bicycle butt affliction

Options
walnut
walnut Posts: 216 Member
Howdy folks, (especially all you bicycle aficionados!)
I recently purchased an old Schwinn from the 80's or so and have ridden it 3 or 4 times. Each time my butt has been sore later and the next day or two. My bf, who is a former bike messenger, insists this will go away. I think it's a different kind of sore than he knows... see, he has one of those nice cushy round butts :bigsmile: , whereas my body apparently stores the would-be butt fat around my tummy instead. My butt hurts where my pelvic bones hit the seat.

My question is this: how do you know if you just have a crappy seat? It is conceivable that the kind of soreness I'm experiencing might go away if I just endure it for awhile? I could maybe spring $20 for a new, cushy bike seat, but can you get anything decent for that? Is there anything else I can do for $20 that could fix my butt problem? *Ahem.* I can only imagine where this thread will wind up... :laugh:

Replies

• walnut
    Options
    Howdy folks, (especially all you bicycle aficionados!)
    I recently purchased an old Schwinn from the 80's or so and have ridden it 3 or 4 times. Each time my butt has been sore later and the next day or two. My bf, who is a former bike messenger, insists this will go away. I think it's a different kind of sore than he knows... see, he has one of those nice cushy round butts :bigsmile: , whereas my body apparently stores the would-be butt fat around my tummy instead. My butt hurts where my pelvic bones hit the seat.

My question is this: how do you know if you just have a crappy seat? It is conceivable that the kind of soreness I'm experiencing might go away if I just endure it for awhile? I could maybe spring $20 for a new, cushy bike seat, but can you get anything decent for that? Is there anything else I can do for $20 that could fix my butt problem? *Ahem.* I can only imagine where this thread will wind up... :laugh:
  • fitzio1015
    fitzio1015 Posts: 168
    Options
    go to walmart they carry a seat thats called gel tech me andmy husband both have it...its great it is 19.97.......i know where i first started ridin i had the same booty problem:blushing: ....then i got that seat and its all good now......so spend the $20 and get a new seat
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Sore butts take time but you will eventually get used to it--they occur usually no matter what kind of seat you get. I finally invested in a "hornless" seat (see photo in thread below to see what i mean) and it helped me a lot. I think it cost $40. It takes a lot of pressure of "certain" regions and allows a more comfortable natural seating position.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20182-morning-s-bike-ride-photo-a-host-of-sunflowers?hl=sunflowers#posts-175138
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    That happened to me too..lol. I'm just getting into biking again and WOW...did I forget how sore you can be. I used to ride bike patrol for 8 hours a day or more for 5 days a week and would wear bike shorts with a padded seat. This helped enourmously! They feel weird to wear, at first, but you get used to them.
    I'm actually thinking about combining a comfy new seat and some padded shorts, myself.
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    Yes! I used to live in Germany, and we rode our bikes everywhere!

Get a new seat, especially if you don't feel comfortable wearing padded bike shorts. It makes a world of difference which type of seat you have.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you aren't comfortable in the seat, buy a new one. If you're still new its normal to be a little uncomfortable, so he is somewhat correct. However it should go away after a few days. If that doesn't happen, its a problem with the seat. A cover can help, but you may really want to look into getting a new saddle as it may be an issue with the seat itself. Some of the old schwinns have hard plastic seats which really rip into you if even for only a few minutes.

Brooks makes amazing saddles - they're expensive, but its like a hug for your butt:
    http://www.brookssaddles.com/brooksengland.html

They're made in the same process as horse saddles. They're amazing if you do longer bike rides, like centuries.
  • walnut
    Options
    thanks for the tips, everyone. It's good to know that there are cheap butt-softening options out there!
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add my recommendation for buying a new seat. You will be amazed at how much better it is. Get something with gel. The padded shorts are great too. I have a pair for mountain biking and you can't even tell; well I guess I can!