protein food ideas

Options
I upped my protein to 25% and cut back on my carbs to 50%, so now I need to eat more protien and less carbs, which is kinda hard, because I eat mainly carbs. For protein I usually eat cheese, mixed nuts, and meat. I need to mix it up and introduce new foods into my diet. What do you eat that has more protein then carbs and is a healthy meal?

Replies

• lk14040
    lk14040 Posts: 90
    Options
    I upped my protein to 25% and cut back on my carbs to 50%, so now I need to eat more protien and less carbs, which is kinda hard, because I eat mainly carbs. For protein I usually eat cheese, mixed nuts, and meat. I need to mix it up and introduce new foods into my diet. What do you eat that has more protein then carbs and is a healthy meal?
  • nelagins
    nelagins Posts: 9
    Options
    Soy is a great way to get protein. You can get a tasteless soy powder to add to yogurt and other things that will increase the protein exponentially. I make a shake with Whole Foods Vanilla Soy Powder, Cocoa, Lowfat Milk, Fat Free plain yogurt (but you can use sugar-free flavored if you want) and a tiny bit of Splenda. The powder is 24g of protein alone.

Good luck!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    you are on the right track, meats #1, cheese (try to keep it low fat), nuts (pumpkin seeds are very high in protein), and don't forget the all important PEANUT BUTTER!!

i keep protein bars handy too - myoplex, etc...

Also, my local health/smoothie store (Robeks) has three protein rich smoothies when I need a boost. Have you considered ordering protein powder to add to homemade smoothies?
  • mecm16
    mecm16 Posts: 13
    Options
    If you like fish, then that's an awesome way to get lean protein into your diet. There are lots of ways you can use canned tuna, which is cheap and full of protein (but usually high in sodium...). I also like to eat fat free cottage cheese (which a lot of people cannot tolerate, but luckily I can!), because it is quite high in protein as well. Other than that, I would also suggest incorporating egg whites and maybe protein shakes into your diet. With all of that you shouldn't have to worry about getting enough protein!
  • racoon1
    racoon1 Posts: 78
    Options
    a 1/4 cupof egg whites any time of day has 14g of protien, 60 cals and 0 carbs I like em fried with 1/3 cup cottage cheese on the side.
  • dluvscoke
    dluvscoke Posts: 3
    Options
    I had no idea there is a tasteless soy powder. I need to up my protein and don't care to eat a lot of meat.Thank you so much for the information. I will definately try it!:smile:
  • BunnyHop
    BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you're in the mood for something fishy, try some sardines.

The King Oscar sardines in olive oil that I like have 14 g protein per can, which is one serving. (but do drain the excess olive oil, I find this works only if the sardines are at room temperature first. If you chill them, the oil will be too thick to drain properly.)

I like them with some fresh lemon juice squeezed across the top.

I'm a cottage cheese fan, too, but prefer not to do the no-fat stuff, I prefer the one that's just low-er fat, for me it's a flavor issue. My mix-in of choice is pineapple, I think it's tangy-ness works well with the cottage cheese.

I also like reduced fat cream cheese. The serving size marked on the package is a FULL ounce, and IMO, that's a LOT. Most of the time I use far less than that, just to jazz up my whole wheat bagel. Even the little bit I use adds a dab of protein to my breakfast, without mass amounts of fat.
  • Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I only count complete protein for my macro intake so this rules out protein from nuts, legumes, etc. Here are some of the foods I incorporate daily to keep my protein at around 250g per day.

Lean beef (96/4) or grass-fed beef when available (usually ground, however steaks rock, too).
    Fish (tuna, salmon, tilapia)
    chicken
    turkey
    Eggs
    Cheese (real, not the low fat stuff)
    raw whole milk
    cottage cheese
    beef jerkey (only when I'm traveling)
    Eggs, eggs, and more eggs!

Careful with the soy, it reduces testosterone in men (BAD) and is associated with fertility and hormonal problems in women.