I like the "idea" of running

Options
Hello Everyone!

So, it's getting warmer outside (I'm in Canada, so that doesn't mean that it is actually "warm") and there is a nice park near my apartment. I would like to get outside more in the spring, while I am also trying to get fit. I think about how much I would like to be a casual runner, but conditioning runs were always my least favorite part of playing soccer in high school and I am not in great shape right now from months of being mostly sedentary. Where do I start?

Replies

• JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. I love the idea of running but couldn't do it. I started the couch to 5k program (c25k). you can go to their website www.c25k.com for information and if you have a smart phone they have a bunch of different apps. But it basically builds you up so you can run. I am on week 3 right now. check it out. it is working for me~
  • jennrdrgz22
    jennrdrgz22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i second jbrown .. i'm starting week 4 this week and it really does help :)
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Hi.:)

Lots of people around here follow the Couch to 5k program. If you google it, you should find some info. It's basically a program that increases the amount you run each week to get you running from one minute up to thirty. There's an app for it, but you could also do it with just a watch. In the UK, there are podcasts created by the NHS which talk you through the entire thing, too - I don't know if Canada has anything similar.

When I first started, I couldn't run more than thirty seconds in a row. Just run as much as you can, walk the rest, and do a bit more next time. That works with or without a program.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Finished c25k last summer, and I'm still running! Most of the time I look forward to it.

Good luck.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend the C25K program; it's great for beginning runners. I am doing something similar under the direction of a personal trainer and I am training for a 5K. I started by running @ 5mph for 1 min then walking @ 3mph for 1 min, repeating until I finished 3 miles. Then you build on it from there, gradually increasing your running interval time.
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    There's also the 5K101 podcasts that couch you through that kind of program so you don't have to watch time and can find your "zone" or "cruising speed". Those podcasts are free on iTunes.
  • Davali
    Davali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - I've always wanted to be able to run. Is currently a case of the mind is willing, but the body isn't!! I downloaded the podcasts today from the UK website and want to give it a go tomorrow.
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I too would love to run. Thank you for this advice!! :)
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    I am starting the C25K program later this week once the temps get above freezing and am looking forward to it. I ran many years ago and was at my lightest weight ever at that time.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I've just started back running, after 30 years off the track. When I run on the street, I just sprint or jog, then speed-walk until I catch my breath, then repeat for at least 30 minutes. On the track, I started with running half of the 1/4 mile track and doing 4 laps that way. I've increased it to running about 75% of the track, per lap and doing 4 laps that way (1 mile). I'll keep increasing as my strength and endurance increases (and my new running shoes get her tomorrow!).
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am in the minority but I HATE the c25k program. I think it prepares you to run for 30 minutes, but unless you are fast that isnt going to be long enough to even get the cardiovascular fitness.

I developed a program of what I like to call ... common sense running. Inspired by Jeff Galloways run walk program...

I started running for the first 30 seconds of every song on my Ipod for 2 miles - then 3 miles.
    Then I increased it to 1 minute for 3 miles.
    Then I increased it to run 1 minute walk 3 minutes.... then walk 2 minutes. Then run 1:30/walk 2 minutes... you get the idea.
    My first half marathon was run with intervals 2:2 for the first mile and 4:2 and 6:2 for the other miles.

Intervals is what made my love for running - you can always look forward to your next walk break!
    Feel free to friend me if you would like, I would love to help support you!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been thinking about getting into running, myself. I've always hated it but my sister is a marathon runner and really seems to enjoy it so.... Guess I need to look into the suggested sites.

My problem is the opposite of yours. I live in Tucson, AZ and while the weather today is gorgeous, it's supposed to be in the mid-90s by the middle of the week. Summer temps are in the 70s for the lows and over 100° in the afternoons. Running when it's that hot is not only uncomfortable, it's dangerous! Guess I might have to think about getting up even earlier in the morning before work if I want to give this a go. :)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am in the minority but I HATE the c25k program. I think it prepares you to run for 30 minutes, but unless you are fast that isnt going to be long enough to even get the cardiovascular fitness.

I developed a program of what I like to call ... common sense running. Inspired by Jeff Galloways run walk program...

I started running for the first 30 seconds of every song on my Ipod for 2 miles - then 3 miles.
    Then I increased it to 1 minute for 3 miles.
    Then I increased it to run 1 minute walk 3 minutes.... then walk 2 minutes. Then run 1:30/walk 2 minutes... you get the idea.
    My first half marathon was run with intervals 2:2 for the first mile and 4:2 and 6:2 for the other miles.

Intervals is what made my love for running - you can always look forward to your next walk break!
    Feel free to friend me if you would like, I would love to help support you!

I think I may try this instead of c25k. For some reason even C25K is a bit too much for me to start with as I'm still a BIG girl. But I only have a 30 minute window to workout since I'm doing it on my lunch break at work, so I'm not sure if I can get the 2 miles in.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options

<<snipped>>

I agree... I do a modified version of the C25K...basically I started by alternate walking 1 minute, jogging 30 seconds for total of 30 minutes...adding 30 additional seconds to the jogging every 3 or 4 days....when I hit 5 minutes of jogging, I change it to 5 minutes of jogging alternating with 1 minute of running.... my goal is to run 60 minutes at 5mph
  • Jordu
    Jordu Posts: 13
    Options
    If you can get your hands on a good heart rate monitor (make sure it has a chest strap so that it can constantly monitor your heart rate), that can be a good tool for pacing yourself while doing your running. Try to stay within 70%-80% of your max heart rate (approximately 220 minus your age). Theoretically, that should help you to build up your cardiovascular endurance levels without tiring you out to the point where you just feel like collapsing.

Also, it can help if you have a heart rate monitor that alerts you when your heart rate goes above or below your desired beats per minute.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Like others said, the Couch to 5K is a very good way to start. I did it about 5-6 years ago and was able to run a 10K 7 months later, plus I was in a great shape and great mindset. Running is like therapy to me, meditation. I have a Forerunner watch and strap and an IPod (plus good shoes, I would advise you go to the Running Room, they will find the perfect pair for you, the one that feels like you're wearing slippers).

ETA: after a 2 years hiatus, i'm starting again with the Couch to 5K
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

I think I may try this instead of c25k. For some reason even C25K is a bit too much for me to start with as I'm still a BIG girl. But I only have a 30 minute window to workout since I'm doing it on my lunch break at work, so I'm not sure if I can get the 2 miles in.

Then start with 30 minutes and inc to 45 for one day on the weekend and make this your goal! You can do this girl... I am still in the process is cleaning my closet BTW I just havent had time to work on it lately!
  • sculbreath
    sculbreath Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I too have followed the Galloway method of training. I started running 1 minute and walking 4. After 2 weeks, I increased my running time by 30 sec. Now, I run 5 and walk 2. I have run several half marathons with this method and it works for me. Good luck!