Vibram Five Fingers...

Options
Hello!

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of these shoes - good or bad....

Replies

• bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I have a pair and I swear by them!!

They take a little getting used to as it is a bit like feeling webbed feet, and you need to wear them for small periods of time initially, but I now can wear them all day, they are brilliant in the gym, I wear them walking on the street and to shopping centres!

They are supposed to be very good running on grass but I havent tried them for that yet, as they are supposed to be brilliant for rock climbing (or indoor climbing) and on boats.

They are machine washable and dry quickly, but you need to be careful that they dont start smelling after long uses.

Now I find them so comfortable and I walk more naturally in them - couldnt recommend them more highly!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I got my first pair in November and i looooove them! I have two pairs now and wouldnt trade them for anything :) They do take a week or two to get used to but so worth it.
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    I've got a couple of pairs, and I LOVE them!

They are super comfortable, and great for my weight work because they give me a more natural stance, plus improved balance. Normal sneakers feel so clunky now.

I've always loved being barefoot, and this is the next best thing - I don't like wearing 'normal' shoes now, lol! But unfortunately they don't really match office attire...
  • chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I think I'll have to save up for a pair - I love being barefoot... Thanks peeps! x
  • SmartestRat
    Options
    I really love mine- I have the Bikila LS and they are my favorite model by far. A couple of caveats-

1) If you're running in them, take a little time to actually run barefoot before running in Vibrams. This will teach you proper form because your bare feet will not allow you to shuffle or plod. You should land midfoot, barely touch the back of the heel, then lift your leg for the next stride.

2) Start SMALL. Like, no more than 1/2 a mile or so for your first run. You are using parts of your legs that are not accustomed to being used. Your calf muscles need to build up, the muscles around the base of your leg need to build up, and your Achilles tendon actually has to lengthen as (raditional heeled shoes cause them to shorten over the years). Pushing too far, too fast can lead to pain and injury.

But it is worth it in the end! My runner's knee and tight IT bands are completely gone, I've shaved minutes off my mile, and I feel like a kid when I run. Enjoy it!
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a pair that I use for the stationary rowing machine and cardio machines (elliptical, crossramp, etc). I am a person who would be happier if I could live my life barefoot, so these are perfect for me! I think they're really comfortable (weird at first, but you get used to them quickly). I don't use them for running, though, because I prefer more ankle support for that.

I really think these are a love-em or hate-em kind of shoe, so you should definitely go try a pair on and walk around the store for a bit before you decide to buy them. And FYI, if your toes aren't flexible, you'll have a hard time getting these on your feet. My fiance has stubby toes that don't really bend much, and he wasn't able to get the Vibrams on.