cooking oils

brianparow
brianparow Posts: 17
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
If I use 1 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, which has 120 Calories, to fry with and I end up with oil still in the pan after I take my food out then how many of those calories should I be accountable for?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I count them all. I have been pleasantly surprised to learn that most of the time I can make do with one teaspoon of oil rather than a full tablespoon. Basically I try to shave calories off everywhere I can :laugh:
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Never use Olive Oil to fry or heat up, it loses its natural state, and therefore its defeats the purpose of consuming the valuable nutrients. Olive oil should only be put of top of food after they are cooked, room temperature.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    I cook with it all the time. I don't "fry" with it. Sautee....
    If it goes in the pan, I add the calories.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Never use Olive Oil to fry or heat up, it loses its natural state, and therefore its defeats the purpose of consuming the valuable nutrients. Olive oil should only be put of top of food after they are cooked, room temperature.

What is its "natural state"?

Cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil (the expensive stuff that looks green) should be used in its raw state, since you likely paid good money for something that will taste different when cooked. Reasonably priced olive oil (e.g. not cold pressed) doesn't change chemical structure when cooked or destroy polyphenols, unless you are taking it beyond its smoke point.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    As a cook, I can say that Olive oil IS made for cooking and sauteing meats and veggies. Just count the whole 120 calories for your diary, although a tiny bit can go a long way. If you want to skip the added calories though, Pam is just as good for cooking stuff in. The only way you want to use uncooked olive oil is for vinaigrette's for your salads.
  • RitaPrior
    RitaPrior Posts: 39 Member
    As a cook, I can say that Olive oil IS made for cooking and sauteing meats and veggies. Just count the whole 120 calories for your diary, although a tiny bit can go a long way. If you want to skip the added calories though, Pam is just as good for cooking stuff in. The only way you want to use uncooked olive oil is for vinaigrette's for your salads.

Very good info. I will buy some PAM.
This discussion has been closed.