Chips and Tortillas

Options
I am looking for a low calorie corn chip and low calorie tortillas....anyone have some suggestions on what I could try??? Thanks!

Replies

• rungurlrun
    Options
    Tag, me too, where are the experts?
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I really like the Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat tortillas. The small ones are only like 50 Calories and good for you! Nothing tastes as good as the real thing, but it's not worth 150 calories to me. I could have 3 tortillas for that!
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    bump,I am about to go out and get some tortillas for supper.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I buy the mission extra thin yellow corn tortillas, cut them into strips and bake at 425 for 8-12 mins. Let sit 5 mins to fully crisp.

I also use either black bean/corn chi chi's salsa or original recipe chi chi's salsa. 20 cals in 2 TBSP's.

AWESOME and lowest sodium tortilla out there.

2 tortillas are 80calories and I usually have 4 and get a bowlful of homemade chips.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kitkat1781
    Options
    @mhanson18--do you use any oil or just put the tortilla straight on a pan in the oven?
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I actually spray em with the olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle a little chili powder on them...
  • mrsparker31
    mrsparker31 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great idea, thanks!!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I buy the mission extra thin yellow corn tortillas, cut them into strips and bake at 425 for 8-12 mins. Let sit 5 mins to fully crisp.

AWESOME and lowest sodium tortilla out there.

2 tortillas are 80 calories and I usually have 4 and get a bowlful of homemade chips.

I was just going to type the same thing!
  • globe_trekker
    globe_trekker Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love tortillas and chips, and recently started making my own corn tortillas, you totally control the sodium, and since you can make them as thin as you like, control the calories per tortillas. These can then be cut up into 12 pie shaped slices or strips, whatever you prefer, and baked, no oil. I am going to experiment with using the water to steam spinach, to bump up the nutritional value of the corn tortillas. I will also try tomato juice, and possibly finely chopped tomatoes for nutritional value.

They are super easy to make, it helps if you have an aluminum tortilla press http://www.tortillapress.org/images/cast-aluminum-tortilla-press.jpg as I use a rolling pin for flour (more fat, and calories), and you only use two ingredients, one of which is water. I use Maseca corn masa, I do use a bit of salt, and you can add a bit of lime to act as a preservative so they store in the fridge for a bit longer than normal.

I recommend lining the tortilla press, or whatever surface you use with a rolling pin with a thin sheet of plastic to easily release the thin tortilla after pressing/rolling.

My favorite store purchased flour tortillas are Tortilla Land brand uncooked, same calories as most other flour tortillas, but bigger, and in MHO much tastier.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    So far all I've found are pringles which aren't significant in difference. 140cals for every 28chips. It looks like avoiding potato in large/moderate doses is the lowest option. I was looking for low calorie corn chips and stumbled on a site I've been using for a few months now. Kind of funny... Sort-of.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I like to use fiber one 80 calorie wraps in place of my tortillas. I usually stuff one full, more like a burrito and that's all I can eat!