Water, water everywhere? No longer available!

Options
2»

Replies

• fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    To the gal from Germany:
    I don't know when they may have started that, I was there in 2001 and if I asked for "pipe water" I received a glass of water free. In France I always asked for une carafe d'eau, a carafe of water and didn't have any issues. However everyone is trying to get your nickles and dimes these days. I too, have no problem with bringing my own water to a restaurant.
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Why should it be free if its from the tap?They still have to pay for it.

This!!!!

I know, they're charged at least half a cent! Woah! Who can take that kind of hit?

In this economy? Not many. Why should you get something for free just for being a customer? Businesses offer discounts, coupons, and deals as a courtesy. It's not required. They're in business to make money, not to give things out for free.
  • fullofhope
    Options
    it's true they do have to pay for the water- but, I thought restaurants bend over backward to get your business for all their overpriced food - so shame on them for charging for water!

Not to mention that fact that the portions are huge and unhealthy, but God forbid a restaurant that serves proper portions that you don't need to take out a loan for.
  • fullofhope
    Options

This!!!!

I know, they're charged at least half a cent! Woah! Who can take that kind of hit?

In this economy? Not many. Why should you get something for free just for being a customer? Businesses offer discounts, coupons, and deals as a courtesy. It's not required. They're in business to make money, not to give things out for free.

You are absolutely right! So YOU go there and pay for water. I will exercise my right to choose, and I choose to go somewhere that will give me a free glass of water with my meal that I will pay for and I can leave the server a nice tip.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    it's true they do have to pay for the water- but, I thought restaurants bend over backward to get your business for all their overpriced food - so shame on them for charging for water!

Not to mention that fact that the portions are huge and unhealthy, but God forbid a restaurant that serves proper portions that you don't need to take out a loan for.

If you have such an issue with it dont eat out lol
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options

This!!!!

You're kidding, right? A courtesy? Do you think they're doing those things to be swell buddies? You do realize they make money by employing these tactics, right?
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I needed to eat lunch out today because we had company. While I found a reasonable entree and side (grilled chicken strips and steamed vegetables) , I discovered that the restaurant no longer offers water! The only way I could get water was to order, and pay for, bottled water. This was at Santa Fe Cattle Company, which I think is a national chain. What a major disappointment...I count on water to keep me from craving peanuts, yeast rolls, and high calorie drinks. The waiter's claim was that the Coca Cola distributor required it and that McDonald's is also doing this. Has anyone else had this experience?

I haven't seen this happen yet, but when it does, we won't be going back to that place! Just horrible. I hate greedy *kitten*.
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I was behind a guy at McDonald's the other day and when he asked for a water she offered him bottled water instead because a drink came with the meal but it sounded like she would have given him tap if he'd asked for it. Frankly, I don't like the "mystery", un-bottled water from restaurants because you never know where they got it from! :bigsmile:

Amen!! My local tap water is excellent, with the exception of some lime problems, but nothing a Pur faucet mount filter can't handle. The taste is clean and not a chemical taste. However, the next towns over have HORRIBLE tap water! I went to Wal-Mart and got a case of the Nestle Pure water (very clean, tested to be in the top 8 cleanest bottled waters), and I keep some handy. When I'm at home, I refill the bottles, but when away, I drink the Nestle water. I won't drink tap water away from home, even if it is free.
  • JohnnyNull
    Options
    As we're on the topic of water, not to derail the thread, has anyone seen "Tapped"?
  • Zaggytiddies
    Options

This!!!!

You're kidding, right? A courtesy? Do you think they're doing those things to be swell buddies? You do realize they make money by employing these tactics, right?

That's my point. They're wanting to make money.... Not give stuff out for free. If they choose to offer a discount, that's on them. You shouldn't expect it, it's not required.

And the idea that, "Oh, it's only a couple if cents they can take the hit." Where does that stop? How much could a tea bag cost? Why should you pay for your iced tea at all? There is only a little butter on my toast... Why should I have to pay for the butter? You mean I have to PAY for the lettuce, tomato and onion on my sandwich?
  • JohnnyNull
    Options
    <snip>Where does that stop? <snip>

It stops here. This is absurd.
  • Zaggytiddies
    Options
    It is. It's water. If you want it, pay for it. If it's free? Great but don't complain if it isn't. It's that simple... And no, I haven't seen 'Tapped' ;)
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Lol go to the bathroom, flush the toliet and wash your hands. You just used about 15 times the amount of water that comes in a glass. Plus they had to pay to warm the water up to a nice comfy temp.

