Tofu help

Options
2»

Replies

• chawntamarie
    Options
    I really like tofu and being vegetarian it is a great way for me to get some protein. The newest thing I've tried is golden sesame tofu. I've been missing my favorite Chinese restaurant's sesame tofu (deep fried of course) so I gave this recipe a try. My husband and I really liked it (and he is a meat-eater) - so much so that I made it twice in two weeks. Here is the link http://dianacooks.com/2009/05/02/golden-sesame-tofu/
    Its not as complicated as it sounds, but I made some changes. I couldn't find mirin so I used 1 T of rice vinegar and 1 T of sweet chili sauce, skipped the red pepper flakes, dusted the tofu w/ cornstarch (not that healthy but better than deep fat frying), and used scallions. It is great left over as well.

Tofu Tip: If you freeze tofu, thaw it and drain it well, it has a "meatier" texture.

Another quick recipe that I like is Tofu pot pie. Since becoming veg - I've really missed certain comfort foods - pot pies being one of them. This turned out good and hit the spot.
    Ingredients:
    Pepperidge Farm - Puff Pastry Sheets - 1;
    Campbell's - Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup - 1 can
    Nasoya - Super Firm Tofu - Cubed (I measured 80 grams (8.4 oz) with my food scale)
    Onions - Sweet, raw, 1 onion
    Carrots - Raw, 0.5 cup, chopped
    Generic - Garlic Raw Clove, 1 raw clove
    Oil Olive 1 Tbsp
    Frozen Whole Kernel Golden Corn, 2/3 cup
    Sweet Peas Frozen, 2/3 cup

Directions:
    Heat the oven to 400°F.
    Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until they're tender, stirring often.
    Stir the gravy, vegetables and tofu in the skillet and cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling. Spoon the tofu mixture into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
    Unfold the pastry sheet and place over the tofu mixture. Trim excess pastry. Crimp the pastry with a fork to seal.
    Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.

Serves 6: Calories Per Serving: 357; Carbs - 30; Fat - 21; Protein - 11
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I made tofu last night! with steamed cauliflower, broccoli, rice and VH yellow curry sauce...my kid ate it like he's never seen food, but I discovered I don't like yellow curry lol