Question on Spinach being bad for Thyroid -- ?? T or F

Options
2»

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Here is the answer from my nutritionist on the spinach and thyroid:

If you have NO thyroid problems, there is NO research evidence that goitrogenic foods will negatively impact your health. or prevent you from losing weight. If you do not have any thyroid problems, you can continue to eat as much of these foods as you want.

If you do have a thyroid hormone deficiency, since no controlled research studies have yet to take place, current practice is to avoid "overconsumption" or "excessive" intake of these foods. I would not consider 4x/week over consumption and once again, Yolanda, if you do not have a documented thyroid hormone deficiency, this does not apply. You can eat as much as you want.

Cooking does appear to help inactivate the goitrogenic compounds found in food, but once again research is limited in this area. Your peaches, pears, broccoli, spinach and strawberries are all very healthy foods and have a multitude of health benefits, so go ahead and enjoy them.
  • loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this information. I have started making my own green smoothies in the mornings and it's good to know I can still do my spinach and kale :)