Annoyed with sizes

missmilarae0213
missmilarae0213 Posts: 42 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Ladies, I know I can't be the only one out there. Some clothes obviously fit better than others because of differences in manufacturers, but does anyone know of a website that lists what accurate dimensions are listed for US sizes?
The lists I have read indicate that I should be in a 3x top and size 24 waist (and to be fair - those WERE my starting measurements 60 lbs. ago...) What gives?

I'm starting to joke that I have 'moldable, squishy fat' just 'pours' into smaller jeans (and NO i don't have to lay down to zip them...) I'm trying to figure out what is reasonable to set a goal for - x amount of inches, because sometimes the scale doesn't keep up and I want to be able to motivate myself somehow!) For example: In the next 30 days, I want to drop ___ inches as a goal to fit into a size ___. I'm not even sure what's a reasonable end goal for my height - I keep getting conflicting charts. (I'm 5'10-1/2" with a large frame, with a goal weight of about 165ish)

Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• I understand your frustration..all i know is what my size is.

im just shy of 6 ft tall, 207 lbs. my waist is about 35, hips about 45 and i wear a 12/14.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    That really is a constant annoyance! I'm 5'7, and now weight about 165. My goal weight - weight I'm most comfortable at - is 155. I'm also sort of a large frame, wide shoulder type person. So I'm betting your goal of 165 is pretty good. So annoying trying to buy jeans: Some jeans I have that I wear now are a size 10, and size 15 (junior), size 13 (junior) and size 8 misses! (Obviously those are my favorite - haha!) Go figure! You'd think they could all get on the same page, and have the same sizes to help a girl out. :explode:
  • meana717
    meana717 Posts: 261 Member
    Aggravates me everyday Twin! I don't think aggravates even the right term, its really depressing for me and makes me hate to go shopping for clothes taht I desperately need!!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    It annoys me too. I read a size chart the other day that said based on my dimensions I should be a size 14... but I started at a size 12 (and could get everything on fine) and currently fit in an 8. I have NEVER been a 14!

... D: I think it's a conspiracy.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    I measure at size 26/4x but I'm currently wearing size 18/20 or 2x (3x is almost obscenely too big for my low neckline shirts), and those sizes fit perfectly (not too tight, not too loose).

It really makes me wonder about vanity sizing, etc. But it's even weirder because I measured and compared vs the store I buy most of my clothes from and it's their in-house brand that I'm fitting small.

I don't get it.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    very irritating. I put on a pair of size 8 jeans the other day, but I wear size 12/14... I think there may be truth to the rumor that clothing is being made bigger so we "the customer" don't feel "insulted or fat" because we can still fit in a size 10/12. When I pull out my Mom's old size 12's- I can't get a thigh in them. I try to pick a manufacturer that I find comfortable and then stick with that, and I found that 10 pounds seems to equal one size, and that was diet only, not with exercise or toning. (I wore a 22/224 at one time)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    It's the same here in Aus. I can be 3 or 4 different sizes depending on make.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    I definitely share your frustration! My niece mentioned the other day that she lost 10 pounds and 2 pants sizes... !?!?!? I lost 25 pounds and went down one size! UGH!
  • nahhan12
    nahhan12 Posts: 79
    Clothing sizes these days are complete rubbish! For pants, I have everything ranging from a size 0 to a size 8. Sadly, the 0's and the 8's fit the same. I have some size 4 pants that fit bigger than the size 8s, yet they're the same brand! It drives me crazy. You aren't alone.

One thing I've noticed is women's pants are starting to be sold in waist measurement sizes like mens. So instead of a size 4 I should be a size 30/34....I assume this is to help the confusion, but it's not working. My waist measurement is 29.5, hips 36.5. Yet I fit into jeans that are a "25".

If you look up Vanity Sizing on google you'll find plenty of information about clothes and sizing issues.
  • We are not notice... That's how I feel when it comes to jeans..
    I have curves and I love my curves... But I would like to get them undercontrol.
    They are too busy making clothes too..
    Hide this, lift that, create this, and to pull what fat we have soft on us in.
    They don't make wide leg jeans.. Everything is skinny leg.

I'm 4'11 147 pounds, and every pair of jeans I own has 1 issue. 1 issue alone..
    I can't find them big enough to get over my hips.. And when I do find a pair to get over my hips..
    I'm 2 pants sizes away from my true jean size in the waist... Then that pop out or gap happens within my jeans.
    I have to wear a belt to keep them on my butt. But when I put that belt on.. The extra inches in waist pops out in the back.
    I only have one pair of jeans that was made with some since... They are a 16m and I held them up to my 12m and 12w.. And they are both the same.. It's all about the designer and the cut of the jeans. That number as of now.. don't mean a thing. I can even wear size 10 all day long from old navy.. And they measure up to my 12's.. SO! I say.. Try on until something fits right...

You can look at your body and see what fits..
    I'm a medium to a large up top..
    And 10-14 below.. Depending on the cut, designer, and how bad I really want them..
  • missmilarae0213
    missmilarae0213 Posts: 42 Member
    Thanks everyone! Glad I'm not alone!!
  • jewels319
    jewels319 Posts: 72 Member
    I have grown to love running pants for that reason alone.......elastic is my best friend!!!!! I have a pair of jeans bootcut size 17........can't get my *kitten* in em.......my issue is my three butts, my four hips....and the six thighs. I just bought a pair of jeans off the clearance rack at Kohls......size 17....Vigoss.....skinny jeans......how the hell do you call em skinny jeans if they are a size 17! Anyway......any other brand the 17's fit my butt and hips but squeeze the heck outta my thighs and i look like a sausage but in these jeans I am comfortable in the thigh area and hip but they are big in the front gut pouch area. They are a bit stretchy so i figure one wash and the loose pouch might shrink a bit. I refuse to buy clothes to accomodate the second me....I have a closet full of 14's......10's.....9's and yes th 6's I am holding my breath for........reality stretch yep...do I care.....nope.
This discussion has been closed.