My Adult son found this

Options
My Kyle found this and invited me. He has a lot more weight to lose and he is working on it. In my mid fifties, I want to live long enough to see our grandchildren married and am extremely serious about my weight loss. I am a chronic pain patient who has lived with fat too long. After talking with my doctor, he okayed a tiered exercise program. I am loving this. Any advice or encouragement is more than welcome! :laugh:

Replies

• nancymmorris
    Options
    Welcome!! You have come to the right place. You will love MFP. Good luck with your journey!!
  • paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    Good luck on your weight loss journey. Kudos to your son for inviting you go to join. You'll find lots of encouraging people here. I've made some great friends who support me and keep me going.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Your gonna love it here, it gets easier everytime you use it and with all the blogs and support it makes it fun to jump on here whenever you can! Good Luck!
  • cathyv0409
    cathyv0409 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You will find lots of encouragement here! I am interested to hear about the tiered exercise program.
  • walker30
    walker30 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hiya, Ive just joined today and the people on here seem great, full of support, wish you all the best, feel free to add me if you want x
  • cliburn4
    cliburn4 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just joined yesterday and I already like the program. Good luck with your weight loss journey!
  • ultracinch
    Options
    Way to go on making a healthy decision to lose weight. I'm in the same boat...overweight...starting to feel the pain in my joints.
    I decided to get on the shaklee ultra cinch weight loss program and I am having great success. A family member asked me
    to join this site a few days ago and I love it. I just wish I had joined when i started my program 3 wks ago so I could have logged
    in my results. I have lost 7lbs and 14.5 inches in 3 wks on the shaklee program and I hope to continue to do well with the help
    of this site.
    Be sure to measure yourself because if 1 wk you dont lose weight, you're probably losing inches. Consider this journey a
    lifestyle change not just a quick fix. Lets learn from each other and encourage each other....much success to you and your son.
  • ValeriaWins
    Options
    Welcome!
    Keep on, I just joined few days ago, too
    good luck
  • ElizabethRPh
    ElizabethRPh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This site is so much fun and so very helpful! This is the place to be! I am 50+ also and its so hard at this age to loose weight alone! This is the solution. Keep up the good work and stay plugged in!
  • shellyk1979
    Options
    I joined as I have to lose weight for my health as well, I've found the site very helpful. As I've been in and out of hospital for a while my excercise programme been a bit hit or miss lately but I'm starting to get back into the swing of things.

Good luck :wink:
  • glendadykstra
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I have lost 6 pounds so far (10 Days) but I haven't measured myself. I guess I could do the string thing. (Wrap the string around you, mark it, then lay it next to a tape measure-- LOL it does work)

Cathy tiered exercise is starting out very slow and very easy. Working your self up every other day. the alternate days you keep stay at your intial level until you want to work it up. It works great and a lot less pain on the joints and muscles.

Trouble is, I want to do everything right NOW so I push myself harder. I do suffer for it, but for me-- it is a good pain-- I accomplished something I had given up years ago.

I know I have lost some inches. I have a pair of pants that I haven't even been able to get up for years. Everyday, they are going up a little further. (I love seeing little improvements like that.) When I can zip the without laying down.. I will finally admit to myself that I am not that terribly fat.

I do want to know how you all kill those middle of the afternoon munchies and the evening television munchies. :)
  • glendadykstra
    Options
    Now I admit I am the last person you would call expert. I am not even sure I am a novice (LOL).. But.. (As this old lady says) Since starting this, I am eating three decent meals a day as well as a couple of snacks that are healthy. I have lost over ten lbs on this in the 45 days I have been here. For someone who isn't young, who is in bad shape, had bad back, bad hips, bad knees, and a bad attitude towards exercise, I think that the key is moderation. I worked up to almost 2 miles of walking, I worked up to 30 minutes of elliptical, and we are still working on hiking. Poor grandson and husband have to help me quite a bit on that one.

Common sense says that while you are shrinking fat cells.. You are building muscles which require the 'right' fuel. I am assuming (since I haven't looked it up) You need the right carbs, the right fat, and lots of protein.

My son says you can tell in my legs that I am building muscle. As I told a friend, I was taking a shower and found these strange bumps on my arms and legs... WELCOME back muscle. There is now definition to my arms and legs. (The stomach is still hanging (literally) around. I expect to start seeing improvement there as I build sleek muscles.

Having this place as a way to keep track, a sounding board, and support-- beats everything else I have ever tried. :)

Thank you all