Help me build a plan!

Options
I am 3 months into my weight loss journey and have lost 35 lbs so far using Jillian Michael's DVDs. Currently, I have about 16 days left of Ripped in 30 and have no plan for what to do after that! I am getting slightly nervous since my burn numbers are getting smaller and I have to work intensely to get the numbers I was hitting which I don't mind. I am doing an hour or more of cardio a day on the treadmill or stationary bike (bad knee doesn't allow for everyday treadmill use). I am thinking about trying Zumba but there is no classes in our area. I love workout DVDs that I can do at home. I am not a fan of the gym. So I am looking for some EFFECTIVE ideas to get these last 20 lbs off before summer arrives. Ideas? Can you share with me your Zumba experience? Weight loss and/or inches? Pictures? Feeling a little lost with what to do over the next 3 months of my journey.

Replies

• madzfulcher
    Options
    I seriously LOVE Zumba. Its fun and you can tailor it to fit your needs. The class I go to is really high energy, if you knee is hurting you may be able to tone it down. Any way you could do weight training at home? Mixing the cardio and the weight training may give you the edge you need to loose the LB's and tone the body for summer.
  • meadows654
    meadows654 Posts: 164
    Options
    Do you have a Wii?? There is a Zumba for Wii that's super fun. I'm sure it's not as fun as being there live in a class, but it comes with a belt that you can slip the wii-mote into so your hands are free. I really like it!
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    Do you have a Wii?? There is a Zumba for Wii that's super fun. I'm sure it's not as fun as being there live in a class, but it comes with a belt that you can slip the wii-mote into so your hands are free. I really like it!

I do have a Wii. I've heard mixed reviews that say that it's not as an intense workout as the DVDs or classes and I am the point that I need 'tougher' stuff. Would you say it's a good burn? I have not heard of anyone losing much weight with Zumba, so I am sort of questioning it's effectiveness overall.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I am 3 months into my weight loss journey and have lost 35 lbs so far using Jillian Michael's DVDs. Currently, I have about 16 days left of Ripped in 30 and have no plan for what to do after that! I am getting slightly nervous since my burn numbers are getting smaller and I have to work intensely to get the numbers I was hitting which I don't mind. I am doing an hour or more of cardio a day on the treadmill or stationary bike (bad knee doesn't allow for everyday treadmill use). I am thinking about trying Zumba but there is no classes in our area. I love workout DVDs that I can do at home. I am not a fan of the gym. So I am looking for some EFFECTIVE ideas to get these last 20 lbs off before summer arrives. Ideas? Can you share with me your Zumba experience? Weight loss and/or inches? Pictures? Feeling a little lost with what to do over the next 3 months of my journey.

Your burn numbers will come down as you lose weight because you don't have that extra weight to carry around anymore. Pick up something that weighs 35 pounds and you will realize that was a substantial amount of weight to carry around.

For getting those last 20 pounds off I would suggest doing less cardio and more strength training. You don't have to have a gym to do that as you can get a great strength training workout using just your body weight. I posted some stuff about it in this thread -- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/201749-strength-training-help

The book I mentioned by Mark Lauren in that thread has changed my views completely on body weight exercise.

The other book I found that made a huge difference was reading about Metabolic Resistance Training. It is like Interval Training with strength building exercises either with or without weights. The best book on this that I have found is "Cardio Weight Training" by Robert Dos Remedios who you can find out more about at http://www.coachdos.com/

This approach to exercise will burn much more fat and maintain muscle, and I have seen people build muscle with it as well.

When a person is really overweight (obese) any exercise will help, but in the long run Cardio does not make you thin. All you have to do is look at the many people at gyms who have been doing long duration steady state cardio 6 days a week for years and are still looking like they have fat to lose. "Google sprinter vs marathoner pictures" and you will find lots of comparisons. The marathoners are skinny, but it is a skinny that most of us would not want, where sprinters are also skinny, but in a healthy toned way.

Bang for buck, HIIT and Metabolic Resistance Training are much more effective for fat loss. Now with your knee problem you may have to avoid certain exercises, you many not, as it depends on your specific knee problem. I have a tear in my meniscus which means there are certain things (long distance running among them) that aggravate my knee, but squats and lunges when I concentrate on proper form don't. In fact they strengthen my knee joint. Depending on your knee problem you may want to see a Physical Therapist to determine good and safe exercises that will build your strength and protect your knee.
  • Chula0910
    Chula0910 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I presently take two Zumba classes a week and I love it. The instructor is nuts but I do get my sweat on. LOL. Since I started the gym and classes on 0201/2011 I have lost 15lbs and 14.5 inches. I nearly cried when my girlfriend told me. But if you can't find a class nearby, why not try dance lessons. Thats all it really is and some moves do target certain areas but once you learn the moves and get the beat into your head, you have no choice but to move. When we are in between routines I am super exhausted but as soon as that next song comes on, I just move. It is too funny. Oh, and one of the classes we do circuit training as well. So, we do weights for one minute, and the next minute we ZUMBA. Keeps the body guessing. Its fun and I hope that this helps.