I need some low carb vegetarian foods!

Options
McFatterton
McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
I have this love/hate relationship with carbs. I LOVE them, but I HATE seeing my number go in the red every day. Same thing with Fat. See, this is my problem.....foods that are high in fiber and protein are also high in carbs (whole wheat/grain bread, pasta & rice, granola, beans, fruits, etc) and foods that are high in protein tend to be high in fat (peanut butter, cheese, nuts, etc......and yes, I know these are "good" fats, but I still don't want to overdo it). I just need some meatless ideas for low carb/low fat, healthy options (I try not to eat too many processed foods either - I've finally gotten my sodium in check!) I know that my diary is private, so here are foods that I eat frequently:

(Almost) daily:
greek yogurt
granola
romaine lettuce
spinach
cucumbers
banana
apple or pear
natural peanut butter
cheese
peppers
onions
olive oil
dark chocolate :devil:

Weekly:
Whole wheat/grain pasta
whole grain rice
broccoli
brussel sprouts
sunflower seeds
almonds/cashews/almonds
potatoes
whole grain bread
tomatoes
skim milk

Occasionally:
beans (normally, I would eat these a lot, but I'm breastfeeding and unfortunately they upset my little guy's tummy)
fish (I am technically a pescetarian, but I really don't like to eat it too often)

I do plan on adding cottage cheese in there too, but I'm heading to the store either tomorrow or Wednesday and I need some ideas. Got any? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You could do a "spaghetti" dinner with spaghetti squash....
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    I wouldn't be worried about your fat count going over because it looks like it is healthy fat. I think as long as your carbs are healthy 100% whole grain then you are good if you go over a little.

You could try to make one of your meals a day completely low carb, no more than 10 carbs, maybe a salad or stir fry.

Good luck!
  • wendyleach
    wendyleach Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Share ny good ones i too am a vegan and its hard to find good food thants not high in carb.

I do like having veggie tacos witht the st ives no-meat its good. I am also trying to invent new casaroles that have way more veggies than rice.
    looked it up 3 veggie tacos small shells, onion, bell pepper, celery (all 3 cooked with meat) some lettuce tomatoe a bit of cheese very full and 33 carbs and 250 calories
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    I agree about the spaghetti squash. It is soooo good!

I also like stuffed portobello mushrooms. Hollow out the mushroom and sautee it with garlic, onions, and spinach. I like to mix in mozzarella cheese and stuff it back in the mushroom caps. I also use bread crumbs sometimes but am trying to keep the carbs out of it! Anyways, it is realllllly good!

I think quinoa has less carbs and more protein than brown rice as well.

Good luck to you! As a fellow carbavore, I totally understand your dilemma!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    trade out white potatoes for sweet potatoes they have a lower glycemic index. i too do daily battle with the carbs. start by switching out white refined carbs for whole grains and then try to reduce qty after. it can be a system shock to go low/no carb if you normally eat lots. increase your proteins too and don't sweat the fats if they're good. you need to get the cals lost from carbs back.
  • coderedcoderedjkjk
    Options
    Egg whites!!! They are like THE perfect food :3
  • coderedcoderedjkjk
    Options
    Egg whites!!! They are like THE perfect food :3
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have this love/hate relationship with carbs. I LOVE them, but I HATE seeing my number go in the red every day. Same thing with Fat. See, this is my problem.....foods that are high in fiber and protein are also high in carbs (whole wheat/grain bread, pasta & rice, granola, beans, fruits, etc) and foods that are high in protein tend to be high in fat (peanut butter, cheese, nuts, etc......and yes, I know these are "good" fats, but I still don't want to overdo it). I just need some meatless ideas for low carb/low fat, healthy options (I try not to eat too many processed foods either - I've finally gotten my sodium in check!) I know that my diary is private, so here are foods that I eat frequently:

(Almost) daily:
    greek yogurt
    granola
    romaine lettuce
    spinach
    cucumbers
    banana
    apple or pear
    natural peanut butter
    cheese
    peppers
    onions
    olive oil
    dark chocolate :devil:

Weekly:
    Whole wheat/grain pasta
    whole grain rice
    broccoli
    brussel sprouts
    sunflower seeds
    almonds/cashews/almonds
    potatoes
    whole grain bread
    tomatoes
    skim milk

Occasionally:
    beans (normally, I would eat these a lot, but I'm breastfeeding and unfortunately they upset my little guy's tummy)
    fish (I am technically a pescetarian, but I really don't like to eat it too often)

I do plan on adding cottage cheese in there too, but I'm heading to the store either tomorrow or Wednesday and I need some ideas. Got any? :flowerforyou:

Hey there you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to the New LLC Site I started last night and there is a yummy Low carb spaghetti recipe and Portobello mushroom pizza recipe in there.....go go fast fast...and I missed you BTW
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if you eat, meat replacement products like textured vegetable protein, or quorn? Also Free range or Organic Eggs are good for increasing protein.

I start most days with Veggie sausage and egg and tomatos. :happy: