Questions about upper body strength training...

Options
Okay it looks like I won't be doing any lower body work for a bit (busted my supposedly good knee out of no where...not at the gym). The gym I work out at is fully stocked with free weight, cable machines, etc. I plan on working on my whole upper body (abs, arms, etc). My doctors don't really have any advice for me except to take it easy on my knee. Where can I find some good upper body routines? I can't really do standing lifts and such because of the pressure that it will put on my lower body, does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I know that a lot of sources claim that free weights are the way to go in building strength, but I'm really not sure how to approach that area and what I should do haha. Any suggestions for upper body free weight exercises?

Any input is appreciated, thanks!!!

Replies

• tomiwilliams
    Options
    I think the trick is low weight high reps. This way you won't put a lot of strain on your back. You can lay on your back and push the weight up, this will also support your back. Not sure if you have tried Jari Love workouts. You can find her at www.jarilove.ca. My wife and I have a few of her dvd's and we like them.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    would love to hear the responses too.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Okay it looks like I won't be doing any lower body work for a bit (busted my supposedly good knee out of no where...not at the gym). The gym I work out at is fully stocked with free weight, cable machines, etc. I plan on working on my whole upper body (abs, arms, etc). My doctors don't really have any advice for me except to take it easy on my knee. Where can I find some good upper body routines? I can't really do standing lifts and such because of the pressure that it will put on my lower body, does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I know that a lot of sources claim that free weights are the way to go in building strength, but I'm really not sure how to approach that area and what I should do haha. Any suggestions for upper body free weight exercises?

you can do pretty much all the basic upper body exercises seated on a bench.

do you want to do your whole upper body in one workout? or split it up through out the week?
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

you can do pretty much all the basic upper body exercises seated on a bench.

do you want to do your whole upper body in one workout? or split it up through out the week?

Hmm good question. I still want to go to the gym 3 times a week to get on the bike and do strength training. I'm thinking
    abs + back area focus one day, arms + shoulders another day, and a blend on the third (I'm not actually sure if this makes sense or not haha).
  • thkelly
    Options
    i'm by no means an expert but this is something to think about

3-4 sets per exercise
    8-12 reps per set

there's tonnes of combinations of which bodyparts to pair up
    Back/Biceps
    Shoulders/Triceps
    Biceps/Triceps
    Chest/Triceps
    Chest/Back

experiment and see what works for you

Chest
    DumbBell Bench Press
    DumbBell Incline Press
    DumbBell Flyes
    (or use the Chest Machines that every gym has. it's basically the same movement)

Shoulders
    DumbBell Press sitting on the bench
    Lateral Raises (to the side, front and back)

Biceps
    DumbBell Curls
    Hammer Curls (curls with the dumbbell where you turn your wrists so they're facing each other)
    Cable Curls (you will have to stand for these, but if you go light enough it shouldn't put much strain on your knee)

Triceps
    Two Arm Overhead extensions
    Cable Pressdowns (again standing, but it shouldn't be too bad on your knee)

Back
    Lat Pulldowns
    Seated Cable Rows
    DumbBell Rows (this one your lower body will have to hold you up)
  • letsdothis2010
    Options
    This is definitely some good stuff for me to work with :) thank you!!!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    plenty of info on the web.

when someone says 10-12 reps it means no more than 12. if you can do more, its too light etc.

you say strength training. so you should bring those reps down. 5-8 will be more suitable.

remember, less reps for strength, more for size. 4 or 5 to 7 or 8 will get you a nice balance. minimum and maximum rep range...
    if you cant make 5, too heavy, if you can make more than 8, too light.

You'll need to "feel" it out your first time round. But after you first session, you'll know where you stand (or sit, lol)
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You said something in regards to free-weights. Yes, they're the way to go. Try to avoid the machines as much as possible. Of course, unless the doc has something specific for rehabing your knee.
  • thkelly
    Options

when someone says 10-12 reps it means no more than 12. if you can do more, its too light etc.

you say strength training. so you should bring those reps down. 5-8 will be more suitable.

remember, less reps for strength, more for size. 4 or 5 to 7 or 8 will get you a nice balance. minimum and maximum rep range...

You'll need to "feel" it out your first time round. But after you first session, you'll know where you stand (or sit, lol)

for someone that sounds like they're just starting out they need to be working on form and doing the exercises properly. trying to incorporate a 5-8 rep range is just asking for trouble in my opinion because the weight is going to be too heavy. (especially in this case where the OP is limited to seated exercises and may not be able to put full weight on one of her legs)
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options

for someone that sounds like they're just starting out they need to be working on form and doing the exercises properly. trying to incorporate a 5-8 rep range is just asking for trouble in my opinion because the weight is going to be too heavy. (especially in this case where the OP is limited to seated exercises and may not be able to put full weight on one of her legs)

Excellent advice.
  • letsdothis2010
    Options
    Thanks everybody! There's some awesome stuff in here for me to get started with :)