Cut your gains and call it a new day?

Options
Who tries to compensate for a bout of cheating?
How long after a blow-out do you still try to compensate?

I'm not talking about mega binge+ (1000s over) here but I am thinking say 500+ over your net goal.

Do you think you can compensate on Mon for a binge on Sat or do you just accept it, go bahhhh & call it a new day?

I know the, more accepted, thinking is you can't "save" calories for use on a binge; you just risk exacerbating the problem by sending starvation signals to your body? But if you've been a bad girl or boy and fueled up 1 day out of 7 or so, can you burn it off, up to say 24-48 hours after the fact?

Who does compensate and thinks it's successful or are you just kidding yourself?
Who compensates out of guilt regardless of whether you think it's of any value or not?

My thoughts lean toward - I expect the odd "off" day, 500 up or down, shouldn't send the whole metabolism machine out of kilter; but at the same time I think on average we are probably fooling ourselves if we try to compensate more than say... the morning after.

Mind you if I'm honest I guess I'm in the camp that tries to compensate out of guilt anyway.

The weekend just gone, we went to the movies & dinner; I went over my daily goal by 400 or so; I put extra effort in on a Sunday evening workout that I routinely wouldn't do - maybe it's a form of punishment for being "naughty"...

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Good job on the extra workout. I would have done that too. The next day is a new day - put the bad day behind you and learn from it. You can go to dinner and the movies and stay on track :-)

Good luck!
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just take it, u figure one day out of 7 won't hurt a bit. I know from experience. Check out my diary, just start/end the next day right right. Weekends are hard for everyone. Think about how you ate before, even cheating one day is better than your habits before. Don't feel guilty one day won't hurt. Now if you go over 500 cals for 7 days that's a total of 3500 cals which equals one pound, so as long as you don't do it everyday you are good. Omg hoe many times did I day the same thing on a different way lol