how to track calories and heart rate if you don't have a HRM

SK24373
SK24373 Posts: 36 Member
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello Champions (I stole that from a fellow MFP'er- love it!!)-

I have read sooooo many posts about how to calculate the of calories burned during workouts when you don't have a heart rate monitor or if the exercises that you do don't happen to be in the MFP exercise database.

First of all, check your Targets and Walmarts. They sell relatively inexpensive HRMS (around 30 and up) that work fine as long as you check your actual heart rate regularly while working out.

If you can't afford one, you can learn how to take your pulse. That's how we always did it before someone was smart enough to create the HRM :)

As for calculating, there are A LOT of exercises in the database, but if yours isn't in there, you can create it once and then you just need to monitor your heartrate during your workout to be able to calculate the # of calories you burn.

Carotid Pulse (neck) - To take your heart rate at the neck, place your first two fingers on either side of the neck. Be careful not too press to hard, then count the number of beats for a minute.

•Radial Pulse (wrist) - place your index and middle fingers together on the opposite wrist, about 1/2 inch on the inside of the joint, in line with the index finger. Once you find a pulse, count the number of beats you feel within a one minute period.

You can estimate the per minute rate by counting over 10 seconds and multiplying this figure by 6, or count over 15 seconds and multiply by 4, or over 30 seconds and doubling the result. There are obvious potential errors by using this shorthand method. If you have a heart rate monitor, this will usually give you an accurate reading.

Once you have your heart rate you can plug your information into the standard formula for calories burned. For females, the formula is (0.074 x age + 0.4472 x heart rate - 0.05741 x weight - 20.4022) x time / 4.184. For example if you are 20, weigh 140 pounds, had a heart rate of 120 and exercised for 30 minutes, your formula would be (.074 x 20 + 0.4472 x 120 - 0.05741 x 140 - 20.4022) x 30 / 4.184.
Calculate the calories burned for males with the equation (0.2017 x age + 0.6309 x heart rate - 0.09036 x weight -- 55.0969) x time / 4.184.
Anyhooo I know this is a little cumbersome but it should give you a good idea of where you are. I would take my pulse after you warm up, during peak periods of exertion and during cooldown so you can see how it changes and if you are getting it high enough.

I have a HRM and I take my heart rate every 10 minutes or so of after a change in pace. Somedays I get my heart rate up into my target range, and others it just slugs....but at least you get an idea of where you are so you can continue to push :)

Replies

This discussion has been closed.