suggestions for fast food?

Options
I know it would probably make more sense healthy-eating wise to skip fast food lunches altogether, but I really don't want to give up that extra getaway in my workday. I get paid for being the lunch-getter, free food, and generally spend a lot of time sitting around doing nothing at work. Basically, I look forward to picking up lunch, so I'd rather not bring food from home. And I suppose I should cut to the chase: what are your suggestions for a healthy fast food meal? I'm getting bored of salads and subs! My choices include the usual suspects: Arby's, McD's, Subway, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Burger King, Jack in the Box, and Panda Express.

Replies

• muskratface
    muskratface Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I know it would probably make more sense healthy-eating wise to skip fast food lunches altogether, but I really don't want to give up that extra getaway in my workday. I get paid for being the lunch-getter, free food, and generally spend a lot of time sitting around doing nothing at work. Basically, I look forward to picking up lunch, so I'd rather not bring food from home. And I suppose I should cut to the chase: what are your suggestions for a healthy fast food meal? I'm getting bored of salads and subs! My choices include the usual suspects: Arby's, McD's, Subway, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Burger King, Jack in the Box, and Panda Express.
  • fitzio1015
    fitzio1015 Posts: 168
    Options
    go to those fast food websites and check out their nutrition menues....most have them.....before you go and order put all of your meals that ou are going to eat in for the day and see where you are at with your calories carbs fat etc. i don't eat fast food often but when i do i usually go with a burger kids meal and a side salad. or something along those lines. try to stay away from panda express....very high in sodium. and try to do like grilled chicken with no mayo skip the fries and add fruit. hope this helps you out....
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yep, check the websites -- taco salad is very scary :grumble:

Taco bell - bean burrito
    McDonalds - grilled chicken
    Jack in the box -- umm prob nothing
    Wendy's baked potato, they also have a few other thing
    Subway has chef salad options and 6" sub options
    Panda express - love those noodles but, don't think they are a good option

Good luck!
  • diegelmansm
    Options
    Check out the book "Eat This, Not That" It lists all the popular places and which foods to order, and which ones to avoid at all costs!
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I usually end up at Chick Fila... I get the grilled chicken sandwich and a side salad w/ fat free honey mustard dressing.

OR I go to Subway and get one of the healthy subs with no cheese and fat free honey mustard. I get turkey or the roasted chicken or the turkey/ham..... just make sure you get it with NO cheese and get one of the dressings that are low cal/no fat.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Generally, with fast food, I just avoid it. But If I have no choice, I usually go with the Wendy's southwest taco salad (basically just lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, onions, and chilli) but I don't touch the tortilla chips or sour cream.
    If not that, then I usually go with a subway, 6" turkey with mustard and some veggies on a whole wheat roll.

Sometimes I'll mix it up with subway because they have a few things that are decent. But remember, it's those dressings that will kill you, mustard is the only one I usually get because mustard isn't bad.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    couple of suggestions

only eat half the bun - or no bun at all
    always opt for grilled chicken instead of fried
    always get water instead of soda
    ask for no mayonnaise in all cases - mustard or honey mustard is the best condiment
    never get french fries or onion rings- always opt for side salad, fruit, or nothing at all
    Most restaurants have good salad options now, watch for the added ingredients like bacon, cheese and especially the dressings. Perhaps you can bring your own dressing?

Eat an big, red, juicy, crispy apple for a mid morning snack so you are not as hungry at lunchtime.
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    McD's grilled honeymustard snack wrap and split a small fries and your at 375 calories!
  • sassytml81
    Options
    go to those fast food websites and check out their nutrition menues....most have them.....before you go and order put all of your meals that ou are going to eat in for the day and see where you are at with your calories carbs fat etc. i don't eat fast food often but when i do i usually go with a burger kids meal and a side salad. or something along those lines. try to stay away from panda express....very high in sodium. and try to do like grilled chicken with no mayo skip the fries and add fruit. hope this helps you out....

Good advice!

