A funny...maybe not so funny wii fit story.

Options
I've been feeling pretty good about myself lately. Since moving to the U.S. away from my loving family and picking up my husband's terrible eating habits for about 3 months, I've gained 20+ pounds. I've been exercising and getting back on track with MFP for almost 4 months now and have lost weight, but not as much as I thought.

I've been weighing myself on my Wii Fit balance board everyday. It seemed convenient since I was doing my exercises on it and not having a scale, well.... I purchased a 3-inch stepper for the board a couple months ago so I can have a better workout when doing step-ups. Leaving this stepper on while weighing yourself is NOT a good idea. I bought a real scale this weekend because something seemed off about my weight on the Wii. I weighed myself on the real scale this morning and I'm about 7 pounds heavier than what the Wii tells me I am. It's even more depressing for my husband who has also been weighing himself regularly and now has a 20+ pound difference from what the Wii tells him.

Although very discouraging, we are still going to go about our weight loss as normal. Surely we've lost weight these last few months so we're not too unhappy with that! :laugh:

Replies

• CodyAnne
    CodyAnne Posts: 20
    Options
    Oh no!! Haha. But you should be encouraged more now, right? I used to weigh myself on Wii Fit all the time - I haven't in a while. I think it's best to weigh yourself once a week (I weigh myself every 2 weeks) always at the same time each time.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    If the wii fit is on a carpet that will cause the weight to be off. You definitely have lost weight just your starting weight was higher than you thought. Keep up the good work through. :bigsmile:
  • keybelle
    keybelle Posts: 15
    Options
    You might want to try a 10 pound weight that you know weighs 10 pounds for sure, and put it on both scales. See which one is the closest and stick with that one. Or it could be whatever you know is a set weight.

At any rate, looking at how much you've lost, a few pounds either way shouldn't be too disturbing! You are doing great.
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    Oddly enough - I had a similar experience over the weekend. I weighed myself and it said that I lost 2.2 pounds. Knowing that I could NOT have lost that much this week, I stepped on again, this time with a 5 lb. bag of flour. It only registered that the flour weighed 0.2 lbs. So I then stepped on a regular scale to find that I had lost about a pound. Still pleased that it is a loss, but I knew the Wii was lying! :-)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have heard a lot of people say the wii fit is waaay off. But i think it depends on how you use it. I have mine on hard floor without the extra step. It is right on every time. I even tested it with a 5 pound bag of flour (thought it had to be wrong due to a BIG loss one week) and it is correct.