Meatless ideas that a meat and potatoes man will eat

Options
I want to try to incorporate a few more meatless meals into my diet. The problem is that I am married to a real meat and potatoes guy who is also a picky eater. That has contributed to both our weight gain. I want to try to sneak in a few meatless meals here and there, but they have to satisfy him too. I am a very good cook, so I don't necessarily need really easy meals. Any ideas? Thanks.

Replies

• emmascott
    emmascott Posts: 249
    Options
    When you get some, pass them my way too!!! lol

Same situation here!!!

Em
    x
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    There's a recipe that looks yummy in the current issue of Disney's Family Fun magazine for a black bean and sweet potato chili, haven't made it yet, but it looks great!
  • GFab
    GFab Posts: 75
    Options
    Me too!!!
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Do ya'll like stews and chili and such? You could work on variations of these, and that way give him meat (but vary the *kind* of meat, to make it healthy) -- cutting down on the *amount* of meat* in it... that would be a cool way to work in more veggies, too!

Is he a "I don't wanna see anything green on my plate" kind of guy, too? My one buddy's like that, and it makes me laugh...!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan who is about to marry the world's biggest carnivore. My fiance LOVES lentil stew, tacos and tostadas made with mashed black beans (toast corn tortillas in the oven for low-fat tostadas), and he has become quite the fan of tempeh!

I have found that it's less about the meal as it is the delivery ;-) They get freaked out if you say "TRY THIS SOY ITALIAN SAUSAGE!" Instead, cut some up and slip it in the lentil stew and let them figure it out!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    We're big carnivores around here, but we all like lentil loaf (like a meatless meatloaf) and vegan falafel (my husband thinks of them kind of like meatballs). You can find lots of recipes at allrecipes.com.
  • MeaganAnn84
    Options
    I agree, it's all in the delivery. I made a dill salad dressing with Greek Yogurt, then told my boyfriend after he ate it what it was. He liked it. I try to sneak a salad in a couple nights a week, tonight we're having spaghetti and a salad, then they eat less of the spaghetti because they ate a salad first. :)
  • LixxiKitti
    LixxiKitti Posts: 116
    Options
    i agree with above - go with tacos/chilli beans/rice etc....filling for a guy used to eating a bigger/heavier meal and you can control your portion size/add more tomato/less cheese etc.

also some of the vege meat substitutes out there are pretty good - depending on your partner's mindset you may not wanna jump straight into plain tofu (my ex was terrified by the idea of this but would quite happily eat a vege burger patty or fake chicken kebabs). just check the packet for nutirional info.
    good luck!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I like doing a nice pasta casserole full of tons of veggies (like cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, whatever else you guys like) with pretty much just cooked whole grain penne, tomato sauce, cheese, and veggies. Calories are pretty low because there's no meat and it's super filling.

Does he like breakfast? How about pancakes or a western omelete with whole grain toast and no ham?
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I second the Vegetarian Lentil "Meatloaf" I just made it for dinner last night and had some for lunch today...yum!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Don't understand why you would want less meat (protein) in your diet. I can understand wanting to incorporate more vegetables and other things to get a better nutritional balance, but don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Most people don't get enough protein as it is.
  • Bridgetc140
    Options
    I love to make this for lunch: rice and fat free refried beans on a whole wheat tortilla. I just sautee a little onion and green peppers add the rice (usually 1/2 cup, 1/4 cup for each of us) and 1 cup of fat free refried beans...mix up until hot. Then I put them on the tortilla sprinkle a little garlic powder and cumin, throw in some lettuce and tomato and roll those babies up!! They're huge, delicious and filling.

Fat free refried beans 1/2 cup-90 cal
    1/4 cup brown rice --55 cal
    whole wheat tortilla--100 cal
    tomatos/lettuce/green pepper/onion---less than 35 since there is so little

Less than 300 calories

I usually serve it with some steamed broccoli. Great healthy and satisfying lunch.
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for a spinach rice pie that I absolutely love. Basically you prepare rice (can be brown rice) and then toss it with a couple of egg whites and some cheese (I use parm and cheddar). Then you line the bottom of a baking dish with it and bake it for about 10-15 minutes, until it takes shape and becomes a crust. Then you cook some spinach in vegetable broth (try to find a low sodium broth, cause vegetable broth tends to be high in salt), with onions, scallions, and sundried tomatoes. When the liquid is gone, pour the spinach mix into the rice crust and top it with some cheese, then broil it until the cheese browns.

Believe me, I love my meat, but when I have this dish, I don't even miss it. I don't have the exact measurements on me right now, but I'm sure you could experiment with it and come up with something good.
  • Bridgetc140
    Options
    Don't understand why you would want less meat (protein) in your diet. I can understand wanting to incorporate more vegetables and other things to get a better nutritional balance, but don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Most people don't get enough protein as it is.

There are other sources of protein besides meat. I don't eat beef and rarely eat pork. I have several meatless days per week and I am usually over my protein goal.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    My wife doesn't care for meat, so I have made lasagna without meat and didn't notice the difference.
  • salmonpi
    salmonpi Posts: 16
    Options
    Start with familiar things like lasagna. If he's scared of veggetables start off with just the sauce and lowfat cheeses. Burritos are good too.

If you're not going to be completely vegetarian, then why not make some meals that have just a little meat? Bean soups made with leftover chicken or ham are very filling.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    You could also try to do more chicken and turkey recipes, it's still meat but better for you. I have switched a lot of hamburger recipes to ground turkey and didn't notice the difference.
  • jmccarton
    jmccarton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Gardein
    Quorn
    Morningstar

Those are some companies that make meatless meats. I've been working with Gardein's beef tips lately..........YUM. Quorn has great chik'n nuggets and chik'n patties. Morningstar makes delicious meatless crumbles you can use for chili or whatever. Good luck.
  • Bridgetc140
    Options
    Gardein
    Quorn
    Morningstar

Those are some companies that make meatless meats. I've been working with Gardein's beef tips lately..........YUM. Quorn has great chik'n nuggets and chik'n patties. Morningstar makes delicious meatless crumbles you can use for chili or whatever. Good luck.

Yeah, there's also Boca. I have Boca burgers for lunch some days. In fact, I had that for lunch today also, because my daughter was eating more of my food than me and I was still hungry!! lol Very yummy with a toasted deli flat and a dash of BBQ sauce.
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    wheat angelhair marinara with grilled mushrooms.
    fish tacos...(mahi mahi or orange roughy)
    veggie lasagna
    blackened shrimp tacos
    langastinos in hot sauce over rice
    portabellas stuffed with italian greens
    pierogies(low fat) sauteed with grilled veggies(zucchini/squash/mushrooms/broccolli/garlic)
    wheat linguine and clam sauce
    pasta with greens and hot peppers
    black bean tostadas
    veggie chili
    baked potatoes with sauteed broccoli/peppers/
    angelhair with baked cauliflower and parmesan and veggie hot sausage crumbles
    eggbeaters/hot peppers and fat free cheese sandwiches
    whole wheat pancakes sugar free syrup veggie sausage
    grilled fat free cheese english muffins and tomato soup......here's some ideas. i have the same problem but he doesnt even notice!! hope this helps!!!