Just as a side note, french fries can depleat your calories for the day, so like someone else said avoid them at all costs. Currently, I usually eat a nice lunch (usually fast food :blushing: ) and just watch my calories for the evening. I might have a Healthy Choice or Lean Cusine. I think that you can basically chose when you want to eat the most calories, but that worked for me.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I've researched a couple of my favorite places and here are the things I get.

Taco Bell- they have a new Fresco menu, basically Fresco means they take out the sour cream, cheese and add pico de gallo. The lightest choice and my fave there is the Fresco Chicken Soft Taco, it has 4 grams of fat and 170 calories. They have a whole Fresco menu though, you might want to check it out.

Wendy's- I get the grilled wraps, no cheese, no sauce and without the sauce and cheese they are still very good and the nutritional value is decent as well.

McDonalds-same as above. For breaksfast at Mcdonalds I get the egg mc muffin, no cheese and I take the top half of the mufin off so it kinds looks like a naked eggs benedict. My husband and I used to looove to get up and go get breaksfast there on Sat mornings so most of the time we just don't go anymore but if we want to treat ourselves I go and get that egg mcmuffin plus a yogurt parfait. I think that whole breakfast comes out to 370 calories and 7 grams of fat when you put it into the food log. It's a little higher end, but I just compensate the rest of the day and eat lighter.

Subway-any of their under 6 grams of fat 6 inch subs on wheat, always no cheese, no mayo, no oil.

Captain D's- they have a good broiled menu, but if you get it you HAVE to ditch the breadstick. It alone has 11 grams of fat and goodness only knows how many calories. I got the shrimp skewers with a spicy sauce one time, didn't eat the rice pilaf and asked for broccoli and green beans as my sides. Even after leaving the rice and bread off I still enjoyed and got full. Can't remember the nutritional value, but it's in this database here.

The main thing is planning. I log my food in the mornings so I know what I can or cannot eat. If something catches my attention on the menu I just come here or go get the nutritional information off of the website of where I'm going. You'd be suprised how many times I change my mind after I research it......just yesterday I wanted a small lemon slush from Sonic....thought ya know, that can't be that bad....looked it up, while it had no fat and 200 calories....it had FIFTY-FIVE carbs (not a counter but that's high) and FIFTY_TWO sugars....that's BAAAAAD. Needless to say I passed on the slush.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat fast food once in a great while. Usually while walking around the mall with friends or something.

At Taco Bell, as some have said..the Fresco Menu is great!! You can get lighter stuff but if you want something that is about 350 cals, 8 fat and 10 g fiber and SUPER filling is the Fresco Style Chicken Border Bowl. They leave off the cheese and dressing and chips....and put that fresh salsa on. I put a little taco sauce on it..but it has the beans, rice, chicken, lettuce, tomato..and keeps me going for HOURS. Or the Fresco Style smaller tacos are great too if you aren't as hungry. (Its a great source of fiber and protein too)

Wendy's is usually a small chili and a side salad or the grilled chicken sandwich with no sauce and a side salad with light dressing.

McDonalds is the grilled chicken caesar salad with the light balsamic dressing

Subway: Any of the 6 inch on whole wheat....I usually get turkey or the veggie one. Great way to get a ton of veggies in. I leave off the cheese because with all the veggies and mustard, I can't taste it anyway!

Once in a blue moon, I will a regular hamburger from Mcdonalds. If I am having a craving for it...but not often.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken salads.
    avoid the "crispy" (fried) chicken at all costs
    subway, stick to the wheat rolls, the fancier the rolls get, the more cal's are packed in.
    I hear the sweet onion chicken teryaki or something at subway is pretty healthy
    other than that avoid fast food.
    Maybe recommend a local shop or something instead that doesnt use all processed foods.
  • muskratface
    muskratface Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! I'm making myself a cheat sheet of nutrition bits for all the best stuff to grab for lunch. Of course, today the gang opted for Safeway soup. Okay, I can do soup, right? But no! Tomato bisque or loaded potato with bacon. 30 grams o' fat per cup. Yikes!