Eating strength training calories?

Options
On cardio days I log my exercises and usually eat back some, or all, of those calories. What about on days I do an hour of strength training? MFP just logs the exercises but doesn't assign any calories to it. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but during my hour of strength training I'm definitely sweating and gettting a workout so I'm sure I'm burning calories in addition to (working on) gaining muscle!

Do you eat back any strength training calories? How many?

Thanks!

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I eat back whatever I burn – including any from strength training. I've got a HRM so I can see what I burn regardless of kind of activity... I'd really recommend getting one if you can :o)

Otherwise I think you can enter 'strength training' into the cardio bit for a calorie burn, but it's obviously not accurate.
  • dean0721
    dean0721 Posts: 143
    Options
    you can select strength training as part of the cardio training, the problem MFP have is that is almost impossible to determine the calories burnt per person, there are alot of factors that affect this, weights, repetitions, rest period, and to be fair the fitness of the person. I think it might be safer to use there calories used as an estimate and something you build the rest of your day around, rather than rely on......
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    It completely depends on what you're doing, but I would have a protein shake or chocolate milk at least after the strength training workout. This will help cover some of those calories (or all of them depending on the shake) and help give protein to your muscles. :smile:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    You can log them under cardio as "strength training" it is in the cardio section but as someone else said it won't be accurate. Your best option to get accuracy would be to get a HRM, I have one and that way I know how much to eat after so I'm not over/underestimating :)
  • afloyd432
    afloyd432 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!
    I do drink a protein shake afterwards, but I build that into my existing calories. Sounds like a HRM is the way to go......any suggestions on what to buy?
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!
    I do drink a protein shake afterwards, but I build that into my existing calories. Sounds like a HRM is the way to go......any suggestions on what to buy?

Polar is the best brand. Maybe a Polar F6, it's a good model and on the minimal side (not with ALL of the bells and whistles), but better than the F4. :)
  • eandrus
    eandrus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use MFP, too. I do strength training three times a week, and I don't add any calories back for it. The way I look at it, I'm probably cheating somewhere else during the day, so it's probably a wash. Anyway, I am averaging almost a two pound a week weight loss since January 1, so I am not complaining. :happy: