do you like salmon??

Options
Beachbean77
Beachbean77 Posts: 83 Member
I love fish.. mainly tilapia or other simple white fish. I see so many recipes for SALMON.. but I don't think I like it. The times I've had it seemed too ... "fishy" for me. So my question here is... do you like salmon and do you have a yummy way to prepare it??

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    It's not my favorite food, by any means, but I do like salmon burgers. Most cans of salmon have a recipe on them...or just google it. I never make mine the same. :wink: They're a good alternative to beef burgers, though.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I buy Seapak brand herb butter salmon (in the frozen food section). You can microwave it in a few minutes and it's very buttery and herb-y which kind of covers up the fish taste. I've also heard that if you soak white fish in milk for a while before cooking, it takes some of the fishy taste out of it. Maybe that works for salmon too?
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    If you buy it fresh in the grocery store and not frozen it is less fishy. I like to grill it or poach it. When I poach it, I layer some fresh herbs, like dill and parsley in the bottom of the pan, about an inch of water and bring it to a simmer. Lay the salmon on top of the herbs--it will be partially submerged. Cover and time it for about 4 minutes if you like it mostly done through. If you like it more rare in the center, then about 3 minutes or so. Just make sure you cook it gently or it will fall apart. If you want to grill it, I use a hamburger basket. Spray the basket with cooking spray and spray the fish. Season however you like---a little salt and pepper is good or any other herbs of your choice and grill about 3 minutes per side over medium heat.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I LOVE salmon. But it has to be fresh, b/c if it isn't, it gets funky and fishy fast. Maybe it's b/c it has more oils in it than white fish. So my suggestion would be to get it as fresh as possible, and then no matter how you prepare it, it's wonderful.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! Me and huuby eat it 3-4 times per week!! We live in California desert area so they b-b-q is our main way to cook it. In our markets here is a really great seasoning product called "Salmon rub" - go figure...but I'll be your markets will have something like it. Or we use lemon pepper seasoning, or just dried dill and lemon....you can't keep away from it!!

:flowerforyou:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I love it! I wrap it in tin foild, sqeeze some lemon juice on it or lemon pepper and bake it in the oven until it flakes...that's about it...make sure you buy the wild salmon not the farmed salmon...
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I used to hate salmon with a passion. Like you, I found it greasy and just waaaaay too fishy.

However, wild Alaskan salmon is NOTHING like the salmon you're used to! It doesn't taste greasy or fishy and it's not neon-orange (because it's not dyed).

So try the wild Alaskan Salmon and you may be pleasantly surprised!
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    never had it!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Like any fish or meat getting the best, and freshest quality you can find is really important!
    personally, I bake it or grill it but not for too long -- it should be moist... not dry.
    I prefer it plain and simple... just a little pepper and season salt before baking -- and then a squirt of lemon on it at the table
    but I'm sure you can google a gaggle of recipes :smile:
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Salmon!!!!! My husband (he's the cook in the family) puts it in tin foil, pours Italian dressing over it, wraps the foil around & cooks it on the BBQ. YUMMY.
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I like fish, but don't like salmon.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I do have a recipe you might like. Mix all of these ingredients in a food processor to make a thick spread:

salted buter
    sweet basil (fresh or dried)
    dill weed
    parsley
    olive oil
    fresh garlic
    walnuts or pine nuts
    parmesean and/or romano cheeses
    lemon juice

Season the fish with salt and pepper then spread the mix over the fish and bake at 350 until it's cooked through (about 20 minutes). Lemon juice works to reduce "fishiness".
  • tesstms
    tesstms Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my husband and i have been trying to learn to like salmon. We used to hate it. We started ordering it at some local chains around town which made us less scared to try it at home since we had enjoyed it out to dinner. I bought wild caught alaskan salmon and atlantic salmon altantic is less oily tasting. Have tried on the grill with BBq sauce that the seafood manager at our grocery store suggested sticky sauce, dont need much, bought a fish rack for the grill, it was yum. I also bought from tastefully simple a sauce that they say goes well on salmon. going to try it this week and hope to get good results. I also love kansas city prime rib and steak seasoning. It is good on any fish and meat and chicken , just a light dusting a package lasts a long time. i order it online from kansas city steak co online. good luck!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    We wrap it in foil and bake for about 30 mins...Also grill it....but not long. Play around with marinades. I use gluten free soy sauce on it, or spritz with those salad spritzers and bake..I LOVE fish. I'll use leftovers and wrap them in tortilla or put them in my eggs..or put on a salad
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I love salmon. Around here on the west coast it's fresh and really not too fishy. I usually bake it with some promise or other healthier butter substitute and topped with macadamia nuts. YUM! It's also good on the grill as well.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Salmon is great! Link below goes to the Food Network site to a recipe from a show they used to have called Surreal Gourmet.
    The recipe is for Pepper-crusted maple-soy glazed salmon - can be prepared in the oven, but even better on the grill!

http://tinyurl.com/6hhpv5n
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I never enjoyed it as much as I do now that I've discovered grilling it! Not fishy at all. Delicious and SO healthy with a quick drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of Szeged fish rub. Perfection, served hot or cold with a salad. Give it a try.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I originally didnt love salmon. After learning how to cook it, which is very easy, I have come to LOVE it.

Look at my blog. I have a GREAT recipe under a Lemon...Its For Dinner title. Its very simple and needs NO special cooking abilities :)

I also have a homemade blackened seasoning that is great for just about anything!
  • peachElibrarian
    peachElibrarian Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • staceywoo
    staceywoo Posts: 56
    Options
    I love salmon, especially with a thai marinade. I vary mine depending on what I have in the cupboard, but usual ingredients for the marinade are; lime juice, chilli, garlic, ginger, a dash of soy sauce and a squirt of tomato puree. I usually spread it on the salmon and leave to marinade for at least 15 mins before grilling. It goes really nicely with rice or noodles, and plenty of veggies - with lemongrass and spring onions if you have them. Yum! Tomorrow I'm making this as I have tamarind paste in the fridge...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4543/bbq-tamarind-salmon-with-lemongrass-chilli-and-gin