Treadmill calories vs MFP calories

Options
I just walked/ran on the treadmill and when I put it in MFP it said that I burned 253 calories and when I was done on the treadmill it said that I burned over 500. I know that MFP doesn't account for walking/running on an incline, but woul doing my exercise on a 4.0 incline make that much of a difference? I'm unsure what to actually log as calories burned. I usually just use what MFP suggests but I like to eat my exercise calories and want to make sure that the calories that I log as burned are accurate. Which # do I use? Do I just average the 2? I know the best way is to use a HRM but I don't have one---yet.

Replies

• FitMomof3
    FitMomof3 Posts: 147
    Options
    I just walked/ran on the treadmill and when I put it in MFP it said that I burned 253 calories and when I was done on the treadmill it said that I burned over 500. I know that MFP doesn't account for walking/running on an incline, but woul doing my exercise on a 4.0 incline make that much of a difference? I'm unsure what to actually log as calories burned. I usually just use what MFP suggests but I like to eat my exercise calories and want to make sure that the calories that I log as burned are accurate. Which # do I use? Do I just average the 2? I know the best way is to use a HRM but I don't have one---yet.
  • zen68
    zen68 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Go with the treadmil...IMO
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I would use the treadmill calories because it will take into account more factors than MFP averages do. If you want to be on the safe side, average the two, but I think you'll get a pleasant surprise when you do get your heart rate monitor.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    you are right, an hrm is best... there are so many factors, most importantly your weight. The more you weigh the more you burn.

Im not sure about the technology on the treadmill and how it calculates what you burn.. How long were you on there, and what were your speeds?
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    I did the following:
    4.0mph for 10 min
    4.5mph for 10 min
    5.0mph for 10 min
    4.5mph for 5 min
    4.0mph for 5 min

All of this was done at an incline of 4.o.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    The standard seems to be just about 100 calories per mile (maybe a touch more)- you didn't say what your total mileage was...but according to what MFP says I would guess that it was close to 3 miles?
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    It was almost 3 mi exactly.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    It was almost 3 mi exactly.

Well that kinda answers that question, doesn't it!?!?!?! :laugh:

I would use the MFP....

p.s. 40 minutes at that incline is AWESOME!! nice job!!! your legs must be killer -- or killing!?!?! let us know how you are feeling tomorrow!!