getting myself to run faster

Options
I have a problem. Here we go: I've noticed on a lot of the boards about running that people discuss "pushing yourself too hard." And we all discuss how we pay for it later with sore muscles, maybe even injuries. But my problem is the opposite. I don't think I push myself hard enough. I hold back in fear that I will be too tired to finish my "x" - minute run. I ran a 5k this past weekend and my last mile I ran it at 11 minutes, which I've never done before; my miles are usu. a lot slower than that (I run outside fyi). Even when I'm done with my run, I still feel like I could dig a little deeper and do more. Any tips or tricks to keeping that fire under your feet and get me moving faster?

Replies

• ProjectSara
    ProjectSara Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying intervals. Get some new tunes that have fast beats that you can try to run to. I need music that I find catchy in order to run faster to. You can even go for just 30 second sprints, then run regularly for 2-3 minutes and sprint again.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    doing fartleks and intervals is a great way to increase your speed. I also believe in LSD....long slow distance. The longer and slower your long runs are on the weekends, the faster your shorter ones during the week will be. For example: My 11 mile run this last weekend was over a 12 mm pace. Today I did a 5 miler right around an 11 min pace. This coming weekend I'm running a 5k race and hope to pr at a 9 min pace.

You can also wear a heart rate monitor so you know if you are really pushing or not.
  • stred321
    stred321 Posts: 48
    Options
    Why not try running one mile a bit faster and see how you feel? That shouldnt affect your run too much....then once you feel ready too speed up the next mile and so on and so forth....
  • lisapickering
    Options
    A good way to push yourself is to run "fast" between this lamppost and the next (or whatever landmarks you want to use) and then go back to your normal pace do this several times during your run. Do you time yourself when you go for a run? Try and beat your last run by a few seconds.

Generally people run faster in races, as there are other people around, you have adreneline pumping.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Know that you can always take a walk break if you push it too hard. When i am out running I try to gauge my exertion, like " Ok, right now I am running at about 65% I wonder if I could pick it up to 70% for the next 2 min" etc and you will up your speed and burn. I also "kick it" at the end of my runs, for the last .5 miles or so I run as hard and as fast as I can so that when I get to my house I am totally out of breath and thinking to myself, " kick *kitten* Ash, good job" mental coaching has always helped me. I'm sure my neighbors hear me telling myself to "dig" and "pick it up" as I run by their houses at 5:30am. LOL

Hope this helps :)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    A few things you could try....

Hills training is one form of speed work... Sprint to the top and slowly jog back down and repeat.

Sprinting... run for 10 minutes at a normal pace and then sprint for 60 seconds. Repeat. Do this for a couple of weeks and then increase the frequency and duration (i.e. run for 9 minutes and sprint for 90 seconds and repeat.)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Your race pace should be faster than your training pace. So that is nothing unusual. Where you push yourself in training is with sprint /interval and tempo tuns: higher speeds for periods of time that are typically shorter than your usual run.

The "pushing too hard" is usually related to trying to do too much, too fast: speed is more often an issue w/new runners, when the focus should be on going the distance (one of the best pieces of advice I got when I was starting out!!). But anyone can fall into the trap of trying to increase mileage too quickly. No more than 10% per week. I do it every once in awhile and am quickly reminded why that guideline is there. Your body will let you know if you are doing too much.

There is a great tool @ Runner's World to help you figure things out: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/trainingcalculator/0,7169,s6-238-277-279-0-0-0-0-0,00.html?cm_mmc=Mag_URL-_-2008_August-_-Dean_Karnazes-_-Race_Prediction

It gives you some guidelines of what your run paces should look like based on a recent race result. They also have some great virtual training programs. You should check them out.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Tough one. I do the same a bit, as I have done the running too fast at the start and burning out 6k in thing, which was not fun. I would start incorporating a couple of sprints into your run, so you have patches that are faster, then slow it down again.
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions! I will start incorporating each one until I find what works best!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A couple of the the things that helped me most was sustaining a "comfortably difficult" pace. Many people refer to it as a tempo pace also.
    Plus another is that because of where I live, I almost always have to run a hilly course. At first they are tough, but keep at it and after a while, you can run up them and keep the same speed.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am not particularly knowledgeable in this realm, nor a particularly good runner. But, I'd say the interval/fartlek/hiit thing would be a very good idea. I know running with someone else helped push me, but you said something about a race, so you're probably already doing that.

I was taught that towards the end of your run, dig in really deep and sprint as hard as you can for the last leg. That's helped me find a reservoir I never would've known I had.

Also also, I read tilting your head up, looking at the horizon rather than tilted downward, can give you a little pep-boost thing. Sounds silly, but it's worked for me. Could be all in my head.