Zumba

Sparkym0m
Sparkym0m Posts: 2
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm disappointed and a little shocked that this app does not have info on calories burned doing zumba. The zumba infomercial states that you can burn *up to 1000 calories an hour! I highly doubt I am burning 1000 calories but I also doubt that I am only burning the 266 calories that populate when I enter dancing! Anyone have any idea what a more accurate number might be???

Replies

• Momma2r
    Momma2r Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a Garmin HRM and it says I burn about 630 calories in a 60 minute session... Before the HRM I logged it as Aerobics, high impact, and that seemed to give a more accurate measure of calories burned. Hope that helps!
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    i enter it as aerobics high impact
  • ebju8482
    ebju8482 Posts: 32
    When I wear my heart rate monitor it says that I burn around 800-850 calories hope this helps.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    I would like to know that too! I do zumba, cardiokick and kettlebells and none of them are in here. It is kind of frustrating.
  • I've been logging it as "Linedancing", but according to those with HRM's, that doesn't come close to the number of calories I'm burning, either.
  • MsKittyCAT
    MsKittyCAT Posts: 217
    I did my first class yesterday and was looking for this info as well. I logged mine under dance, aerobic and it said 384 calories burned in 60 minutes. I thought it would be more. Guess I will need a heart rate monitor to figure it out but don't have any money to spend right now...
  • I have heard from a lot of people on this topic and it all depends on the intensity of the class, your body, your weight, and how hard you work. With that being said, I'm betting you burn more than 266. I wear a HRM, and burn between 350-450 during an hour of class. It always depends on which routines we're doing and how hard I work.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    i enter it as aerobics high impact

I also enter mine as high impact aerobics =)
  • Thanks for the info...sounds like the HRM may be the best indicator, I may need to look into purchasing one!!
  • fitmomma23
    fitmomma23 Posts: 94 Member
    Really the easiest way to find out is to get a heart rate monitor that tells you how many calories your burned during a workout, because everyone is different, with weight and your heart rate. So that is my suggestion Ü
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    It really depends on your instructor and the class. some instructors are probably not as intensified with it.. I go to my zumba class at the gym when im able to and it doesnt seem to be all that HIGH intensity.. I dont feel like my HR gets up extrememly high. I log it as modern, aerobic dancing cause zumba is a type of dance fitness. it says i burn 300 something in 60 min... if i logged it as high intensity aerobics, It would b wayy too high an estimate I think. I dont feel like I burn over 400 im sure.... Im not sure.. the most accurate way to know is to get a HRM cause everybody is different! Im workin on getting one w a chest strap, as they are the most accurate
  • tcsteeves
    tcsteeves Posts: 59
    I just signed up today on MFP and wondered the same thing. It's a little weird that as popular Zumba is, that they don't have a category. I listed my workout as dancing, aerobic, twist..etc for 50 minutes and it said I burnt 422 calories. I don't have any idea if that's correct. I wanted to enter in Zumba as an exercise but was clueless what to put down for calories burnt. Hopefully someone will add this category soon.
  • leafyq
    leafyq Posts: 21
    So many things make a big difference in how many calories you burn doing Zumba. How intense was the class? Were you able to keep up, doing every move to full intensity? What is your body type? You can't pinpoint it. My class is moderate, and I generally log something worth 60 minutes and 400 calories. I think it might be a low estimate, but I'd rather guess low than high.
This discussion has been closed.