Calling All Runners!!!! I Need Help!

Options
Hello!

I've been researching shin splints, and I'm finding that everyone is saying something different.

Here's my story: I started the Couch to 5k program a couple of weeks ago, (I'm a beginner runner), I have fairly new, nike sneakers, (not sure if they are cross-trainers or runners). I made sure to skip a day in between workouts, and I don't feel like I pushed myself too hard. I think I run my heels, and I run on pavement, with a very mild incline and decline.

Around Week 2, Day 1, I started to notice that when I got home from my jog, the insides of my shins felt like they were made of very delicate glass. I iced them on and off that day, and then I rested the next day. Then I attempted Week 2, Day 3, and I couldn't even make it through the first jogging section (90 seconds).

I rested for about 2 days, and then I tried again. This time I warmed up for 10 minutes instead of 5, and I stretched my legs really well. But same thing, as soon as I started jogging, the pain flared up again.

I haven't run since then, the pain is very minimal, but at the end of the day (I'm a stay at home mom), the pain slowly builds up, just enough to notice.

I don't know what to do, I want to train, but I feel so helpless.

I'm looking for runner's advice, I'll try anything to get back in my sneakers!!

Replies

• calcote05
    calcote05 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I had the same problem. Try to keep your feet as close to the ground as possible. This really helped me. Also, if you want good running shoes you need to be professionally fitted. I still haven't done this and have other injuries as a result. Good luck!!
  • jrlitt76
    jrlitt76 Posts: 52
    Options
    have you tried some really good cojmpression socks or leggins? sometimes that helps
  • forbessw
    forbessw Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store and get fitted for the correct type of running shoe. Neutral, motion control, etc. Fleet feet is the only place I buy shoes.

This will help alot I suspect.

Hope your shins get better!!
    Ryan
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    It could be your shoes. I always recommend getting shoes from a specialty running store. They'll look at your feet, watch you walk and run to make sure you are in the prefect shoe. If your shoes don't fit right, you are more prone to injury. The fact that you don't know if your shoes are even running shoes is a bad sign that you are in the wrong shoes.
  • amyhbrown
    amyhbrown Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of exercises for shin splints:

1) Sit in a chair. Point your toes and write the alphabet on the ground with your feet. (Sounds weird but people swear by it.)
    2) Sit in a chair with an exercise ball on top of your shins. Pressing down on the ball with your hands, lift your toes as if you are trying to lift the ball with your feet. This will help strengthen that area.

You may still need a different pair of shoes. I can't run in Nike - I like Asics.

Hope this helps.

Amy
  • lisapickering
    Options
    If you're not sure if your shoes are running shoes are cross trainers this could be the problem. Running in cross trainers isn't a good idea. I would go and get fitted for a proper pair of running shoes.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I read a post once from a girl who said that if you spell out the alphabet with your toes three times a day it will cure shin splints. She seemed to swear by it. It cant hurt to try! Good luck!! I am also a beginner runner!!
  • forkeeps
    forkeeps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I second and third the "go to a specialty shoe store and get the correct shoes" advice. I can't tell you how much it helped my shins and knees when I did this. I love the Shoe People as I call them. I also go to Fleet Feet.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I feel ur pain sister!! Dont know what id do if i got shin splints!! I heard u have to sit down and do the alphabet with ur toes..... I have a radox bath when i run... I take cod liver oils... Thats all i know about running really... It will be interesting to keep an eye on this post incase it ever happens to me too!! Good luck and i hope your not out of action for tooooo long!!! x
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    i had shin pain when I started running. It was because the muscle down the front of the shin expands faster than the sheath it is in, which then hurts. As you continue the sheath expands and it settles down, but it takes time. I would advise nurofen and ice on your shins after running. Maybe nurofen before too, to prevent swelling.
  • amyfritz
    amyfritz Posts: 33
    Options
    I have had a long standing problem with shin splints and stress fractures of my tibia. My problem originates from a limb length difference. I personally really like using compression sleeves as well. I would also double check to make sure your shoes are designed for running since cross trainers arent supportive enough to run in. I also really concentrate on landing on the outsides of my feet, rather than hitting the insides of my feet and letting them roll (pronate) inward. Since i have a long history with shin splints I know I will never be 100% pain free while running, I usually notice a little discomfort (not pain) for the first 5 minutes though. I just push through and am ok the rest of the run and the next day. Just be careful you dont end up with a stress fracture, (you will know because instantly your leg will hurt and it wont ache, but will be more of a sharp pain. Good luck, hope they go away.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    It sounds like Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome... which is a form of shin splints. Shin splints are an over use injury.

Thats the kind I get. It comes from a mechanical running defect.

This is what I was told by the Chiropractor (who is also a distance runner) who practices ART Therapy (Active Release Technique) on me...

"You are likely a pronator and you have a weakness in the dorsiflexors. This comes from not engaging your toes while running ... you shuffle but you don't push off as effectively with your toes as you should."

Given that you have just started running, you may have to back off on the mileage and start more slowly. You should also go to a running specialty store (Running Room, Stride Ahead, Fleet Feet) and have them assess your gait. You will want to be properly fitted with running shoes (I am thinking motion control based on what you said).

In the meantime, take a few days off, ice massage and do deep tissue massage as well (you'll want to dig your thumbs right in until it hurts).

Also ... Do you stretch after running? This is when the muscles are most limber and will likely start to tighten up.

Please feel free to add me if you have any questions.
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    Tennis balls and ice. yup. random, continue to warm up before your runs. try intervals of run/walk while you build up your strength (even more so thanC25K if necessary). then after, take a a tennis ball ($2 for 3 of them) and roll it along your calves to massage the muscles (plus it can be a good arm work out- double score). After, or whenever, ice the muscles to aid in healing (helps push lactic acid out of the muscle). 20 minutes is perfect- couple times a day if you can.
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    Also... look at the running surface....

Most roads are crowned... which means they peak in the center so that water will run off the sides.

This means your feet aren't hitting the ground level either.

Try to run on a level and softer surface (gravel, actual asphalt running path etc). It is distinctly easier on the legs.
  • rickeroye
    Options
    I agree with all the advice you've gotten so far. I used to get shin splits real bad also but it isn't a problem for me anymore. The biggest things that helped me was:

- proper fitting shoes with nice cushion
    - making sure I don't overtrain. Increase over mileage and pace gradually and have proper rest between runs.
    - Exercises after the run or sometime during the day. Doing the alphabet with your toes as couple person mentioned. Another one that I really like is sitting down and lift/lower your toes while keeping the heels on the ground. Do it quickly and you will start to feel a nice burn in the shins.
    - ICE ICE ICE after your run. I don't have to do this much anymore but it definitely used to help.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I read a post once from a girl who said that if you spell out the alphabet with your toes three times a day it will cure shin splints. She seemed to swear by it. It cant hurt to try! Good luck!! I am also a beginner runner!!

I don't get this. Spell out with your toes?
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options

I don't get this. Spell out with your toes?

Yeah pretend your toes are pencils and spell the alphabet in the air with them.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I guess I worded that a little wrong...haha. Write the letters of the alphabet with your big toe. Make an A then B then C, and so on. Sorry!!
  • frmeital
    frmeital Posts: 36
    Options
    Everybody says something different because everybody has a different cause for shin splints. Sometimes it's the shoes, sometimes overstriding, flat feet etc. This is an article about shin splints causes and treatments, hope it helps:

http://www.squidoo.com/shin-splints-treatment-for-athletes