Still having chest pains...

Options
Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
I've been getting chest pains on and off for a couple months now. It's not like sharp pains, it doesnt hurt more when I breathe it's just like an achey pain. So I went to the doctors a couple weeks ago and they did an ekg( I think) the thing when they hook the little suction cup things to you. Then they also had me get an xray I guess to make sure i didnt have a broken rib or something. Both those things came back completely normal. I dont know if im being a paranoid freak because I know sometimes ya just get aches and pains. Im just a hypochondriac(sp) to begin with so Im freaking out. I would think that if it were something serious that the pains wouldnt come and go and that they would be unbearable. I dont know. All my friends and family that know how I am are just like your fine. Its just annoying that i keep getting them. And I'm paranoid because it's not like they got an ultra sound or whatever of my heart to actually see it so how can they know for sure that nothing is wrong.
Oye.

Please dont post anything in a manner to freak me out. lol

Replies

• dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    why don't you go back to your doctor and tell them that you would like an ultrasound (also called an ecocardiogram) to ease your mind because the pain has been persistant.

docs don't know what you need unless you tell them.

hope you feel better soon!
    B :flowerforyou:
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Try to record when these pains happen: time of day, what you were doing when they happened etc and then go back to the doctor, tell them you are still having pain. Don't stop until you have answers
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Sounds alot like muscle spasams to me. I used to get them all of the time when I was overweight. I would take tylenor and it would go away.
  • bethanymelton
    bethanymelton Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Be persistent with the docs - chest pain is nothing to mess with. Keep an eye on what you are eating and when. Gas/Acid Reflux can mimic chest pain.
  • lisadonachie
    Options
    ive been throgh the same sort of thing had ecg came back normal , xrays , even had the 24 hr monitor them the 3 day monitor. the hospital cant find out wrong. now i find i only really get it around the time of my period. i find it the most wieredest thing ever. mine all started after i had my son i had quite a difficult birth , ive also passed out a couple of times with it. the doc now said its stress related and i just learn to get on with it now. hope you find a answer for yours thu. dont let it stop u doing stuff x
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    My husband's chest muscles hurt off and on all the time - he's been to cardiologists and the emergency room and everything and they can't find anything wrong. So it seems like it's just weird cramps or something. Anyway, hang in there. Sometimes people have weird pains. There's this thing where the cartilage in your chest hurts, too, like a chest arthritis thing. It might be aggravated by working out?
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    Have you been having heartburn or gas? Gas pressure on the bottom of your esophagus can some times cause a pain at the base of your sternum. Sometimes when you change your diet and start eating more fruit and veggies it takes a while for your stomach to adjust.
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I had the same type of symptoms... and i am a hypochondriac too!!! ( i even went to the dr. once because i thought i had a tumor in my neck... and it was just a knot LOL) i found out i had heartburn... or acid reflux... and it felt like chest pains... so now i take a tums and im good to go :)
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Sounds like anxiety.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    Well I just called my primary and Im going in today after work. arrgggg
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    There is an inflammation that happens in the chest wall and the cartilidge that attaches the ribs to the breast bone. It is called Costochondritis and it feeds off of anxiety, weather and stress. It is a type of arthritis. Google it and see if it explains what you have been experiencing. I have had it for 2 years now and I just push through it. :) I find that anti inflammatory creams help a lot with the pain. I get it really bad when I have worked out with reistance bands or do push-ups. I still do the resistance bands but I don't do push ups because the whole next day my chest hurts so bad.

Hope this helps. I understand what you are going through. I am just REALLY lucky to have an amazing doctor who has had this himself.

Also for the lady that said this happens often before TOM that is also when I notice mine gets really bad.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Have them check your potassium levels! My husband used to have bad chest pains, we went to doctor after doctor trying to figure out what was wrong with him (heart conditions run in his family so he was freaked, it was also a stressful time in life so I think it was also part panic attacks) and eventually a doctor decided to take blood. Low and behold he is deficient in potassium, he also ran into someone else at his work who said he thought he was having a heart attack and it turned out to be potassium deficiency.

Forgot to add that he had a EKG and a X-ray a couple of different times and they all came back normal, this problem plagued him for close to two years before we found out.
  • medavis510
    Options
    Where exactly is this pain located? Do you use your arm muscles to push and pull a lot? I was over exerting my right arm while moving equipment and patients at work. I have had Costochondritis, a condition where the cartilage that connects the sternum to the ribs become inflamed. My pain was in my upper chest on the right side, and I thought it was Cardio/Respitatory related. My doctor prescribed me anti-inflammatory steroids and rest. So maybe the pain is joint/muscle related?
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    maybe heart burn?
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    Where exactly is this pain located? Do you use your arm muscles to push and pull a lot? I was over exerting my right arm while moving equipment and patients at work. I have had Costochondritis, a condition where the cartilage that connects the sternum to the ribs become inflamed. My pain was in my upper chest on the right side, and I thought it was Cardio/Respitatory related. My doctor prescribed me anti-inflammatory steroids and rest. So maybe the pain is joint/muscle related?

It changes. Like this morning it was my whole chest, but right now its the right side and a little of my arm. but before its been the left side.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I have Mitro Valve Prolapse and it sounds like what I expieranced when I was younger. It isn't ANYTHING to worry about (like 20% of women have it and don't know it)... its basically an extra valve on your heart that does nothing but it gave me chest pains that sound just like that. Maybe ask your dr. to check on it?
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    How bout a bruised rib or herniated musle? did the doc rule those out? or the old standby...heartburn?
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    no i dont think its heartburn. its weird
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    I think that maybe I did just pull something..but im still going to go just to be safe. I dont really no how much more a primary doctor can do though.
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    I work at a cardiology office. If your EKG came back normal, there is a fairly good chance that what you are feeling is benign. If you were having a heart attack or having problems with your valves, it would have shown up on the EKG. It honestly sounds muscular in nature. I wouldn't worry about it unless you experience it with shortness of breath and nausea or something along those lines. I'm sure you are ok :)