price at places like Costco.