Restaurants that are that stingy make me wonder if they are cutting corners where it matters, like maybe keeping the fridge at the right temp is to expensive so we'll turn it up just a bit. Or throwing away that bread they didn't use fast enough that has mold on it costs too much. I'll take my money somewhere else thanks.
  • Zaggytiddies
    Options
    Lol go to the bathroom, flush the toliet and wash your hands. You just used about 15 times the amount of water that comes in a glass. Plus they had to pay to warm the water up to a nice comfy temp.

Wow. You're awesome.

People bust their *kitten* to keep their restaurants open every day. Owning you're own business takes a ridiculous amount of work. You get charged higher rates for electric, gas, phone service and all sorts of other things just because you are a business... Then people like you come in, want things for free merely because you exist and then get pissy and waste their resources when you dont get what you want just because you can. The original poster didn't say they were denied water, they just had to pay for it. I don't see how it's that ridiculous to pay for something you order. If you bring it in the restaurant in a bottle, you bought that bottle somewhere didn't you? Why not buy it from the restaurant you're eating in?
  • tross0924
    Options

Wow. You're awesome.

People bust their *kitten* to keep their restaurants open every day. Owning you're own business takes a ridiculous amount of work. You get charged higher rates for electric, gas, phone service and all sorts of other things just because you are a business... Then people like you come in, want things for free merely because you exist and then get pissy and waste their resources when you dont get what you want just because you can. The original poster didn't say they were denied water, they just had to pay for it. I don't see how it's that ridiculous to pay for something you order. If you bring it in the restaurant in a bottle, you bought that bottle somewhere didn't you? Why not buy it from the restaurant you're eating in?

Lol kick back turbo. I didn't demand it for free. I pointed out that they have to give you much larger volumes of free water somewhere else. All business give things away for free. It's how they make money too. Ever pay for a napkin, a tooth pick, or a straw? Those little half cent things are put into the price of the meal, which is why I'm ok paying 10 bucks for 3 bucks worth of food. What I said was when they start charging for those little half cent things it makes me wonder if they're cutting other corners, cause honestly how much more money could you save by never throwing food away. Mold? Who cares scrape it off and serve it up, that just saved us 75 cents.
  • Zaggytiddies
    Options

Wow. You're awesome.

Lol kick back turbo. I didn't demand it for free. I pointed out that they have to give you much larger volumes of free water somewhere else. All business give things away for free. It's how they make money too. Ever pay for a napkin, a tooth pick, or a straw? Those little half cent things are put into the price of the meal, which is why I'm ok paying 10 bucks for 3 bucks worth of food. What I said was when they start charging for those little half cent things it makes me wonder if they're cutting other corners, cause honestly how much more money could you save by never throwing food away. Mold? Who cares scrape it off and serve it up, that just saved us 75 cents.

Do you understand that the cost of all those things, napkin, tooth pick, water, whatever are going up? Just like everything else? If they're charging for it, they need the money from it. If it's free, wonderful but if it's not don't complain about it or assume something grody is going on in the kitchen.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    do what I do at convenient stores, I take all my stuff up to the counter and ask to use the restroom if they say they dont have one for customers I leave all my stuff there and walk away.
  • tross0924
    Options

Wow. You're awesome.

Do you understand that the cost of all those things, napkin, tooth pick, water, whatever are going up? Just like everything else? If they're charging for it, they need the money from it. If it's free, wonderful but if it's not don't complain about it or assume something grody is going on in the kitchen.

Which is why the meal is $10 instead of $9. Nothing at a place of business is free. You pay for everything you get there including dish washing and hot water and all of it in the price of the meal. Charging for water can be done. It's a free country, but it alienates customers and is a very bad business move. You run your restaurant they way you want, I just won't eat there, but now it's cause I'm afraid you'd spit in my food. :-p
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    This is about the distributors requiring that the restaurant substitute bottled water, as the orignal post stated. Coke has its bottle water, Dasani, or whatever it's called. The markup of soda and bottled water is astronomical. The Coke costs 2 cents, you pay a dollar eighty. The water costs 2 cents you still pay a dollar eighty.

The sad part here is the cost to the planet of using bottled water. This is another victory for big business, and another FAIL for the planet.

Thankfully none of us eat at MacDonalds anyway, right? :wink: