Eggs

Options
Most days, I eat at least one egg a day, either as part of breakfast, a snack, or when I feel like having eggs as my major protein for dinner. I eat them because I have 8 chickens who give me beautiful fresh eggs every day.

My question is this: Should I cut down on the number of eggs I eat in a week? Is there some sort of recommended amount?

And, if I'm going to eat the entire egg (whites and yolk) does it really matter how it's cooked? If I fry it I do include the tiny bit of butter I use in the pan in my food diary.

Thanks
Linda

Replies

• seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use egg beaters, only 30 cal per egg and I usually make omlets or french toast any way. My favorite is cornbeef and cabbage, 4 ounces of corn beef and 8 ounces of cabbage is only 233 calories, and 13 carbs and half those carbs are dietary fiber.
  • loveandprideforever
    loveandprideforever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi. I think eggs are okay. If you are eating all of the egg, then just make sure that the rest of your food doesn't contain a lot of cholesterol, however, the yolk and the white are packed with nutrients, so dig in, but just don't overdo it with calories (about 70-90 per egg).
    Also, It DEFINITELY matters how you cook the egg (whether it's the whole egg or not). And DEFINITELY include the butter you use. I usually just use a cooking spray (0 calories) or water when I cook anything and then I'm not adding calories. Think about it, even though you may not be using much butter in the pan per egg, by the end of the week, that tablespoon x7 could add up to 1/4 or 1/2 of a cup of BUTTER. Definitely count it or leave it out all together.
    On a side note, GOOD FOR YOU for growing/caring for your own food (at least some of it). This is all too rare these days, but I feel as though it allows individuals to stay connected.
  • Beach_Chica
    Beach_Chica Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm an egg fanatic. I eat them almost everyday, but I am thinking about switching to Egg Beaters or something of the sort. They just don't taste as well to me, but I'm sure it's worth it.
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I eat up to 8 a day (whites only) because they are such a good source of protein. I try to eat them on my lifting days. I boil them. Yummy :)
  • CoastieGMWife
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs too and don't see the harm in it. They are a great form of protien. (Though I am jealous of your extra fresh eggs ;) ) If you are using a fat like butter to cook them then I would add that in with your diary. Those little pats do add up.
  • randi50
    randi50 Posts: 112
    Options
    I "fry" my eggs in an EVOO cooking spray with 0 cals so I am not adding any. If you use butter be sure to diary the butter too.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I love eggs! yep make sure you log anything you cook them in.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Your eggs probably aren't even as high in cholesterol and fat as eggs you would get in the store anyway depending on what you feed your chickens. I love eggs. They are good and good for you for the most part, Just make sure if you are eating meet during the rest of the day that it is a lean.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I love eggs. I probably eat them about 5 days out of the week.
    I usually eat them soft-boiled. If you fry them with butter then I would probably count the butter (or some of the butter) towards your calories.
  • LMG0511
    LMG0511 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to have fresh eggs as often as you get them! Eggs are a healthy way to get proteins and fats...if it's been working for you, I wouldn't change it! Perhaps you can alternate eating the whole egg and egg whites to lower calories. I usually give a yolk or two to my dog (they are good for a canine's skin and coat), so I don't "waste" anything.

As far as cooking goes- you can use cooking spray in place of butter to make your fried eggs- or scrambled eggs. Hard-boiled is a great on-the-go snack as well. A blogger I follow makes "egg puffs" with a whole egg or a white- here is a video tutorial:

http://fitnessista.com/2010/03/infamous-egg-puff/

Also, try to add in fresh veggies with your eggs when possible! :)

Hope this helps!
  • trekkiebeth
    trekkiebeth Posts: 172
    Options
    I keep seeing things that say eggs are actually good to eat every day, and you should eat the whole thing because the yolk has good stuff in it too. I use coconut oil to cook my eggs instead of butter. It's really healthy and gives the eggs a little bit of extra flavor. I usually don't like coconut, but I like using it for cooking.
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    Hi

I eat one egg everyday too, I don't have high-cholesterol, but if you do, or if you eat more than one a day, you may want to cook the egg whites, and have only one yolk a day.

If you don't want your egg (yolk) to go to waste:
    Sometimes I save the raw yolk(s) in a small cup or glass and use it/them as a face or hair mask. You just have to let it dry on your face and then rinse with cool water.
  • az1cowgirl
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I now have cooking spray added to my shopping list so I can cut out those butter calories. Just for the record, I do not use margarine ever...ick.
    On a side note, GOOD FOR YOU for growing/caring for your own food (at least some of it). This is all too rare these days, but I feel as though it allows individuals to stay connected.

Thank you. I started a couple of years ago growing my own garden and raising chickens which isn't easy in the Sonoran Desert!! We really enjoy them and the eggs are fantastic compared to store bought. I feed my chickens plenty of veggies, they eat a lot of grass, I give them lay crumble, and occasionally they like meat as well. They are omnivores after all!

Linda
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 egg a day, and buy the Eggland's Best brand as they seem to be more nutritious than regular eggs.
  • bigtoddzilla
    Options
    I have read that people who eat a whole egg for breakfast consume 24% less calories per day.
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I use a poacher which just takes a little spray of cooking oil, very few calories. The poacher is great and you can make them as soft or as hard as you want. I love poached eggs for breakfast.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I use a poacher which just takes a little spray of cooking oil, very few calories. The poacher is great and you can make them as soft or as hard as you want. I love poached eggs for breakfast.

Where did you find your poacher? Ive been looking for one that I can use in my microwave! (so I dont need to use cooking oil at all)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I love eggs too! I dont eat them everyday. I would suggest if your cholesterol is high that you might want to limit them.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fine. I wouldn't change anything abotu the quantity you eat.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I bought this poacher from amazon. LOVE it! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Trudeau-Silicone-Single-Poacher-Yellow/dp/B000ZHAKDU/ref=pd_sim_k_1

I intentionally over cook the yolk so that I can have an egg sandwich for breakfast in the car. :)