everybody's doing it....

I write for my university's newspaper...thought you guys might enjoy this article:

M.L.
Editorial Columnist

What if I told you that I was using a miracle drug that can remedy obesity, depression, drug addiction, smoker’s lung, sleep troubles and many other impediments affecting your daily life? What if I told you that this drug can get you high, make you happy, improve your academic and social life and make your body run like a machine? And what if I told you that this drug was free and legal? Would you do it?

My name is Madeline and I am mild-to-moderately addicted to running. I come from a family of non-runners. Athletes, yes, but none of us have the lean, bony, fatless body that typical runners have.

My siblings and I stuck to contact sports in high school, and all four of us began running in college to stay in shape. All three siblings have completed at least one marathon, including my brother who qualified for and ran the Boston Marathon.

I began running half-marathons my freshman year of college, and four or five later, I am ready to train for my first full.

I quickly found out that running is neither easy nor boring, as I had once perceived it to be in high school, yet it has the potential to be the most energizing, spiritual, relaxing or challenging part of my day. My self-esteem and confidence sky-rocket during marathon training.My life changed drastically when I committed myself to the sport, and I have an intense desire to share this passion with others.

To those of you who feel unworthy of this miracle drug, I address you specifically.

For the over-stressed and over-worked: Studies have shown that distance running does wonders on the brain. Anxieties become mere annoyances on a run and are put out of the mind. Running provides the perfect mental environment to work out problems. It is one of the most efficient workouts for the schedule-oriented, giving you solid exercise in the least amount of time. Making time for this daily run will force you to improve time-management skills, therefore time is utilized more effectively.

For the smokers: It has been proven that even smokers can recover full lung potential through running. What an awesome gift. There is about 50 percent unused lung potential that can be utilized when running.

For the drug-users: There’s a well-known phenomena in the runner world called the “runner’s high.” The runner’s high occurs when the natural chemical Anandamide crosses the blood-brain barrier, creating feelings commonly associated with those of Tetrahydrocannabinol—feelings of euphoria, relaxation and cessation of pain. Last week I spoke with a professional who described the runner’s high as similar to the endorphin high of heroin.

Finally, for the scared: If you have a desire to begin running, that is the first step. The hardest part is getting out the door. Throw on some athletic clothes and shoes and run up and down campus a few times if that is what fatigues you at first. Read up on tips for beginning runners online, head to the gym and try it out on a treadmill or enlist a friend to try it with you. The main thing is to get started and later you can define your goals more clearly.

I could write endlessly on the benefits of running, but my main reason for writing this week is to plug the Flying Pig Marathon, Marathon Relay, Half-Marathon and 10k races, which will take place the weekend of May 4. Cincinnati’s Flying Pig marathon was recently listed among the top 10 most fun marathons. I highly recommend researching this amazing event online and considering participation. Three months should be allotted to train for the half-marathon, and 12 weeks until race day is Sunday, Feb. 10.

I recommend Hal Higdon’s Novice training schedule which you can print out for free online from www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/nonce.htm
So drug-addicts, smokers, fatties, skinnies, downers and normal people unite! Try out my drug to solve nearly any problem. Come on, everybody’s doing it!

Replies

• mlck2323
    mlck2323 Posts: 87
    I write for my university's newspaper...thought you guys might enjoy this article:

M.L.
    Editorial Columnist

What if I told you that I was using a miracle drug that can remedy obesity, depression, drug addiction, smoker’s lung, sleep troubles and many other impediments affecting your daily life? What if I told you that this drug can get you high, make you happy, improve your academic and social life and make your body run like a machine? And what if I told you that this drug was free and legal? Would you do it?

My name is Madeline and I am mild-to-moderately addicted to running. I come from a family of non-runners. Athletes, yes, but none of us have the lean, bony, fatless body that typical runners have.

My siblings and I stuck to contact sports in high school, and all four of us began running in college to stay in shape. All three siblings have completed at least one marathon, including my brother who qualified for and ran the Boston Marathon.

I began running half-marathons my freshman year of college, and four or five later, I am ready to train for my first full.

I quickly found out that running is neither easy nor boring, as I had once perceived it to be in high school, yet it has the potential to be the most energizing, spiritual, relaxing or challenging part of my day. My self-esteem and confidence sky-rocket during marathon training.My life changed drastically when I committed myself to the sport, and I have an intense desire to share this passion with others.

To those of you who feel unworthy of this miracle drug, I address you specifically.

For the over-stressed and over-worked: Studies have shown that distance running does wonders on the brain. Anxieties become mere annoyances on a run and are put out of the mind. Running provides the perfect mental environment to work out problems. It is one of the most efficient workouts for the schedule-oriented, giving you solid exercise in the least amount of time. Making time for this daily run will force you to improve time-management skills, therefore time is utilized more effectively.

For the smokers: It has been proven that even smokers can recover full lung potential through running. What an awesome gift. There is about 50 percent unused lung potential that can be utilized when running.

For the drug-users: There’s a well-known phenomena in the runner world called the “runner’s high.” The runner’s high occurs when the natural chemical Anandamide crosses the blood-brain barrier, creating feelings commonly associated with those of Tetrahydrocannabinol—feelings of euphoria, relaxation and cessation of pain. Last week I spoke with a professional who described the runner’s high as similar to the endorphin high of heroin.

Finally, for the scared: If you have a desire to begin running, that is the first step. The hardest part is getting out the door. Throw on some athletic clothes and shoes and run up and down campus a few times if that is what fatigues you at first. Read up on tips for beginning runners online, head to the gym and try it out on a treadmill or enlist a friend to try it with you. The main thing is to get started and later you can define your goals more clearly.

I could write endlessly on the benefits of running, but my main reason for writing this week is to plug the Flying Pig Marathon, Marathon Relay, Half-Marathon and 10k races, which will take place the weekend of May 4. Cincinnati’s Flying Pig marathon was recently listed among the top 10 most fun marathons. I highly recommend researching this amazing event online and considering participation. Three months should be allotted to train for the half-marathon, and 12 weeks until race day is Sunday, Feb. 10.

I recommend Hal Higdon’s Novice training schedule which you can print out for free online from www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/nonce.htm
    So drug-addicts, smokers, fatties, skinnies, downers and normal people unite! Try out my drug to solve nearly any problem. Come on, everybody’s doing it!
  • BreaNix
    BreaNix Posts: 205 Member
    Great writing!

Makes me want to learn how to get out and run!
    Thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Nice article, makes me want to lace up and run right now!!

I recently started Hal's novice training program... love it!

Take care
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Oh my-- absolutely-- I took up running a couple of years ago, then let it peter out when I had to get a part-time job, had some health issues, blah, blah, blah. Ended up gaining weight and a ton of stress. I finally decided to stop whining and start running again. With 9 kids and now a full-time job, it is VERY hard to find time to do it, but I'm still trying. The stress relief is incredible, and the feeling of accomplishment is second to none.

Excellent article-- :smile: